Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       04-25-2016, 7:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Know this thread is a little old.
I'm assuming all these EcoBoost experiences are on the 3.5L?

Anyone have any experience with the 2.7L Ecoboost?

I tow an 89 Supra sunsport, I'm guessing weights around 4500-5000 lbs on the trailer (Factory dry weight is 2950, but with very solid floor/stringer rebuild, tower, stereo equipment, etc... and trailer guessing closer to 4500-5000).

It will kill 5000 lb.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
Jeremy, you are right, the 2.7 does awesome with my boat, and will get awesome mileage (ok respectable for a vehicle that size) everywhere else.

Really happy with my purchase so far. I would have never thought to buy such a small engine in a full size truck.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
I'll give my opinion and It doesn't mean much ..lol I would never buy a pissed off wound up V6 to do the job of a V8 . I know they make good power and all that but I just don't feel like 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles is in the cards for that little booger . My next issue , to be honest with you guys yes a half ton is rated to tow most wake board boats but once loaded up with fuel and a weekends worth of camping gear and you are really pushing the limits of a half ton . I think if most guys drove a 3/4 ton truck with the load they are currently carrying on the back of a half ton they would agree with my statement .
With all that said I do think my father inlaws lifted 2015 F150 with the 5.0 tows very well . I am very impressed with it .
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-26-2016, 1:48 PM Reply   
I went the other way I had a fully built LMM duramax and now drive a 6.2 Sierra Denali. The duramax was great but the 6.2 pulls almost just as good with just headers and a custom tune. Now the duramax would pull up the side of the mountain better and the turbo brake was great. But even though I pull my 24v twice a week most of the boating season. The Sierra is just better the other 80% of the year I don't have a boat behind me. And if something goes wrong its ALOT cheaper to fix the 6.2. I can blow up the 6.2 and go buy a junk yard 6.2 with 60k miles for 3,000 and put it in myself. I can't do that in a duramax it would cost 6,000 for a head gasket job in a duramax. And that why I got rid of it, I can't leave stuff stock and knew if stuff it the fan in a diesel it was cost to cost me to much.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I went the other way I had a fully built LMM duramax and now drive a 6.2 Sierra Denali. The duramax was great but the 6.2 pulls almost just as good with just headers and a custom tune. Now the duramax would pull up the side of the mountain better and the turbo brake was great. But even though I pull my 24v twice a week most of the boating season. The Sierra is just better the other 80% of the year I don't have a boat behind me. And if something goes wrong its ALOT cheaper to fix the 6.2. I can blow up the 6.2 and go buy a junk yard 6.2 with 60k miles for 3,000 and put it in myself. I can't do that in a duramax it would cost 6,000 for a head gasket job in a duramax. And that why I got rid of it, I can't leave stuff stock and knew if stuff it the fan in a diesel it was cost to cost me to much.
Valid points !! So is the 6.2 a half ton ?
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
I'll give my opinion and It doesn't mean much ..lol I would never buy a pissed off wound up V6 to do the job of a V8 . I know they make good power and all that but I just don't feel like 2 to 3 hundred thousand miles is in the cards for that little booger . My next issue , to be honest with you guys yes a half ton is rated to tow most wake board boats but once loaded up with fuel and a weekends worth of camping gear and you are really pushing the limits of a half ton . I think if most guys drove a 3/4 ton truck with the load they are currently carrying on the back of a half ton they would agree with my statement .
With all that said I do think my father inlaws lifted 2015 F150 with the 5.0 tows very well . I am very impressed with it .
I loled so hard at your pissed off wound up v6 comment. That couldn't be farther from the truth with that motor. It builds all its torque at 2500 and only slips out of o/d when passing slow pokes pulling my tige 23v. Unless you've had a different experience, but mine never screams like my old 5.3 did pulling the same load and same route. It's no comparison.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-27-2016, 5:44 AM Reply   
yes 6.2 is a half ton, You can get a denali with a 6.2 from 2007 to current year and you can find them in regular Sierra and Silverado's from 2009 until current year.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2016, 6:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTyler89 View Post
I loled so hard at your pissed off wound up v6 comment. That couldn't be farther from the truth with that motor. It builds all its torque at 2500 and only slips out of o/d when passing slow pokes pulling my tige 23v. Unless you've had a different experience, but mine never screams like my old 5.3 did pulling the same load and same route. It's no comparison.
That accounts for the rpm's but how about the turbos? Do you think they will last 200 to 300 thousand milies? I doubt they would make it much past 100,000.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-27-2016, 6:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
That accounts for the rpm's but how about the turbos? Do you think they will last 200 to 300 thousand milies? I doubt they would make it much past 100,000.
Why not? Turbos in diesels last much longer. If they don't, you would be replacing them in either truck, so its a moot point. I just got a 15 F150 with the 3.5L and it pulls WAY better than my old Tahoe with the 5.3. The Tahoe was always way up in the RPMs and hunting for gears. The 3.5L Eco chugs along at 2000 RPM going 78 on the highway when not towing and about 2500 RPM when towing.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-27-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Why wouldn't they? How long have diesel engines had turbos and look how many 100,000's of miles they go.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-11-2016, 6:22 PM Reply   
We just bought a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5 Eco and max tow packages 9 (rated for 9400 lbs) and it pull our 08 Moomba LSV way better than my 06 Dodge Hemi. Only down shifts on the steepest of hills in my area where the truck would down shift making it over an interstate over pass. Chugs right along at 2,000 rpm at 70 mph pulling.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-12-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have an 11' 5.0 with custom tunes from Mike at 5 star tunes. If you want your 5.0 to really come alive hit up mike. Almost all of the guys on the f150 forum run mikes tunes. I have 34" tires on mine and the tunes took all of the throttle lag away and made my shift points waaaaaaaay better. I highly recommend it.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-12-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
I am a huge fan of the EcoBoost, but I thought I would give you guys an update.

I bought a 2011 F-150 ecoboost in September of 2011. Loved the truck. I am a MasterCraft dealer and tow multiple boats daily. I also have a 7,400lb travel trailer that I pull over the Colorado passes on the weekends in the summer. I have been extremely satisfied with the power of the truck. The only modifications I have done is to add air bags to help with the travel trailer.

At 32k miles, the driver's side turbo started leaking a little oil and coolant. A new turbo was installed under the factory warranty.

At 52k miles, I was changing the oil and noticed a little oil residue leaking out of the turbo inlet. I had been reading that it would be beneficial to install catch cans for the inlets to prevent this condition. Meanwhile I made an appointment to take it in to Ford to see if they saw any other problems while it was still under the power-train warranty. At this point I was interested in getting an extended warranty because I really wanted to keep the truck longer, but was leery about the ongoing driver's side turbo issue. FYI, replacing the turbos on this truck is not so quick and easy. Ford bills 22hrs labor for one side....

I get my quote for an additional 50k warranty and it was very reasonable, so I was excited. I walk back to service and they say that the gaskets on the "new" driver's side turbo were leaking, but that there is a new and improved gasket that they wanted to reinstall. Part cost $32. Labor $1900. No warranty, "external engine part".

Thought about getting another Ford, but this is the third Ford I have had with turbo issues. 2006 F350 6.0 , 2008 F350 6.4, and now 2011 F-150 Ecoboost. Long story short, I now own a new Duramax. Pulls great, but I do miss driving a half ton sometimes.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-12-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
Same here on the eco junk 3.5. Father in law had one of these in his wife's '11 Flex, and it grenaded itself at 50,500 miles, JUST out of warranty. Ford didn't offer to help in any way what so ever. Seems like a lot of people have issues with CA's crap 87 octane and the engine knocking. We have 2 more eco boost F150's and have since switched to running premium.

None of these vehicles have gotten anywhere NEAR their advertised mpg, was lucky to break 16 mpg average in the F150s. Once we retire them we're going back to V8 Chevys.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-12-2016, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
None of these vehicles have gotten anywhere NEAR their advertised mpg, was lucky to break 16 mpg average in the F150s. Once we retire them we're going back to V8 Chevys.
I am not a diehard Ford guy. Have had all three brands in the past, but my current '15 F150 with the 3.5 gets 18+MPG all day in city driving. If you do an extreme amount of stop and go, I can see this going down. Otherwise, you must have a pretty heavy foot to be AVERAGE 16 mpg.
Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
Strange, I got 21 mpg with 45-65 mph farm land driving and a few lights

May be you drive your truck like a lightweight sport vehicle and hit the gas pedal down to the engine box at each start or 100% of the time and when not doing so you just slam the brakes to stop at red light or avoid collision .

I guess you will consume much more in a V8 chevy

Last edited by xxrb2010; 05-13-2016 at 6:21 AM.
Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2016, 6:23 AM Reply   
Full disclosure, when towing I average 10-11 MPG, 70 mph highway
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2016, 10:25 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about the issues you had Alan! Hopefully the Duramax treats you right.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-13-2016, 10:36 AM Reply   
Funny thing is that I drive pretty calm most of the time. The F150 for me would never crack the 17 mpg barrier, even on long highway cruise control jaunts.

The Silverado is all together different. I'm usually averaging 16-18 mpg in the city, and I've had the 400 mile average as high as 22 at one point. Already have 15k on it too.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       05-14-2016, 8:01 AM Reply   
We have 3 eco's, one of each gear ratio. The first is a 2011 FX4, it's got 200K miles on it, 3.73 gears, tows 8000lbs. every weekend since new. No issues.

The second is a 2012 XLT, 3:55 gearing. 110K miles, tows the same load twice a month. It has had a slight surge issue with the transmission since 30K miles, but not enough to warrant repair.

The third is a 2011 XLT, 3:31 gearing. Has 120K on it, I tow 10,000lbs in a 24 and 27' trailer. Only issue has been the transmission range sensor not allowing the vehicle to go fully into park at around 100K miles.

I'll never buy another naturally aspirated truck again. The eco's are super quiet, like you can't even tell they are running. I can go 80mph uphill with 8000lbs. behind the truck and still only be running at 2200-2500RPM.

Mileage is negligible between the three gear ratios. About 19mpg unloaded, you can get up to 21 if you really watch the pedal. I don't worry about the mileage, I average 16 and that's with towing and such too. With the trailers connected all run about 8-10mpg.

I will say for each purchase, I test drove a bunch of different Eco's, even the dealer models when new. They are all different. All of the 5.0's are predictable and the motors feel exactly the same. The eco's all feel different, even new ones. I drove 10 before I picked up the last one, which I found that felt perfect. I'd drive one and it would have crazy turbo lag then kick in, one would shudder on accel, one would shudder on deceleration, one had a high pitched whine when the superchargers kicked in.

The only thing with these trucks is that the plugs burn way hotter than normal gassers, especially when towing. I only get about 30K out of the factory plugs, but they are easy to change, like 15 min. easy. When they go, you get a little stutter in the truck, then it falls flat on it's face and will go into limp mode. I keep 6 plugs and a spark plug and 8mm socket in the truck in case I need to swap them out on a long haul. I've found that for $70 every 30K miles it's well worth it to swap them out.

These trucks will more than do the trick with any wake boat, and will not leave you wanting a diesel.

Do your homework and if you don't know what you are looking for, get a mechanic or a buddy who knows eco's to come with you when you want to make a purchase.
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2016, 3:36 PM Reply   
Hahah you said supercharges kick in. I hope that was a typo!!!!