Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2016, 7:14 AM Reply   
https://www.instagram.com/mcboatcompany/

Anybody else see this on instagram today???
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-10-2016, 7:19 AM Reply   
It had already been released that there would be bow thrusters on the X26. Looks like they work pretty well, but that's not really unexpected.

I believe Pavati has stern thrusters available, and maybe bow thrusters.

Not really surprising, have you ever tried to dock a 25 foot, 6,000 lb inboard? Good luck in anything above 5mph winds.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
Well I dock a 24' inboard every time I take my boat out. SOOOOOO

It's not that bad even in the wind. I'm not saying it would help though.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-10-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
I personally think it is ridiculous, but every manufacturer has a few ridiculous options. I'm sure it would help a skilled pilot, but giving a guy that struggles to dock a 26ft inboard one more control to add to the steering wheel and throttle (remember he only has 2 hands), probably won't help him much.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-10-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
I can handle my 23' without issue. with ballast its over 6000. and more weight helps you stay put in the wind.

looks like you can move the bow left or right. not 360* joystick style thrusters. anybody who's driven an inboard will tell you it would be nice to have. BUT its a $10K option on a 160K boat. Fortunately, I know how to drive my boat.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2016, 10:38 AM Reply   
Agree^^^^^
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2016, 10:52 AM Reply   
Bow thrusters would be awesome on my 9500 pound G23, but not for $10k. I'd be willing to shell out maybe $2500 for that option. It would be especially handy in shallower water...turning in reverse with that much weight requires a significant rev on the prop, which can get pretty messed up when you find a small rock.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
Bow thrusters would be awesome on my 9500 pound G23, but not for $10k. I'd be willing to shell out maybe $2500 for that option. It would be especially handy in shallower water...turning in reverse with that much weight requires a significant rev on the prop, which can get pretty messed up when you find a small rock.
I mean 12k pound G.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-10-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Well I dock a 24' inboard every time I take my boat out. SOOOOOO

It's not that bad even in the wind. I'm not saying it would help though.
Maybe you can but the newer style higher freeboard boats catch the wind a lot more that you would think. On a very windy day my X23 gets pushed around a lot with the wind. I have been around inboards my whole life but there are times that no one is perfect.

My father has bow thrusters on his 50ft boat and they are sweet and it makes docking so easy.

10K is steep but when you think about what all goes into having Bow Thrusters its actually not that bad.

I can't remember if the X26 uses a traditional bow thruster or uses a water pump instead of the propeller style.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2016, 3:50 AM Reply   
10k is steep. You only need a pump, some hose, 2 valves, joystick and 3 through hulls. I think a 3k sounds fair, but not 10k.

I think it is a nice option. I have a 23ft and sometimes I would appreciate such an option. Not everybody lives on a private lake with tons of space.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-11-2016, 5:49 PM Reply   
You will have over 3K in parts. Then there's labor... Then R&D already done...
Yeah you can spend less but you will get less of a overall product as well.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-12-2016, 6:57 AM Reply   
If you can find somebody to do the work...there are places that will install it for about $7k.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-13-2016, 5:46 AM Reply   
Any body else see anything wrong with this picture? The wakeboats are so big and heavy they need bow thrusters to maneuver them?
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-13-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Any body else see anything wrong with this picture? The wakeboats are so big and heavy they need bow thrusters to maneuver them?
You're using the term "wake boat" pretty loosely when you're talking about the X-26. This thing is basically a 26' cruiser that is made to look like a wake boat. It should not even be an option for someone who is a serious rider.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-14-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
OK still not many 26' cruisers need bow thrusters. Its either a very large wake/surf boat or a very expensive cruiser?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-06-2016, 6:46 PM Reply   
A 26' boat does not need a bow thruster. Would it help in certain situations, sure, but people should learn how to drive and save their money...

I have driven a 56' Bluewater Yacht/Houseboat several times without bow thrusters. With twin screws it is completely managable, but a bow thruster would be nice.

I grew up with a 36' Gibson houseboat with a single screw. That sure teaches you how to drive a boat. Patience and slow will always get you home,..
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-07-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwakerider View Post
I grew up with a 36' Gibson houseboat with a single screw. That sure teaches you how to drive a boat. Patience and slow will always get you home,..
probably true, but without thrusters it would still be a nightmare to dock in the wind. I personally would not spend the money on thrusters for a 26' boat, but given these kind of boats are often in the hands of relatively novice and unskilled boaters, I can see why some would. Even my "little" 22' boat is a PITA around the dock if it's windy. Luckily wakeboarding and wind are mortal enemies, so I'm rarely out if it's windy anyway.