Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-07-2015, 2:37 PM Reply   
Have a 2013 Tomcat 21' Doesn't have surf tab!

So tried to figure out speed and wave this weekend and couldn't dial it in. Never got a crisp wave. So wondering how any other owners setup? I did surf side full and other side half and changed speeds alot to try to find it. Also tried none in other side.

Heard that may have to add some weight to surf side in the mid seating area but hoping someone here has a set up that they can help me with.

My other MB had a surf tab and I had an awesome wave with just stock tanks. May have just not tried hard enough to find it, but someone here always has the answer so just gonna ask.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2015, 9:42 PM Reply   
You cant get a clean wake on the boat without the trim tab. My in laws have one without the trim tab and I have tried but havent had any luck. It still puts out a strong wake, but I am stuck to doing only surface tricks. The wash wont let me get above the lip.

I know a guy who put this huge mud flap on his boat to knock the spray down and it cleaned the wave up. The flap was huge and not attractive, but it worked.

I suggest installing a trim tab if you want a clean lip.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-08-2015, 5:08 AM Reply   
you can get a great wave with an MB with no tab. i have a 2012 tomcat no tab

Goofy - surf side full. 540 bag in back locker, 540 bage under seat behind driver, and one or 2 people on surf side. 11.4 mph

Regular - same set up but put i 540 up front on surf side. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-08-2015, 5:23 AM Reply   
Micah's very nice pics notwithstanding, the trim tab does do a great job of cleaning up wash and is a pretty straightforward DIY project. There are several pictorial "how to" threads on the MB forum.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-08-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nice wave Micah!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-08-2015, 12:24 PM Reply   
Awesome Micah!! Thank you so much. YES I could add the tab, but it's over $2000 and just don't want to do that right now. So, I will likely buy a bag or something and get that weight like Micah. We all surf Regular, so I am hopeful this cures us.

Micah.... one more ask

Do you use stagnant weight or water bags? Also, if we are surfing REG... let me make sure I understand. weight in surf side locker, then weight in bow on surf side with non surf side hard tank with NOTHING in it?
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2015, 4:52 AM Reply   
i use water ballast.

Regular - Stock full, 540 bag in rear locker, 540 bag under seat infront of locker, and 540 bag up front on surf side ( and it wouldnt hurt to put a person p front also. makes the wash go away.

and im pretty sure you could just get a trim tab from like amazon or ebay. for much less than $2k.....im thinking $200
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-09-2015, 10:12 AM Reply   
Yeah the DIY tab should not set you back more than $250. Maybe a little more if you have absolutely no tools already.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-09-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hmmm ok... so where do I find this tab.. any links or help would be appreciated. I am pretty handy so I think I could do it myself, but not sure where to start.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-09-2015, 10:43 AM Reply   
searched.... lenco? see that they are much cheaper, but what one to get or any thoughts??
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-09-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
Scott, here's my photo write up. Be sure to read the whole thing because there are a few low/no cost changes I would make if I were doing it again:

http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.ph...oidable-goofs/
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-10-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
Awesome write up!!

So, can I ask has it made a lot of difference on cleaning up your wake?

Last edited by ScottR; 06-10-2015 at 6:37 AM. Reason: add
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-10-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Awesome write up!!

So, can I ask has it made a lot of difference on cleaning up your wake?
Scott, I sold the boat last fall, but yes, the difference in the surf wake was night and day.

Here are a couple of videos of the wake... you be the judge whether it's clean.

Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-10-2015, 8:51 AM Reply   
I had great luck with my 2012 MB f21 tomcat. I put in a diy trim tab and found it was fantastic!

I did however run much more weight

I ran enzo sacks (1450lbs) over factory ballast in the rear and an A frame sack (650) up front.

I had to upgrade my prop but damn that wave was awesome!!!
(Pic is of my buddies 2013 MB F21 Tomcat with identical weighting and equipment)
Attached Images

Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-10-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
can't wait to do this then.

Since I have asked all this, I might as well keep going.

Since we have gravity fed ballast how did you plumb your "fat Sacks" or whatever you are running? Did you hard wire them all in? pics of that?

Never had any additional weight in any of my 4 boats in the past but to get a wave that nice I am thinking about it. Just have no clue how to think about adding 750 in rear and weight in the nose. and how that even works..... is the pump external and you just throw it over and let it suck up the lake? lol sorry that is a stupid question but never seen externals filled or emptied.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-10-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
scott here's another thread where someone plumbed in an external ballast system in an MB: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797238
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-07-2015, 5:13 PM Reply   
So found someone with the actual MB plate, actuator, wiring harness and control box. $600. YES / NO? Says will make my guage work and should be able to use the rocker switch that is already in my boat.

Shawn - Nik anyone else with a thought on this deal?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-07-2015, 8:43 PM Reply   
Anybody have a pic of these MB's with the weight in it listed? That much weight has got to be scary... I have some old pics somewhere of an F21 weighted to its guts, have to see if I can find them...
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-07-2015, 8:53 PM Reply   
Ha found them... Talk about scary!
Name:  Tomcat1.jpg
Views: 5507
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  Tomcat.jpg
Views: 5072
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  Tomcat2.jpg
Views: 5203
Size:  87.6 KB
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-08-2015, 7:02 AM Reply   
Josh now that looks stupid. I am not going for that at all. Have 4 kids with me always so still need to be safe. That has to be way more weight than a bag in the surf locker and one up front.

That color scheme is my boat tho.... pickle fork and all. I just have the new tower.

Last edited by ScottR; 07-08-2015 at 7:03 AM. Reason: Add
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-08-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Josh now that looks stupid
That's why I don't surf! I let my boy surf my F21 with 450 up front and 400 in the back locker and messed with the internal ballast. I was still a nervous wreck with rollers and coming off the throttle.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-08-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
My boat is very similar to those colors and love the look!!! That is overkill but I would do it once for grins maybe lol!!!
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
23WB MB's make the sickest, longest, cleanest wave when weighed correctly.

You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zx3R-Uxck0

Hit up Drew Richardson (Surffresh) on here for the scoop on how to weigh your boat. This boat was not listed like the Tomcat above. Oh, and no exposed sacks.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
That was a very clean wave!!! Good set up!