Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
So I'm riding a Ronix Code 22. I think it's great, BUT when the water temp drops below 65-70, the board seems to drag like crazy, as if I was pulling an anchor - my hands and arms hurt like crazy when I ride, and I get so much line tension!

I realized the other day that I may have gone too short on the board. I weigh around 180-185 lb and my board is a 138. According to the size chart I prolly should have gone with 143.

So is there a link here between water temp, board length, my weight and the board's perceived speed.

I'm thinking hard about selling the 138 and getting a 143. Should I get a noticeable difference?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-10-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
You should definitely be riding the larger size. I weigh around the same and have ridden up to a 146 and liked it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-10-2015, 7:29 AM Reply   
theoretically the board should rider faster in cooler water an ride deeper as temps drop.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-10-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
Colder water is denser/heavier as the molecules condense at lower temperatures, though im not sure how much impact your will actually get from this unless we are talking a big temp difference like 40 degree water versus 85 degree water or something like that... on the other hand though, board size and speed make a huge difference. It seems to me based off some calculations I have done that most of the board sizing charts seems to be off as they do not properly take into account the needed increase in surface area for an increase in rider weight. Your buoyancy is essentially based upon lbs/sq inch of surface area and then adjusted for speed as faster speed across the water will also reduce your downward force. Therefore, there are essentially 3 ways to fix this draggy feel - larger surface area, faster speed or decrease weight. In short, yes you would notice a difference on a 143 versus a 138. Also, what speed are you riding at?
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-10-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
I'm usually riding at around 21.8. Yes I do find myself increasing boat speed in colder water to get less drag. already at 22 there is a difference.

I'm trying a 143 tomorrow, will report back.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-12-2015, 9:14 PM Reply   
So I got to try a 143 today. Noticeable difference. Less drag on the board. Lots more pop and air time. Toeside got so much easier and floatier.

Ollie 180s felt heavier though and I crashed on a few ollie BS 180! But other than that, big improvement.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-13-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
No way water temp is slowing you down enough to notice. Even it was absolute glass and you rode them back to back, I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

The code is an aggressive continuous (Its rocker accelerates as you reach the tip) so it is fast, but not super fast. I think it is a really good balance. You could really go to the 143 without an issue. I've ridden both sizes and the 143 flicks around a lot easier than you would think. I ride the William 140 and I'd probably go to the Code 143 over the 139.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-13-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
I'm guessing that cold weather is affecting your muscles more than the drag on the board. But a 138 does seem small for a 185lb rider.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2015, 10:26 AM Reply   
My guess is that the cold is making you tire easier causing you to feel like there is more drag. I have always felt like my boards are faster and pop better in the cold as the water is more dense. You can really notice this if you ride a big lake one day, then ride a private lake in the valley or desert the next day. Private lake is warm and mushy and the lake is the opposite.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2015, 6:01 AM Reply   
^^ Truth. What westsidarider said is exactly what I feel, and with similar effects when I (slalom) ski. I often had the chance to ride or ski different lakes on the same day. Coming from our big lake, the smaller or private lake felt exactly that: mushy. I can only see the water temp as being the factor that's making the difference.

Anyhow, the larger board (I now bought the 143) is definitely an improvement and getting me less drag.