Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-20-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
If you are a sponsored rider representing your brand at a boat show or other event, here are some tips:

1. Do not show up drunk, hung over, or coming down from a high. Be clean and sober.
2. Grooming is important. Do not look like you just got out of bed and smell like it. Shower, shave, haircut, clean and pressed clothes. You are a professional - look that way. The pubescent shaggy look is really bad.
3. Be well spoken. The "valley girl" impression may work with middle school students. Learn to articulate good English.
4. Know the product line and the marketing brochures. It is you job to have this information down cold. You have about a minute to establish credibility.
5. The potential buyer is why you are there. Standing around in a scrum of other pro riders and making inane comments about passing women does not make your brand stand out in a good way. Meet, greet, make a positive impression, and match people up with your brand's gear.
6. Be very respectful of kids with their parents. The kids are excited to meet you. The parents have the funds to pay you to ride. If you fail to connect with the kid and disrespect the parent, you will lose brand loyalty for probably 3-5 families. Sign autographs, pose for pictures, listen patiently to silly stories. It really matters.

End of rant.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-20-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
WEll SAID!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-20-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
Nice Karl! Agreed.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Amen. That said, the pros at boat shows I've been to have never been anything less than consummate professionals, especially Zane Schwenk. The guy is a class act!
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-20-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
Excellent post. When you are in the public eye people are watching you constantly and unprofessional conduct -will- hurt you.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
Most of the pros i've met at shows were clean cut and professional.That is if they were in their mid to late twenty range.But let's remember we all had to grow up some time.It's just some do it faster than others.I would think the Dealers and Manufacturers would police this a little better.After all like you said they are representing your product.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-20-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
umm. they are professional wakeboarders, not professional salesmen, they get paid because they can wakeboard better than most in the world. The term "Professional" refers to them getting paid to wakeboard. Thats it. If the brand feels as though they are not representing their product well, they can take care of it. You had a realization to how most "pros" are. Get over it.

DAD RANT^
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-20-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
From events I have been to there are a few Pros/spokes people who are standouts in my mind... always very professional, speak very well, and carry themself in a way the reflects on the company in a very positive light.

MC/CWB - Zane and Will C. are two of the best spokes people a company can ask for
Hyperlite/CC - Murray is/has always been a really stand up guy and a great face for a company
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-20-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
I remember a couple years ago Ben Greenwood was at our local boat show. I approached him over by one of the supras definitely knew his product inside and out! I wouldn't be surprised if they made these guys go to some company class to really get to learn about the company. having not giving him his recognition to his wakeboarding expertise I then asked him if he knew if any pro wakeboarders here at the boat show.... After he roll his eyes I told him I was just kidding! "yeahhh" he Gotta good laugh from that!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-20-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarditup View Post
If you are a sponsored rider representing your brand at a boat show or other event, here are some tips:

1. Do not show up drunk, hung over, or coming down from a high. Be clean and sober.
2. Grooming is important. Do not look like you just got out of bed and smell like it. Shower, shave, haircut, clean and pressed clothes. You are a professional - look that way. The pubescent shaggy look is really bad.
3. Be well spoken. The "valley girl" impression may work with middle school students. Learn to articulate good English.
4. Know the product line and the marketing brochures. It is you job to have this information down cold. You have about a minute to establish credibility.
5. The potential buyer is why you are there. Standing around in a scrum of other pro riders and making inane comments about passing women does not make your brand stand out in a good way. Meet, greet, make a positive impression, and match people up with your brand's gear.
6. Be very respectful of kids with their parents. The kids are excited to meet you. The parents have the funds to pay you to ride. If you fail to connect with the kid and disrespect the parent, you will lose brand loyalty for probably 3-5 families. Sign autographs, pose for pictures, listen patiently to silly stories. It really matters.

End of rant.
I'll bite. Who'd you meet?
Hints at least?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
I then asked him if he knew if any pro wakeboarders here at the boat show.... After he roll his eyes I told him I was just kidding! "yeahhh" he Gotta good laugh from that!
Haha, this is excellent!
Old     (bstphen24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-20-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
Couldn't agree more about Zane being very outstanding at the shows. I have also been very impressed with Adam McCall and Brooks Wilson. The first year Axis was out Adam was at our show and spent quite a bit of time going thru the boat with me and showing me all the things, very down to earth and was a pleasure to talk to. Brooks, a pro skier for Radar, was at the show this year. I was looking for a new ski and he was very helpful with everything as well and met all the criteria as posted above. I actually had no idea who he was until I opened the Radar brochure and saw his picture later that night. There was also a few other BIG name pros at the same booth that were just sitting around on platforms and not interacting with people at all. My wife actually recognized them as well and commented on why would they even be here just to sit around. Her words were, "If I know who they are most everyone probably knows who they are".
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-20-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
no karl, don't bite erik's bait.

you name names and you'll likely have to self-rid yourself off the board like sam ingram.

i bet it was not andrew adkinson no jd webb. i met both at boat shows. they were charming and engaging. and for all their effort, i purchased and era from jd webb and a transcent (no doubt) from mr adkinson. jd webb was 20 at the time, had just done that jump over the eola fountain, and was still classy.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-20-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
We don't get any big names out our way, but to keep the positivity rolling, the only one I was able to chat with at a show this year was Adam Fields. His name is huge here in VA, and afterall, he did show up to Brostock and throw down with the rest of those kids.

He is repping Dunkelvolk, EPIC and his AFWake school. The guy is working hard and I believe he even did his OWN booth at the Richmond show featuring a push for his new wake tour (grassroots style). Adam is super chill and couldnt be a nicer guy.

That being said, I am sure there are a few out there who ruin it for everyone. I'd just move on instead of worrying about it.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
+1 for JD. I love seeing him at the cable. He's got a great attitude.
Old     (Delt725)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-20-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Met a few pros at some different events and all have been very engaging and open for conversation. I most recently met Erik Ruck and he was a great guy, had a great knowledge of the whole Ronix line, not just his Project. Ending up taking home a One Time Bomb.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-20-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
I hade the chance to meet Danny Harf last summer. He could not have been nicer. Real cool guy to talk to.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-20-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
Yeah yeah we've all met the people who do their jobs well. Lots of pros handle themselves well at boat shows. Some don't. Which one is this thread about?

It's not like it was a gently alluded to in his post. Something went down. Warning shots across the bow loud and clear.

So we doing this or what? Do you guys think he really intends for professional wakeboarders to be coming here looking for his, own, special, personal publicity? No? Me neither. He has something in mind so let's go. Sounds like something pretty specific happened. Who was it?

"Valley Girl" talker... hrrmm... (valley girl and south Floridian drawl can be exchanged I believe) I'm thinking of some names... though this would have been way easier 5-7 years ago. Not many punk-azz-punk wakeboarders running around these days. Everyone I would have thought of at first is too mature and polished now for this to apply.

Last edited by boomshot; 02-20-2012 at 2:57 PM.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-20-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
^^ publicity advice I meant ^^

Really, it would be an easier world in which to live, (on the Internet, that is) if it was this person's goal to reach the hypothetical audience of pro-riders-online-advice-seekers.

But that's very clearly not the case. I'm not stirring the pot to stir the pot. I am legitimately curious about what happened, if he's willing to share. It's a self-described rant after all. So I read that as it's got basis somewhere and I am curious what the basis is. If something happened, then discuss it or why discuss it at all. We always hear these anecdotes about how awesome many of the pros are, but we rarely hear of the soft underbelly or of pros being less than awesome. It happens, and those stories exist. I even have one. This isn't libel, because while I did not videotape it, it happened, and it happened to me. Scott Jobe, a name from the past, more or less literally made fun of me from a booth he was helping run while I was walking around at an event as a regular attendee. I was pretty proudly walking away from having just purchased a brand new very early run of a board that went on to become hugely insanely popular and built-upon. This guy basically cat called at me, something to the effect of "yay look at me with my new {board_name}!". Ok, so now that I've gotten us started... spill it.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-20-2012, 7:25 PM Reply   
I can't figure out why Nautique does not use Shaun like MC does Zane. Have you seen their product DVDs? They are trash!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-20-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
I wish they did. Shaun seems like such a fun guy and I would love to run into him at a boat show. Maybe he doesn't like the boat show environment or has more important things to do with his time, like helping riders at The Boarding School.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-20-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
They use Murray like that from time to time on the Nautique YouTube channel and on some parts of their corporate web site . He's always done really well in them from what I've seen at least. In fact, yes if Nautique has that Zane-type analog, then it's Murray for sure. I think they're both great for the sport.

Trevor does a good job too for Supra.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-20-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
Addiction is a disease, you guys. You can't blame some one for having a disease.

Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-20-2012, 10:51 PM Reply   
Wrong thread.
Old    9Drozd            02-20-2012, 11:18 PM Reply   
Cisco. I'm a little confused by your tactics, so i'm gonna act tough till I figure you out. LOL
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-20-2012, 11:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
Cisco. I'm a little confused by your tactics, so i'm gonna act tough till I figure you out, fool boy.
Old    readyaimfire            02-21-2012, 1:57 AM Reply   
To the OP Karl... U think pro wakeboarders owe u something? R u serious? U dont pay there salary. They get paid to do things ON THE WATER that make people want to ride and buy product. They don't get paid to sit and explain the concept of rocker lines to some weekend warrior who does heel side back scratchers all day behind his IO. Its not there job to show up in a suit with a briefcase full of product brochures. They sell the lifestyle. If u don't like a particular riders style that's your business. Don't watch them. To criticise someone's haircut/facial hair is just shallow. Not everyone looks like Ken and Barbie. Get over yourself.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-21-2012, 4:59 AM Reply   
Tommy, I don't agree with you there. To an extent I actually do think that part of what they are paid for is to represent themselves in a professional way - a struggle for many young athletes regardless of the sport. They need to know their sport and the brands that have chosen to support them and to represent the sport well in general. On and off the water. Also I don't think the OP/thread starter is guilty of anything but stone cold puddy-footin' for not just 'going for it' here. I think he's a shop owner and an industry person so I get it. But I generally agree with him. Part of what we exhalt professional athletes for is their relatability despite extreme talent. From what I've heard this theme is part of the reason why Rathy and Nautique didn't get along in the end. Rathy, despite being one of the best riders in the history of the sport, has some perception issues when it comes to sponsors. I know there are other stories like this out there. I'm still really curious as to who this is about. Dangerous to even guess but I am guessing it happened at the Grand Rapids Michigan boat show. Anyone know who went out there for a sponsor, to work at a booth? Trying to narrow down the guesses.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-21-2012, 6:01 AM Reply   
Tommy, i'd have to disagree too. You honestly think that sponsors sign riders SOLELY on their riding, and nothing else? IMO that would be a very poor business decision if the only thing I got out of my sponsored riders was a sticker on their board. When you are sponsored you are a spokesperson for the company that sponsored you, period.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-21-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
To the OP Karl... U think pro wakeboarders owe u something? R u serious? U dont pay there salary. They get paid to do things ON THE WATER that make people want to ride and buy product.
+1 for thinking you're way off center here.

Look at athletes of any sport.... generally there are two big categories, and a third more rare combo of both
1. Top tier in Skill
2. Top tier in being a selling tool
3. Both

... some guys can compete at their given sport and being in the #1 greatest at the current time or all time talk, but aren't going to win over moms and dads... thus not quite selling like a company would like.
... some guys can compete but are by no means best in the sport, but carry and conduct themself in a way where they are a great face for the sport or a brand and become the posterchild.

Look at the NFL, so many amazingly skilled players who can barely speak English (native English speaking people)... seriously some of these players in post-game interviews are a joke. Sure the higlight reel is there but since he can't talk his way out of a wet paper bag he is only as good as his numbers. There are other players though (Tebow) who going off numbers are near the bottom of their postion in the NFL but sell more jerseys, get more air time, and are beloved (or hated - no such thing as bad press though) because of the kind of person they are.

Quote:
Its not there job to show up in a suit with a briefcase full of product brochures. They sell the lifestyle. If u don't like a particular riders style that's your business. Don't watch them.
Seriously?! If it wasn't there job why would they be there?!... You think they want to be hold up in some convention center for 10+ hours a day talking to strangers about the same thing over and over and over again? .... no way. They are there because their sponsor (their EMPLOYER) said they have to, or gave them some reason to be there (financial most likely).... they would much rather be out on the water than in a stuffy room.

Quote:
To criticise someone's haircut/facial hair is just shallow. Not everyone looks like Ken and Barbie. Get over yourself.
I agree it is shallow and unfair, but thats the way of the world... if you don't see that you're going to be in for a bumpy ride. I had the typical "wakeboard" look for years and years, but once it came time to find a real job things changed.... I shaved, cut my hair, stopped thinking being in the lake was a "shower", the whole 0-yards.... and guess what, I got sooooo much more respect everywhere I went, not just in interviews. I feel I'm good at not judging a book by its cover, but 99% of the rest of the world isn't.... when that is the case you just play by the rules.

... bottom line is these atheletes are a HUGE influence on kids these days and lets face it, lots of kids in the wakeboard scene aren't paying for their own stuff.... mommy and daddy are helping. So as a brand owner/manager do I want the guy that appeals to a 10 year old with a $10/week allowance or the guy who appeals as a "good role model" to the kids dad who makes 100k a year.... should be pretty easy to answer.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
The king of that (see Nick's post) is Dale Earnhardt Junior. Guys has not done much in last 5-6 years, but sells the most gear by far. Always has the longest lines at the signature booth. They gave him a whole new team last year and the end result was about the same. Than you got better drivers that get no love.

Same goes in most sports. MMA has guys like Forrest Griffin that get made love, but has been a mediocre fighter in the world of UFC for a long time.

Wakeboarders seems to be much more about their image, than the reality when it comes to fan base.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-21-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
I call BS to the original poster Karl. I was at the gr boat show and the 3 riders that were there were all awesome. All 3 asked me if I needed any help when I was at their booth. John naldowski(sp) is the nicest guy you will ever meet and will talk your ear off, the other 2 were Clayton Underwood and Adam Errington, but both were clean cut and very very polite, professional....
This guys profile says he is a boardshop owner, but the site he has listed doesn't even work! Plus his profile says he rides a Double Up, Blindside, and Hydroslide boards with Blindside bindings. Nothing wrong with that gear but what kind of shop owner rides gear that has been out of business for years!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-21-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
you call bs? you had a good experience so that means anyone that says anything negative has to be bull****ting? c'mon dude...
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-21-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
I thought Phil Soven was a huge douche until I met him at the G-Rap boat show two years ago. He was a total bro. Stoked I met him. Parks was a baller too. He was for sure drinking but he definitely put up with me asking him to sign 50 posters and conducted himself "professionally".
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-21-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
"you call bs? you had a good experience so that means anyone that says anything negative has to be bull****ting? c'mon dude..."

C'mon dude did you read anything he said? He said he was at the boat show, and said the pros that were there were very respectful. The guy that started this thread has not chimed in or anything, but someone that was at same boat show (supposedly) said opposite things.
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-21-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
"you call bs? you had a good experience so that means anyone that says anything negative has to be bull****ting? c'mon dude..."

C'mon dude did you read anything he said? He said he was at the boat show, and said the pros that were there were very respectful. The guy that started this thread has not chimed in or anything, but someone that was at same boat show (supposedly) said opposite things.
Old    readyaimfire            02-21-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
"I agree it is shallow and unfair, but thats the way of the world... if you don't see that you're going to be in for a bumpy ride. "

I'm really not in for a bumpy ride at all. My life is fantastic. I'm going to stand by my original statement, like it or not that's up to u guys. I don't think pros owe us (consumer) anything other than to push the limits on a wakeboard. They are not salesman. Now if the OP is a company owner or shop owner and feels a certain rider isn't living up to his/her Contract, well then that's a different story. But if that's the case, is this the best format to resolve it?
Old    readyaimfire            02-21-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Nick, one more thing, I never said it wasn't there job to be there. But I got the impression the OP expected them to be there in a tuxedo holding a bible spit shining product while working the cash register. Taking pictures with kids and talking about some product is obviously why they are there.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-21-2012, 4:47 PM Reply   
My post is not about a recent experience at the Grand Rapids Boat Show. I travel a lot and have attended many boat shows over the years, and recently in other cities. I posted after the GR boat show because I was impressed with the stark contrast from one show to another. I will not mention, ever, the companies or persons I have observed. My motivation is to enhance the image of the sport and to give fodder for discussion among the riders, shop owners, and sponsors. This is an essential discussion for anyone involved in the industry.

There is a right way and a wrong way to represent. Image, whether good or bad, is a means of communication. Most communication is non-verbal. The way you dress, groom, carry yourself, and generally speak will lead people to make an near-instant judgement of your intelligence, integrity, and likability. Do this well, and you will get along with people. Do it poorly, and you will be ignored. In the retail sports business, if you are ignored, you will go out of business really soon.

I will give a couple of examples of people who are very accomplished athletes and represent their sport extremely well - waterskiers Jodi Fisher and Marcus Brown. I could also choose some wakeboarders, but I'd rather stir the pot with an alternative related sport. Neither were at the GR boat show.
Old     (ProvoMB52)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-21-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
I see nothing wrong with Karl's expectation, and the info shared in his OP. If anyone decides they want to read between the lines, it should be thought to be at their own peril.

Now Tommy on the other hand. Not wanting to bury you in your own writ, I will simply advise you that if you want anyone to take you seriously, it would behoove you to either re-read your posts before you hit enter, or better yet, take the time to put your thoughts into a cogent format, including the use of a dictionary to verify the spelling of the input you are using.

I know everyone is well meaning in their own input, but Karl is simply wanting to raise the bar on the overall affect of the industry, and the faces that represent that industry, to a greater cross-section of the masses.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-21-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
Karl, your desires for a simplistic right-or-wrong world are effed.

What was Whitney Houston? A talent with no scruples, a beacon light of enormous scruples, or a complex admixture?

What is the net worth of her estate, $170 million? Wasn't she beinig recruited for big projects until the end despite her infirmities?
Old    readyaimfire            02-21-2012, 6:16 PM Reply   
Good lord this place if full of stiffs... Grammar police? Really?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-21-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
Haha STFU about Whitney Houston. Seriously?
Old    9Drozd            02-21-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
Well I wasen't going to chim it, but... It has been my experience having attended boat shows, Pro tours stops and other industry events in multiple states for over 18 years I can honestly say I have never seen a Pro act in a non professional manner. It is part of their job and is clearly written in their contracts on how they are to conduct themself at such events. I don't doubt Karl's word that he had a bad experience as he stated, but IMO it is not the norm. I bought my first twin tip from Jeff Heer (his signatur board) at a show in Portland way back in the day, he spent an hour answering all my questions and was the complete pro. I think the pro riders do a fantastic job in representing the industry and the companys the ride for. My 2 cents.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-21-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
My post is not about a recent experience at the Grand Rapids Boat Show. I travel a lot and have attended many boat shows over the years, and recently in other cities. I posted after the GR boat show because I was impressed with the stark contrast from one show to another. I will not mention, ever, the companies or persons I have observed. My motivation is to enhance the image of the sport and to give fodder for discussion among the riders, shop owners, and sponsors. This is an essential discussion for anyone involved in the industry.
Well, even when trying to take direct assumptions about truth/bullsh*t out of it as much as possible, I'm still not convinced. Do you realize that your post really & truly does not read like you apparently intended? Particularly what I've put in bold below; it doesn't sound like random observations and free advice. And again, you said it was a rant so I am sorry but I still think something happened and you're just not willing to share about who it was meant for.

Quote:

Sorry but that all sounds pretty specific. I mean you even indicate an age group! Maybe I am misreading your response (and thanks for responding) but it still sounds damning to me. And again, I have nothing wrong with that. The advice is sound. The reason for it is still mysterious.
Old    alanp            02-21-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
some of the opinions in this discussion border on naive at best but more like full blown retard. who in their right mind thinks a sponsored rider is such solely based on THEIR wakeboarding abilities? did tiger wood's sponsors bail on him when he wasnt winning every golf tournament, no they bailed on him when it was discovered he was cheating on his wife. if there was a deeper pool of riders sponsors wouldnt have to put up with half the **** they do from these kids, they'd just drop the rider and pick up someone else.
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-22-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
If you're not willing to tell anyone what actually happened why would you post it in the first place? You're like a high school girl who says she's got a huge secret but won't tell anyone
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-22-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Wow, lot of haters out there for a guy who is looking to take the high road.

Do I care who it was, not really. What I care about is growing the sport as a whole, and as said above, the kind of conduct outlined above is not what accomplishes that at shows.

Good for you Karl, no need to throw someone under the bus for some bad decisions they made before/during an appearance. I'm sure their sponsors slapped them upside the head enough, no need to drag them through the mud on here too.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
Just to back Karl up, if I recall (correct me if I am wrong Karl) he did run a boardshop quite some time ago when I used to compete in the local contests back in Indiana. (Before someone calls me out on the fact that he is from Michigan....Indiana/ohio/michigan/kentucky all held contests together for a few years. I also believe Karl was one of the primaries behind a private wakeboarding community up in Michigan. So no, there is no BS here....maybe he has not updated his profile in a while, so shoot him!

Second, IMO I agree with most of Karl's rant. Up until recently I was very involved in the Midwest wakeboarding community and worked shows,contests events etc. for my local sponsors. (dont get me wrong I am NOT pro)... However, there is a reason that I was continually asked back for my help throughout those 10 odd years. Sure I went out and partied and was hung over at events, but I did my best to have a positive professional appearance and not let it be known what I did the night before. I realize it is an extreme sport.... but the fact of the matter remains that it is a high income sport and those who want to be successful will present themselves professionally regardless of their extracurricular activities.

Everyone mentions Zane and how great he has represented Mastercraft. Most likely this is why we see so many riders on top and then we gradually do not hear much about them anymore....companies keep around those who look good. The companies that dont, wont survive. Who sells more 100k boats, an athlete that presents himself like S*** or the one who is on top of his game and is a personable person to all walks of life?

Just My Personal Opinions of Course.....
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
With that being said, I have rarely encountered this issue at shows....but have seen if a few times.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-22-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
I still cant get over the fact that this karl guy is from The state north of Ohio! I'll just check myself out of this thread now lol
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-22-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
I still cant get over the fact that this karl guy is from The state north of Ohio! I'll just check myself out of this thread now lol
hey, no digs on Michigan!