Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-16-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Alright everyone I just accepted a position in Denver and start on January 13th...yaaa!!!!

All fun aside, I need to find a decent place for my girlfriend and I to live that is affordable. For those of you who live in the Denver area, where can I find some decent affordable rent, in a good area? Maybe a 1 car garage as well? Or does anyone know anyone with some decent rental properties?? I am looking to stay in the 1000-1200/month range. I have a few friends who live in the Capitol Hill area, but it seems pretty expensive?

Thanks,

Matt
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-16-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Where are you working?

I just moved here on January 14th this past year. I am the sales manager at S&W, the MasterCraft dealer.

We rented for 6 months while we decided where to live and ended up buying a place in west Arvada, just south of Standley lake.

Definitely the best decision ever. I do miss the east cost water though, its a little different out here.
Old     (samsaslow)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-16-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
Capitol hill is actually best pricing in Denver. Most bang for your buck and close to downtown. Tons of cool spots for food and going out. Also check out the Lower Highlands, just north of Denver. More pricey but the most up and coming spot in Denver. Super fun area. Are you looking for house or apartment? Houses with Garage you may have to push a little further from downtown for decent pricing i.e. Park Hill area east of Downtown. Really depends how important it is to be close to downtown.
When looking in Cap hill I would make reserved parking a must, even if you have to pay extra. Otherwise street parking can suck.

Hope this helps.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
I was just in the denver area a month ago. It seemed pretty nice.

We went to a party at a house that happened to be for sale. It was a swanky place. Being from the SF Bay Area we figured it would price out at $2.5M but it's actually sitting for $950K. A great value from our POV.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...13390000_zpid/
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-16-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
I have lived in the surrounding denver area for 43 years. What part of town will you be working in ? Personally, I would not live in the Park Hill area if the rent was free. One of my best friends lives there. In the "up and comming " area of Park hill. 1.5 years and he has had 2 break ins, and was shot at about 6 months ago.. Police said " They probably had the wrong address" .. And left it like that.!! Said he probably does not want to take it any further. Was loading gear into his car at 4;30 am as he is a firefighter. Black suv rolls by and unloads at him. Lets just say he is moving as soon as he can. I also used to work in that area. NO way would I live there.. Anyway, I can give you some great advice but will be out of town for the weekend. Feel free to email me or PM me and I will help as much as I can.. A lot of living in the denver area is what you want to get out of it. If excitement, going out a lot, being close to downtown is important then cool. But it comes with a price. Not only dollar price, but also your feeling safe..
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-19-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Well I have a few toys I am bringing out with me (sled and sea doo) and once I have the cash would like to get an older wake board for starters... so storage was of concern as well. At this point, I have reserved a unit at Whisper Sky Apartments. For the price, the amenities seem decent and the unit comes with a good size garage as well. Like someone posted above, this is most likely only for a year until my credit history is strong enough to buy a place. I am working at RK Mechanical, its a mechanical plumbing and process piping subcontractor and fabricator as a Project Engineer. I have friends that live in the Capitol Hill area and it seems really nice. My only issue is the lack of space for the money, and I drive a largish truck. For the past few years of college I have had to jam my truck into tight little urban settings and alleys and I am about done with that! I am hoping this place works out for a year until I can get a house.

Alan - we should get together and ride. I actually worked at my local MC dealer in Indianapolis for about 10 years on and off through school and summers - loved it! I have been lucky enough that my father provided me with a nice boat to ride behind (x30) and let me build a kickass ballast system in it.... I am sad to leave it behind haha Although I will probably pick up a used 230 and do something similar for a first boat.

Thanks for the replies!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-21-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
Looks like you will be pretty close to Cherry Creek reservoir. That place is a nightmare on weekends but not too bad during the week. check out http://www.meetup.com/wakeboarding-37/ Plenty of folks on there ride at Cherry Creek. It is a long ways off but also check out http://www.milehighmeetandgreet.com/
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-21-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
since you've decided where you are going to live - I'll hijack your thread for a second..

does anyone ride the Dillon Resevoir? Was up to Frisco/Breck last fall and thought it looked like a fun lake but I suppose the elevation would be murderous if you were hauling anything serious for ballast..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-21-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
never mind.. just googled it - saw WB'ing isn't allowed