Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
Has anyone been behind this boat yet? How does the wake stack up against the xStars? Looks like a good option for me. I am back and forth between the 230, xstar and now this boat!? Does it have more room inside than the xstar? I need to buy a saltwater series boat for my area. Right now the Long Beach marina stadium has a 21ft limit but they are trying to push it to 23.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-27-2010, 11:39 PM Reply   
I talked to the MC dealer today and finally got an answer on the length of the X-25...

It's only 21'7" long! That's an inch shorter than the X-15.

Tommy: the X-25 is definitely larger inside than the X-Star. The X-Star is surprisingly small inside for a 22' baot.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-28-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
I would think in open water you would want as long as you can get. Gotta think think the x25 would handle the open water better because its the same HULL as the csx220 which is a salt water center consul boat made for that. To me your best bet would be between the X25 or the 230 coastal edition. I have not been in either just throwing it out there.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-28-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
MC Northwest/Seattle didn't get their x-25 in time for our demo this past Sunday. We did still make it on the water -- just not behind the X-25, so I'm not able to help with a wake review, unfortunately...

Darren did receive the boat earlier this week and will have it at the Seattle Boat Show.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Got the new X25 and it's at the Seattle Boat Show. The boat is simply a great combination between the Xstar and X15, with some really great new features. I have a feeling it will be MC's best seller.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-28-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
I agree... X25 will be a big seller. The MC dealer here speculated that it would essentially replace the current X-star, and that the new X-star might end up being a $100k + boat (i.e. completely different league).
Old     (majestic)      Join Date: May 2008       01-28-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
I am excited to see it in Seattle this weekend but I am not sure I like the flip up seats in the back.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-28-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
Simple..don't flip them up. haha
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-28-2010, 10:49 PM Reply   
Just got back from the Seattle Boat show and this is a sweet boat and I like it a lot. But I just don't get it; they are asking $116,500.00 minus a $4500.00 boat show discount. There is no way this will be a best seller at $112K. Please tell me there are some other discounts available. What is everyone else seeing at their respective boat shows?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-28-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
Haha, that sounds like someone trying to milk MSRP, I don't think my local dealers boat show pricing will be that high.... probably more like low 80kish well optioned out
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-29-2010, 12:20 AM Reply   
I still think $80K sounds like a lot of money. My X-star was only $65K out the door and was pretty much loaded. I just don't know how Mastercraft could justify this price.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-29-2010, 1:17 AM Reply   
The X-25 at the Portland Boat show was $75K... posted right on the window!

And that was a very nicely equipped boat: MCX, bimini, cover, dual batteries, heater, tower speakers, amps, sub, etc.

And guess what... it still didn't sell. It's back in the showroom at Portland Ski Boat Center.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Yes, the Seattle boat show price was...well, shocking. With that said, that boat is really, really nice. Mastercraft really thought through that boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
If that is the price that is pretty crazy. Maybe Darren needs to have regular average Joe pricing and Lake Washington Waterfront Millionaire/Billionaire pricing? The boat show pricing must of been the later.

My guess is that isn't actual price one could go in and buy it for. I didn't pay attention at the boat show but what options did that boat have?

(Message edited by polarbill on January 29, 2010)

(Message edited by polarbill on January 29, 2010)
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Either that or it's like buy the new Escalade the day it comes out. They demand MSRP becuase it's the latest and greatest.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
Yeah that 116k was the price I was blown away, in fact all the MC's were over 100k except for the X2. I was literally embarrassed for them.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-29-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
nah... that's list pricing.... talk to sales guy for real pricing....
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-29-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Hate... I would be embarrassed for them as well. I recently read that Bakes and Malibu had #1 market share in Washington. If that's how your local MC dealer behaves at the boat show of all places, I'm not surprised they are losing to Bu.

Honestly, it's as if the MC dealer in Seattle is giving everybody the middle finger.

MC prices at the PDX show...

X-25: $75K
X-45: $79K
X-star: $79K

No boats over $80k, much less $100k.

All loaded with tower speakers, heaters, biminis, video cameras, etc.

That just goes to show you how much of a joke MSRP on a boat is. It's not like the guys in Portland are losing money at those prices.

Greg... when you say "talk to the sales guy for real pricing..."

my response is, "I don't even want to start a conversation where i need to negotiate $40k off a boat before it's even competitive. I'd rather just go talk to a dealer that has a clue."
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Speaking of Malibu, their pricing was ridiculously low. They had a 2010 VLX there advertised for about 63k. I didn't even look to see what their other boats were listed for but if all their boats are listed like that they are going to make a lot of noise.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
The Bu's looked good the tower is much better in person as is the Nautique tower. I'm sorry to any Axis owners but I really didn't like anything about the boat and thought the Vandall edition was way to much @ $54k. The boat the surprised me the most that I really liked the look of was the Tige Z1 it was very nice. Tige has always been nice but they really stepped it up quite a bit in the past couple years.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-29-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Hate/Brett...

AWS is at the show, right? What do they sell in Seattle? Any boats or just pro shop gear?

Who is the MB dealer up there? How did their boats look at the show?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
DBC, AWS was up there but they usually only have gear. Since there is no Axis dealer in Seattle they had the Axis displayed and I will agree that 54k for it was too much in my opinion especially when you can get a loaded VLX for less than 10k more.

Seattle Watersports is the MB dealer in the Seattle area. I could be wrong but I believe AWS is actually a distributor for MB's in the NW or something like that so they might actually be a middle man to SWS. I could be completely wrong about that though.

I didn't even get a chance to look at SWS booth. They are a MB and Chapparal dealer.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
$112K? Even if that's MSRP and you take off say 20%, that's still $90K before tax/title, etc.

Errrrr...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
I too didn't make it to the MB display which I was mad about when I realized it. I wanted to see the Tomcats in person but I was trying to make my way to a beer vendor so as you can see I had more pressing matters.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-29-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
^^ Awesome! Did they have catering? The free catering at the Portland sneak peak was pretty good!
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-29-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Guys,
please talk to me if you want real pricing on the X25 or any of the boats. We simply print out the MSRP sheet from Mastercraft to show options.
This X25 has about every option you can get plus the 400HP motor and upgraded trailer making the price exceed $100K.
Good to see everyone last night.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Well there was some cheese and cracker spreads here and there that weren't bad but the friggin beers were $7 each.

Darren, when I said I was embarrassed it was for MC and their price points not yours. Although I would price one boat aggressively and show the consumers the types of discounts you are willing to do.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
One thing we noticed on the X25 is it had a huge amount of storage under the seat on the port side of the main cockpit. It's really, really deep. It was so big you could easily fit a 750 pound sack, maybe more. Combined with stock ballast and a sack in the rear locker this boat should put out a ridiculous surf wake. I need to try it out.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-30-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. Just makes my decision more difficult! What is the stock ballast on the x-25? I'm itching to order something but I guess I will wait for the LA boat show in 2 weeks.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
I would take one if they offer a Cash Reward program with it.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-30-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
Darren,

I can see your point about MSRP getting up there. Like Hate, I'm embarrassed for MC letting MSRP get so high on any wakeboat.

For you guys, the dealer, I just think it's a bad move to show only list price at the boat show. Every boat show I've ever been too has "boat show pricing" clearly displayed.

I understand you are willing to discount. But why make the customer come beg you for it? I wonder how many people wander onto your floor, see the $116K price, and quickly turn around and leave w/out even giving you a chance to talk to them, much less show them a realistic price. Some of those folks might have been willing to spend $70k - $80k on an X-25 (albeit a different one with a few less options) but were turned off or intimidated by the $116k list price.

I just don't think showing list price at the boat show is putting your best foot forward, especially given these tough economic times. But, hey... it's your business, not mine. So do what you like. Maybe the joke's on me and you've logged dozens of orders already with your "msrp strategy."
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-31-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
I understand you are willing to discount. But why make the customer come beg you for it? I wonder how many people wander onto your floor, see the $116K price, and quickly turn around and leave w/out even giving you a chance to talk to them, much less show them a realistic price. Some of those folks might have been willing to spend $70k - $80k on an X-25 (albeit a different one with a few less options) but were turned off or intimidated by the $116k list price.

That's me. If it's priced that far out of my budget, I won't even give it a chance. Remember teh statement: "If you have to ask"?
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-31-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I have actually put pricing on all the boats stating, "Starting at ..." So hopefully that won't scare people off.
This Seattle Show has been a ton better than last year, it actually feels like a boat show again. Yesterday the booth was packed!!
It's not 2007 but it's getting better.

BTW we must drive the X25 after the show! Unless I sell it...
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-31-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Darren, I'm still in... and looking forward to it. See you in a couple of hours.
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-31-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Darren,
I am with DBC. I realize pricing at the top of the market is a MC strategy but really? On Thursday night I spoke with no less than a dozen people (all owning several different brands of boats including a couple of MC's) and we were all blown away by the pricing even after factoring in the boat show rebates. I love the X-25 and it was my favorite new boat at the show. IMO I would make more of an effort to show a competitive or realistic price especially at the show. Isn't this supposed to be your best pricing of the year? Best of luck and I hope you sell a ton of them, so I can find a used one with low hours in a year or two.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-31-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
I like it. I do. It is nice. It's as if MasterCraft and Correct Craft were awarded like a government contract to build a boat with a specific set of features. It appears to do what the 230/236 ended up becoming. Similar in a lot of ways to the 230, but this is smaller. I like the boat.

I just don't understand MasterCraft's crazy cannibalization of their own models. There's what, 7-8 models in the 20-24 ft range at this point? They've really reached a point of saturation. I look at that boat and say hey that's nice but I'd really rather have an X-35. Then I look at an X-35 and say hey I'd really rather have an X-45 and finally say screw it: give me a 300 with a ProStar 190 as a tender and I'm happy.

The pricing is laughable and also sad. I agree with what was said above. As far as perception I guess I understand it... if Tige is getting 60-70k for a new boat, MC & CC will inflate the prices to areas we never thought possible. 60k for that new Ski Nautique 200. 60k. For a Ski Nautique. During a recession.

From http://lsvp.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/high-prices-can-increase-perception-of-value/

"According to researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the California Institute of Technology, if a person is told he or she is tasting two different wines—and that one costs $5 and the other $45 when they are, in fact, the same wine—the part of the brain that experiences pleasure will become more active when the drinker thinks he or she is enjoying the more expensive vintage…

The study

The researchers recruited 11 male Caltech graduate students who said they liked and occasionally drank red wine. The subjects were told that they would be trying five different Cabernet Sauvignons, identified by price, to study the effect of sampling time on flavor. In fact, only three wines were used—two were given twice. The first wine was identified by its real bottle price of $5 and by a fake $45 price tag. The second wine was marked with its actual $90 price and by a fictitious $10 tag. The third wine, which was used to distract the participants, was marked with its correct $35 price. A tasteless water was also given in between wine samples to rinse the subjects’ mouths. The wines were given in random order, and the students were asked to focus on flavor and how much they enjoyed each sample.

Results

The participants said they could taste five different wines, even though there were only three, and added that the wines identified as more expensive tasted better. The researchers found that an increase in the perceived price of a wine did lead to increased activity in the mOFC because of an associated increase in taste expectation".

There are cheap wine boats, and good wine boats. Everyone is pricing themselves out of the market right now, but MasterCraft is doing the best job of going into the stratosphere, making the sport seem utterly inaccessible, which is exactly why I like the prospect of 10-15k 205's and Sport Nautiques out there.

(Message edited by boomshot on January 31, 2010)
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
I'm going to check out the X-25 on Friday. I guess the MC dealer down here just got one in. I will tell you one thing though if he tries to drop a 100k price tag on me I will walk straight over and buy a decked out 230 coastal for 80k!
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-03-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Sorry guys. No demo day on the X25. We just sold it!
We should be getting another in a month.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-03-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
So what was the ultimate price for that delightful treat Darren?
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-03-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
^^^MSRP^^^
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-03-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
nice work Darren, where is the boat heading?
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-04-2010, 1:41 AM Reply   
Seems like the next X-Star, with bigger interior, and better hull/wake from CSX 220. But the interior is too over the top bling, not my cup of tea...

I did want a X-Star or X-2, but including the X-25 they are all too much $$$ for me. So I got a Nautique 210TE for 25k less than a similiar spec X-2 instead.

Don't get my wrong I love the X-Star or X-2, and may be the X-25 when I see it in person. However, only if I have money to burn then may be I will get a MC
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-04-2010, 5:31 AM Reply   
How much is a 210TE? 40K? I was just sitting in a 211 (I think that was the model) at a boat show, and he quoted me "40-50" off the top of his head. Then when I asked what it really was, it became "52 base for this model" Then I asked one more time and finally pulled from him that as it sat, that boat was 58K.

(Message edited by witness140 on February 04, 2010)