Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Hey guys....

I'm getting down there on my tires. What are you guys riding and how many miles are you getting out of them. I've got Conti Grandsports right now. I've always liked Conti's, but only got around a thousand miles out of them (including rotation front to back). Any recomendations?

Also, I've gotta get a new seat. I've got a Selle San Marco Blaze on the bike right now (came with the bike). It's a bit wide for my preference. I'm getting some wear on the seat (not to mention my seat. Ha, ha) right at the back where it flares. You can definitely see the pressure points. Any favorites out there. I used to like my Flite seats. I was looking at the Fizik seats. They look like the contour might fit.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-22-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Everyone in this area rides Bontrager RaceLite Hardcases because there are an inordinate amount of sharp (man and mother nature made) objects on the lake roads around here. After reading the following review, I put them on my new (albeit from 1987) road bike and have had no problems:

"Started riding Race Lite Hardcases just over 4 years ago on my road bike, commuting on suburban Seattle streets and doing weekend tours. I've logged 10,000+ miles (I'm on my 4th set) and I have not once repaired a flat on the road in that time. Had 3 flats in all from bad stuff, but the tire kept them at the slow leak stage so I made the fix in a warm garage--one even ripped about 2 inches of tread off and I rolled 5 more miles home! I bought a C02 cartridge/pump a couple of years ago and have never used it (not sure I know how to). The ride is comfortable even for a big rider (I'm 200lbs plus a little), especially when new, and I think they are perfectly OK in wet weather (I ride all year in Seattle) if you are a little prudent. I know there are faster tires, but for getting there comfortably, consistently and without flats, these are great tires and I plan to keep buying them.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Andy.... man, that is one sweet bike. What a find.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Personally I dig on the Fizik saddles

I've put thousands of miles on the older version of these: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y0097 The Conti GatorSkins. I also have GP4000s and GP 4 Seasons. I've found the GP 4 Seasons to be a little less puncture resistant than the Gatorskins but they have a slightly plusher ride and better stick in sub freezing temps. The GP4000S hold up well and ride the best, but they are not as tough as the GP4 Seasons or the GatorSkins.

Get a set of 25mm wide ones, not 23mm wide. You will be surprised how much better the slightly wider tire feels.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-23-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
Thanks Evan (and sorry about the thread hijack/tangent)...I got really lucky with the Ti bike. A couple months ago I acquired an '83 Fuji touring in mint condition and had been obsessing over it when one of our secretaries mentioned that her husband had an old Fuji hanging in the garage where it had been for decades. She brought it in, I made a lowball offer, he countered and now I'm rockin' the dual vintage/multi purpose Fuji fleet. As far as saddles, I put a Brooks B-17 on the other bike and no numbness once properly broken in (plus it looks great)
Attached Images

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Regarding Ti bikes, I converted my old Litespeed Ti Tri bike into a fixie, so dig on the way Ti rides.
Attached Images

Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-23-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
(whistling)...that Litespeed looks like it does exactly that...what kind o fork is that? That bike looks ready to pounce.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
That fork is an old original QR (Quintana Roo) aero fork (650c size). I picked it up at Ironman Arizona 2007 for $50. I have a the KMS (I think it's KMS) road fork for that bike too. I like the Aero one better though, bike tracks straighter.

Crank is an old Ultegra Double that my wife used, I dropped the inner ring, removed all of the Triathlon stuff up front (stem, base bar, areo bars) and the rest of the drive train to clean it up. I raced it with a larger front ring and aero bars in a local sprint Tri last season and averaged 23.99mph on the bike course (kinda hilly course too). I'll be heading out in a little bit for a 1:30hr or so ride on it shortly too!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Cool bikes, boys.

I just saw a vintage early 90's Mercx on Craigslist with the first gen Dura-ace. The guy wanted $1200. A bit pricey, but those early lugged steel frames are really cool.

Sean, I've been debating over getting a single/fixed or a new mountain bike. I think the mountain bike is winning out, but a fixed gear would be really fun for my commute.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-23-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
depending on what terrain you're riding, what about a single speed mountain bike?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Too many hills around here. I'm not even sure I could do the home/work commute on a single speed road bike. That's been my big hold-up. I've got a 2 mile climb back to my house. In the morning the descent would slow me down a bunch without gears, too.