Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-11-2018, 12:19 AM Reply   
Fairly new rider. Can go W2W HS but that didn’t take me long so figure I’ll progress fairly quickly as I’m one those aggressive types when it comes to stuff like this.

I’m looking at the Timebomb to replace my 2010 Ronix One. I find the 2010 One to be really locked in and I want a looser board. Yes I know I can mess with fins but I’m thinking I need larger board anyway so might as well upgrade to something newer. I can get a good deal on a 2014 Timebomb in my correct size which I understand has some of the snap of the newer Timebombs but still had a forgiving surf style edge (I believe they changed the design in 2015). I am also not opposed to grabbing a 2018 or 2019 TB as well but looking at the rocker / edge, it seems less forgiving if you don’t land just right. Can anyone comment? Are the newer timebombs as forgiving as the older ones? I don’t mind spending a bit of money for a board I can grow into but I also don’t want to buy something that will make me eat **** every time I’m out and not enjoy the sport. Welcome any and all opinions.

Thx!
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-11-2018, 1:26 AM Reply   
Go 2015 or newer. The design is so much better than prior all around. Faster, looser, softer landing, etc.

IMHO, if you are comfortable with the 3 stage “kick” on your current model you will be fine on the newer as well.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2018, 6:39 AM Reply   
The newer time bombs (18-19) are awesome. They have that locked in but loose feeling like you are talking about. It's loose in the middle, so reverting and butter sliding is very easy, but when you start cutting in toward the wake it locks in and its super fast on edge. Lack of features in the middle and sharp in the tip and tail is basically the gist of it. Hope that helps.

Also, it is my opinion that boards done make much of a difference in how hard you slam. Every board can catch and edge, and if you happen to catch one with your chin up tall and not expecting it then your gonna get whooped either way lol.
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-11-2018, 10:07 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! So surf style Center edging (like on the HL Murray) are mostly a thing of the past?
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2018, 10:08 AM Reply   
When you say surf style do you just mean loose?
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-11-2018, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
When you say surf style do you just mean loose?

Yes but also the older models and the current Murray have a rolled up lower edge (see pic) to help prevent catching an edge when the bird is sideways. They call it a “variable edge”. I’m just not sure how important of a feature that is or not when it comes to imperfect landings and surface spins. My current One board has that feature and I don’t know if it’s helping or hindering.

Old     (ScottyP)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-14-2018, 5:18 AM Reply   
For what it's worth, I rode the old style Ronix One boards for like 7 or 8 years. Loved the boards, especially soft edge in the middle and how it made landings so forgiving. When the new Ones came out and changed radically, I was skeptical and switched to the Murray for the last few seasons. Loved it too. A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and got a 2018 One ATR..............and absolutely love it. The edge isn't 'radical' like it looks. The board is amazing. Maybe the only downside is it might be a little fast on edge taking off and landing, but it's manageable. It's kind of a plus at the same time too. I say pick up a newer One and never look back!

About ATR vs Timebomb. I felt the weight difference on the 2018 and it seemed kind of negligible, so i went with the slightly stronger/cheaper ATR construction.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-14-2018, 7:28 AM Reply   
How does the newer Murray shape compare to the newer One? I’ve been riding a ‘15 Timebomb One for the past three seasons. Keep thinking about trying out the Murray.
Old     (ScottyP)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-14-2018, 10:04 AM Reply   
The Murray is a bit slower overall - when flat and on edge. It pops good, but not quite as much.

The main thing about the Murray is that overall it is EXTREMELY predictable - edging, pop, landings, everything. Anyone would like the Murray, but I would highly suggest it to any intermediate riders really learning how to spin. And beginners for that matter just because it does everything well and is tame.

All that said, it might be too mellow for anyone that already loves the newer Ones.
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-14-2018, 10:47 AM Reply   
This is awesome info Scotty! Finally someone who has ridden both has replied!

I am really leaning towards the 2019 Timebomb now over the Murray even though I’m a beginner. Is it fairly loose? Does it spin well for surface tricks?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-14-2018, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejean View Post
This is awesome info Scotty! Finally someone who has ridden both has replied!

I am really leaning towards the 2019 Timebomb now over the Murray even though I’m a beginner. Is it fairly loose? Does it spin well for surface tricks?
Go District, Parks or RXT. Those are super friendly platforms. Even if you go with the One shape the extra $100 will be wasted for the TB unless you really prefer the graphics.

I have nothing against the one shape, but all beginners will ride continuous (faster) boards better. To ride a One (or any 3 stage) you have to be able to drive through the wake on every trick. If you come off edge on your approach your speed will drop off fast because 3 stage boards have more drag.

3 stage boards work best for advanced riders who really want to be able to romp down on their edge at the base of the wake and convert that energy straight up. In the right hand, they are magical, but 3 stage boards aren't for everyone.

I've ridden the Murray and the Timebomb, they are both great boards, but very different.
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-14-2018, 3:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Go District, Parks or RXT. Those are super friendly platforms. Even if you go with the One shape the extra $100 will be wasted for the TB unless you really prefer the graphics.

I have nothing against the one shape, but all beginners will ride continuous (faster) boards better. To ride a One (or any 3 stage) you have to be able to drive through the wake on every trick. If you come off edge on your approach your speed will drop off fast because 3 stage boards have more drag.

3 stage boards work best for advanced riders who really want to be able to romp down on their edge at the base of the wake and convert that energy straight up. In the right hand, they are magical, but 3 stage boards aren't for everyone.

I've ridden the Murray and the Timebomb, they are both great boards, but very different.

Thanks! This is the only info I can find on the RXT board:

https://www.evo.com/wakeboard-bindings/ronix-rxt

Do you have any additional info on it? Looks super high end. Is it continuous or three stage? What type of edge?
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-14-2018, 3:15 PM Reply   
I have also looked at the district and there is a 2018 143 in stock at my local shop that I could grab if it goes on sale this month.