Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff_2002)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-04-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Hello everyone.... I hope someone might be able to tell me what is wrong with my boat. It has happend the last 2 days I have been out on the water. Temps here are at about 100 right now. The boat has no problem starting right up in the morning or when we are boarding. The problem starts after I have been going for about 4 hours on the water. If we anchor up and sit for any length of time (over an hour) and try to restart it, the boat just chokes itself out or has a very hard time ideling and will then just die. It almost sounds flooded everytime. We let it sit everytime (more than 30min) and try to restart. I pump the throttle to get fresh fuel in. After a long process it will fire back up. Once we are going again, the boat is fine. I think it is vapor lock, but just wanted to make sure. Also, if that is the case, what is the best action to take to solve this problem.

I was also hoping someone could recommend a good place to get my boat worked on in case it needs to go in. I live in NW IL. I was just wondering where everyone takes their boats if anyone was close to me.

Thank you for all of your help,

Jeff
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-04-2012, 3:32 PM Reply   
Do a search or check out this thread.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794193
Old     (Jeff_2002)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-04-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
Thanks. I will take a look.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-04-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
almost sounds like fouled sparked plugs or possibly an alternator depending on how your using your boat when it sits
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-04-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
I would agree it may not be vapour lock, but the temp in the engine compartment can easily exceed 175 degrees after shutting down the engine without cooling. However, aAfter 30 minutes with cooling it should start once the lines are purged. I had a carb'd engine that was a pain in the butt once the plugs were fouled. It resembled both electrical and fuel problems. Once new plugs were in it ran like a top for months, until the next time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-04-2012, 9:25 PM Reply   
your problem might be that you pump the throttle.

instead--if it does not start right up by just turning the key-- put it in neutral and wide open throttle(don't pump) and turn key, when it catches let it rev up a little then down to idle
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-04-2012, 11:10 PM Reply   
I don't know what engine or boat you have but it does sound like vapour lock. It might be a leaking injector that is flooding a cylinder when hot. If it was that you would probably have smoke after it starts for a bit. If it's vapour lock the quick fix is to open the engine compartment when you stop the boat and let the heat out. Even running the blower when idling or stopped will help. A lack of ventilation lets everything get heat soaked and even the starter won't work as well.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-05-2012, 12:39 AM Reply   
I agree with art. My boat did the same thing last weekend. It could be you got ethanol in the fuel so seafoam or stabil in the gas tank for starters. When the motor gets hot and can't cool off the fuel can boil causing the vapor lock. Im hoping opening the engine cover when we stop and the seafoam fixes mine as well.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
Yesterday with the air temp about 95 degrees ours vapor locked. It was rough out so the kids tubed for about an hour and then we headed for the swim cove. Dumb a@@ me forgot to run the blower and open the engine hatch once anchored. Couple of cold waters on the fuel pump rail and the fuel filter she started and ran like a top.
Old     (Jeff_2002)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-05-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I have a 2007 Supra Launch 20ssv. It has a Indmar Engine.
Old     (rarasaurus)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
We have a 2007 21v with the 340hp motor. These boats had the vapour lock issues and to fix the problem our dealer installed another fuel pump I believe on the same line. No problems in 3 years since.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
I have had the same issue. My boat will start then die after a few seconds then I had to work at getting it going and not stalling. It acted like it was starved for fuel. My problem was easily resolved by cracking the engine cover or running the blower after the engine has sat for a while to remove the heat. I must have been just on the edge because it did not take much to resolve the problem. Search the threads, one solution was to insulate the line. Seemed easy to resolve.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-05-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
indmar sells a piggyback fuel pump kit that I think was developed for supra boats with the first gen cat'ed motors.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=49-5137
Old     (Jeff_2002)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-05-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
Thanks again everyone! Called the supra service center today. He said the samething with this 2007 engine. As a start I put a new fuel filter in and I am going to run some seafoam through just to clean it up. Thanks for the info on the piggyback system too! Going to the lake now to try it out.