Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-06-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
I know there are a lot of people on here that are Ford diesel fanatics and I am considering purchasing a 06 F250 6.0 which approx. 72,XXX miles on it. So I was wondering if you all can help me to answer some questions on what types of things to be on the look out for and what type of maintenance I may be looking at:

- Rumor has it that the front end wheel bearings are only good for about 50K before they need swapping. Any truth to that? This truck is lifted.
- General rule of thumb for oil changes. I seem some people say 3k, some say 5k and some even say 7k.
- I see a lot of issues related to head studs, suggestions to delete the EGR, install a coolant filtration system, etc. etc.
- Other things or suggestions I should look into

I bought a brand new 03 6.0L in 2004, but I only had it for a short time so I never became overly familiar with them. I have done a Carfax on this which looks pretty clean, but unlike some of the other ones I have been researching, the service records do not show up, so I am assuming that it was maintained, but not by a Ford dealer.

Anyone out there that could maybe pull an Oasis report for me?

2006 FORD F250 SUPER DUTY
VIN: 1FTSW21P66EA16410
CREW PICKUP
6.0L V8 FI
4 WHEEL DRIVE

The listing also says its an XLT, Carfax doesn't clarify that and Autocheck, shows its a Lariat, Outlaw, King Ranch or Harley. I know it's not a Harley, since it doesn't have any Harley stuff and I have never seen a Black on Black leather King Ranch. Any help clarifying the exact model would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-06-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
My 07 Lariat has "Lariat" in stiches on the front two seats. The F250 emblem on the front fenders has the word Lariat on them also.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-06-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
EGR delete is a must do, but that is far from solving your problems. The head studs stretch (ARP Replacements are the ticket but def not garunteed, my dad already stretched them, no lift or tune on it). Now his heads warped (after they have already been replaced). Oil cooler has been replaced, the calipers completely destroyed pads and rotors and it was reccomended to change out calipers all together.
So some will argue right away that it's a lemon right? My good friend had the same truck a small lift is all and both are 06's. His was in an out of the shop 18 times, yes 18 times in one year! Lemon law took full effect and they bought it back. These are only two of seven 06 trucks (f250 or f350) that I know of with complete nightmares. My other two buddies have 2008s in 6.4l and they have both had motor problems but not near the extent (but it shouldnt either way new, right?)...
International was building these motors that have failed beyond miserably. So rumor has it they are now buildi g there own motors once again.

Dodge is supposed to be a bullet proof motor but have cheaper interiors and weak tranny's some what. Chevys have great motors Allison tranny's that more than last and it's all around a great truck but the price tag isn't attractive, that's for sure.

So basically if it were me and my money, I'd buy a Chevy if it was in my price range followed by a dodge and would just be easy on the interior on the dodge. I HIGHLY reccomend not touching an 06 ford unless you own a car and another truck on top of this becuas it WILL be in the shop haha (worse yet 2 miles from the lake with your boat behind it broke down).

If you have to have a Ford for people that are brand biased, get a motor generation older I believe it's a 7.3l which I've heard isnt a power house but a very dependable motor
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-06-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
I would be looking at a 7.3 if I was in the market for a diesel. I believe they made them through the early 2000s. Early 6.x had some issues. Guy at work has a 2010 that blew the turbo hoses due to cheap crimped clamps, cheap and easy fix but was inconvenient since he was towing his 5th wheel. Had been great for him aside from that minor issue.

As for wheel bearings... It's a Dana 60. I'd imagine it's about the same as every Dana 60. If so you should be fine for well over 50ok miles if you keep the bearings out of water and repack them every couple years. Even if you have to replace them, you're talking under $100 including beer. I'd be more worried about the flimsy balljoint knuckles they put on the new trucks before I'd worry about wheel bearings.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-07-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
Unless you want a project vehicle and are getting a completely ridiculous deal don't buy a 6.0L Ford. The head bolt replacement is a cab off repair and will cost you $7,000+ to have done by a mechanic. Some people are happy with them but IMHO it's not worth the risk unless you are compensated very significantly on the purchase price.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-07-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Unless you want a project vehicle and are getting a completely ridiculous deal don't buy a 6.0L Ford. The head bolt replacement is a cab off repair and will cost you $7,000+ to have done by a mechanic. Some people are happy with them but IMHO it's not worth the risk unless you are compensated very significantly on the purchase price.
I have a question about the whole cab off thing. I have heard that before but when I was at the HDAW meeting in vegas a couple months ago I spoke with a guy who has a huge diesel business in the Jersey area with 5 or 6 locations. I asked him about having to take the cab off and he said you don't have to. They do full engine overhauls or something like that with the cab on. He did say that the 6.0L is their favorite engine ever because it keeps them making a ton of money constantly having to work on them. Either way sounds like the 6.0L is a fairly unreliable motor.
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-07-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have 120,000 miles and have never had any trouble with my 06 F 350. I use it to pull boats and goosneck trailers all the time. I put a chip on mine the day I picked it up at the factory and an exhaust about 2 weeks after that. It has a 4" lift so I could put 35" tires on it. I will say if you buy a 6.0 make sure it is a later model. I hear everyone talking about the head bolts and EGR but have not done them yet. Going to do them one day after I put a transmission in the truck. But as long as everyone talks bad about them that keeps the price down where you can afford them Good luck I love mine had the 7.3 also like my 06 better.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-07-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Sunk $10k in my 05 in a year. It only had 75000 miles on it but the problems started 1 month out of warranty. Needless to say I no longer own it.