Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Chaserwaser            07-08-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Hit me guys, I want good/bad between all of thse and other trucks you can think of like titan, silverado ect; Planning on buying a new truck very quickly in the next week or so...
Thanks,
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       07-08-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
I own an 07" Tundra Crew and cant say a bad word about it. It tows my 99 Supra Launch with no problems. Not a lot of bells and whistles. It is the TRD 4X4. I wish it had options like back up camera and rear/front parking sensors, but what you gonna do. I love the truck anyway.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Tundra with the 5.7L is going to have the most power, especially here in Colorado. What boat are you towing? That makes a huge difference in the decision.
Old     (mrawdtsi)      Join Date: May 2009       07-08-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
Chase,

I've had experience with each of these trucks.

Owned a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport QC 5.7L
- Was a good truck, started to shift funny after 3 years of pulling the boat. I suspected it was going bad, since it was paid off, i bought a Tundra, the truck i always wanted. Other than the transmission acting funny, the truck was great. i got about 17mpg highway, and about 14 towing.

Currently own a 2007 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L
This truck is lifted with 35"s on it. Pulls just fine. I like the look a lot better and the truck is everything i wanted in a pickup. i will drive this thing into the ground most likely.

My dad owns a 2008 Ford F150 5.4L
pretty much a stock truck. I've pulled my 24' boat just fine with it. Truck feels solid, but certainly lacks the power my Tundra has.

My advice is drive each one, beat up on them on the test drive, and decide what you like best. Each are good trucks, imo.
Old    SamIngram            07-08-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Motortrend Article....
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
If you can get a Chevy with the 6.2L, go for that but most have the 5.3. I went with a diesel to pull my RZ2 because that 5.3L sucks azz, especially up here in Colorado with the hills and the 75mph speed limit! I think the Tundra and Titan work the best up here as far as gassers go.

Last edited by timmyb; 07-08-2010 at 1:06 PM.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-08-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
The Tundra is the only other truck I would consider over my Avalanche. The Tundra is HUGE on the inside if you have the quad cab. I drove one of the Limited TRD joints from Boise to Denver and it was awesome. It had a 3 inch lift 20" rims and 33s and it rode great.

I would say add the avalanche to your list as it is one hell of a truck too. I love that I can fold my midgate down and now have an 8ft bed if I need to go get drywall or something like that. I tow our supra launch 60 miles no problem with mine and that is at 5000 ft of elevation. I have also towed an axis A22 behind it with no issues.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Had 2005 Titan and now a 2010 Tundra. The Tundra pulls better, I think mostly due to the 6-speed transmission. I also had some mechanical issues on the Titan.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-08-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
I agree with Bruiza that you should add the Avalanche to your list. I never liked the look of those until my buddy got one last year and they are incredibly nice. He will tow my Supra Launch 21V with no problems and gets much better gas mileage than our Explorer. I had a '01 Dodge Ram 1500 and it pulled our old Malibu Sportster very nice. Granted that was only a 19 1/2 foot boat and did not weigh very much.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
I traded in my 5.3L Avalanche because it couldn't handle the weight of the RZ2. Love the truck, actually one of my favorite vehicles that I have owned but that transmission can't handle 6,000 lbs all of the time. I hated towing with that thing from Thornton to Horsetooth every weekend, was always pegged at 4,500+ rpm as soon as you got north of Longmont because 4th gear couldn't handle the load at 75mph. They do make a 6.0L Avalanche that would probably be pretty good or the 2500 with the 8.1L as well. Also, 6-8 mpg towing with the 5.3L is less than desirable. I got 10 towing my 19' Rinker all day long but it was 1/2 the weight.
Old    Chaserwaser            07-08-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
So it kind of sounds like the tundra is the way to go, I was leaning towards this more then the others
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
I love the new Tundra.. If I were shopping new 1/2 tons it'd be a Tundra or a Chevy with the new 6.2 . I am partial to the look of the Tundra, though.
Old     (cbennett224)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-08-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
Gosh there's a lot of tundra fans on here. For me, I love dodge. I had a 2005 regular cab a couple years ago. And traded it in for a 2009 quad cab. I use it as a work truck every single day. I haul a flatbed trailer for my landscape job. And it works great. I have never had any issues at all. Have done regular maintenance and kept it pretty clean and it runs great. I know there's that threat of the horrifying hemi tick or it dying randomly at idle. But I have never experienced this myself. And I have many friends who also have hemi trucks and never had a wink of problems. Ram's do not have the room that the tundra does. But to me, Toyota made the tundra for stereo type "fat" americans. Which seems weird to me. The seats are extra wide, the cup holders can hold what? a 65 oz drink. The interior was lacking for me. I just didn't think it looked as fancy as the dodge or ford. It was rather on the bland side. Kind of like the Chevy interior. Now Im not saying the Toyota is a bad truck by any means. But it just wasn't for me. Since Im not the biggest guy in the world.

Chevy on the other hand can haul your boat, the kids, and is still good as a daily driver. Chevy is made for a work truck. So you know with that new 6.2 it should haul great with the right gear setup. But i wasn't impressed with its towing. The truck i test drove seemed to shift rough under normal conditions. I couldn't imagine it with a trailer.

Ford has been around forever. And it is America's most popular truck. It has a lot of options as far as interior, navigation, and the luxury items. I have a friend, whose father is a ford dealer. He can recommend ford all day. But to me, ford is still a hard truck to work on in your drive way. Even changing the oil is a hassle in some cases. But as far as pulling its as good as any other.

Over the years. The auto companies have improved a lot of their faults. And now you can hardly go wrong picking out a tow vehicle. Like someone said above, you're just going to have to find the trucks YOU like the most. And test drive them. Look at their towing options side by side. And then look at what options you'd want for you and your family. It's really all up to the individual person. Because each one of us is going to have different opinions and experiences with our trucks. And each person here is bias to which one we drive on a daily basis. It seems like you have a good start. Just make sure you come back and show us all what one you picked lol.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-08-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Anything diesel. If you buy a diesel you will never buy a wimpy gas guzzler again.
Old    Chaserwaser            07-13-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
God guys I dont know what to do my mind changes way to quickly... Im not towing anything right now ... I also like the thought of a caddy cts , chrysler 300c , STI maybe? I just dont feel like being a tool hahah :-p
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Find a nice used truck that was babied (no towing or hauling).

Payments are for non-stuntin' clowners
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
As an American/Ford owner (05 F150 5.4L 150k miles on it never failed me)/Ford stock holder..buy an F150. They really are great trucks. I tow not only my own boat but customers boats ALL the time.No problems what so ever. Good luck in your search.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
I have a 2010 Tundra and love it!

I think the Tundra was over-built for a 1/2 ton. When I first towed with it I was very happy with the pulling power, but what really caught me off guard was how well it stopped while towing. This truck has big brakes! I hauled a cubic yard of sand (roughly 2000lbs.) the other day and the truck didn't sag much and drove almost completely normal. When it handled that load without an issue I put about 3,000lbs worth of concrete in it, to haul down the street to a dumping spot. That load was to heavy and I wouldn't recommend it, but oh well

If I couldn't have the Tundra, my second choice would be a chevy with the 6.2. The other 1/2 ton engines don't have the power of the Tundra of Chevy...although I hear Ford is about to catch up/pass up really soon!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
hate n pain that is impressive information. i'm a snap-on tool dealer i go to all the dealerships. they all have service departments they all stay busy. i get beat up all the time about loving FORDS the best ,but i'm not going to switch horses in the middle of a race.i've owned fords since 1978 always had a truck.i know real world use of a truck. i have a diesel f250 now . it's the best towing truck i've ever had. i also have a 42' allegro bus with a 500hp 1250lbft of torque diesel engine you don't even know your towing something behind it.any truck can pull a boat or a trailer. your video shows which truck can handle the load.meaning if you need control in a panic situation you have it with the others its a maybe. i KNOW you can put insurance on all these trucks , but do you want to use it or brag about how well your new ford handled it. SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Yep all dealers have to work on their cars just some more than others.
Name:  JD power.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  159.7 KB

The Toyota dealer near me built a new dealership and included 68 work bays! They're not for oil changes.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
the lexus dealer i see has the most technicans of any shop i go too .my chrysler jeep dodge is second. land rover techs agree with the poll they call it job security.mitsubishi is a close second though.