Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-08-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Im am positive Im not the first person to think of this but...
If you have a rip in your cover, denim iron on patches work great to fix it. My cover had about a two foot rip in it and I fixed it today with a few iron on patches. They worked great! I am pretty stoked to not have to worry about buying another cover soon.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-09-2009, 3:11 AM Reply   
Good info Sean. What kind of cover do you have? I have what I think is an Evolution Cover, and there is alot of stretch to it. I wondered what I would do when it inevitably rips some day. And are you talking about just regular denim pants patches?
Old     (do420jc)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-09-2009, 3:32 AM Reply   
Can you post up a pic and where did you get the patches? Thanks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
I've used this stuff in the past for small rips.

www.tear-aid.com
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-09-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Bu Coo if your cover rips it's probably user error. I can't see that cover ripping under normal conditions. You don't know what brand it is? If it's an evolution call up Cory and tell what's going on, he'll fix it for you if you're having issues.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-09-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Its the cover that came with the boat in 2005. I will have to look for a mnfg name on it.
BuCoo, yes just regular old denim pants patches. Got em at my friendly walmart. Two 5x7 for $1.77.
The cover ripped where the tower lays down on my ski pole behind the rear seat. At first it was a 1/2" rip no big deal....then one day rrrrriiiiip when I was pulling the cover back over the transom. I will post up some pics.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-09-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that the denim is not going to have the same waterproof properties that Sunbrella or Sharkskin or whatever other material your cover is made of. Making patches of that same material could be just as easy. Walmart (and most other stores) sell the iron on adhesive alone, then you just bond it to a piece of Sunbrella, then to your cover.
Although I think I'd have it sewn in place for added strength, especially if it's in any high stress areas on the cover. I've had a shop do this kind of repair for $20 or $30 in the off season before. In fact, I have a repair that needs to be done on my Rankin cover now.... will be getting it done soon.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-09-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
5x7 inch patches. Used 8 of them.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
I installed two of those vents in my cover and while pulling the cover to the back of the boat, as I did before the vent install, it ripped where I had placed one of the vents. Went to the fabric store and picked up some more canvas and some liquid thread. Cut out two pieces and glued them over the tear on the inside and out. Worked great. I actually pulled to Powell with the cover on and the patch job held up fine.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-10-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
I have a cover that has about a dozen repair patches and has been good for over a year. I used contact adheisive (like the type to glue carpets) and cut up an old pair of jeans to make the patches.

I glued all mine on the inside of the cover and you have to look closely to see the repairs.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-10-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Nu Bu, What the heck? I havn't ripped my cover yet, hopefully it won't be because of user error, and no I'm not 100% sure who made my cover. I also don't know who made my wheel rims or depth finder. Harsh dude. Thanks for the name of the person to call once something does happen... I think.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-10-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
hahahah sean you let your tower down a little too fast didnt you........... I did the same thing on my V210 but i gorilla glued my cover back to life, but its in the garage
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-10-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
Bu Coo don't be so sensitive. I guess my post should have read " you say you think it's a evolution cover, are you sure?". That cover will not "inevitably rip" unless it's installed wrong, something dropped on it, etc.. Same thing with the stretching, sunbrella does stretch a little initially but shouldn't be something that is considered "alot".

If it's the stock cover that says malibu with the straps that go down to the traieler it's definitely not an evolution cover or rankin.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-10-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Thats right Travis..well not exactly. My buddy dropped it a few years ago. Put a dime size dent in the tower too. Started out as a 1/2" rip that I should have patched a long time ago.
I took it off for the pictures, but since then I throw a folded up towel up there for the tower to sit on..especially if it gets dropped again.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-13-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
hahah im glad im not the only one who has down that! my gorilla glue looks like ass I may look into these patches, thanks!