Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q51j4mCnyFU

Well atleast working on it

Maybe I could get some tips ?

Thanks
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-30-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
it looks good, maybe try to tuck your chin into your chest more at the beginning of the rotation. Also, you might want to try riding a longer line to get more pop and go w2w
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Keep on it man you will get it around, I would recommend trying to concentrate on popping more straight up than popping for distance...and like cody mentioned tuck that chin son.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
I feel like when I am leaving the wake my chin is tucked and everything, it's just I sort of open up mid air and stop rotating.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-30-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Good technique once you are there, but you flattened out your edge super early. Get on a more aggressive edge and hold it nearly to the bottom of the wake.
From there, you are looking good to land it.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-31-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Sweet thanks Shaun!

I'll definitely do that and let you guys know how it goes.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-31-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
first thing I noticed was your edge started dying off way before the wake. The harder your edge is, the more it will snap your board up and around you, so don't let up. your form looks great so just work on being a little more aggressive about leaving the wake with it. Front rolls are almost impossible to overrotate, so try and push your chest towards the water on the landing so you can ride away on edge
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
Anyone else notice how that board did not pop AT ALL? It's like it almost absorbed the wake when it hit it. I guess that is the whole loading a flex board pop philosophy right there.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-31-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
board is irrelevant...

Like Shaun said... Edge!

Drift in, in the beginning and increase edge and line tension as you get closer to the wake.
Old     (killercam)      Join Date: May 2009       06-01-2009, 1:02 AM Reply   
"first thing I noticed was your edge started dying off way before the wake. The harder your edge is, the more it will snap your board up and around you, so don't let up. your form looks great so just work on being a little more aggressive about leaving the wake with it. Front rolls are almost impossible to overrotate, so try and push your chest towards the water on the landing so you can ride away on edge"

Exactly what I would say. You're right there, a couple more trys and you'll have it.
Old     (wakeboardingzach)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-01-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
You have to land on that toe edge! Nice man!
Old     (cwitham)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-01-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
I fell exactly like that SOOOOOO many times learning a front roll. It wasn't until someone told me "think of rotating 1 1/2 times" that I finally got it. You are untucking too early. Just hold your tuck a little longer and you would have had it.

The posts about getting off your edge too soon are right too. Hold the edge until the crest of the wake then you will get sweet air, and the roll is in the bag.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
I get what you guys are saying about staying on edge it's just staying tucked is a little difficult to actually do. It feels like I am coming untucked without doing it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-01-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Most of my frontrolls, I haul ass into the wake then let off right at the top, like a tantrum motion.... I usually like taking a straight roll into the flats, just easier for me to land it without using the far wake.

As sid before, you have to do the roll, plus some.... if you don't land on your toe edge again you'll slip out, unless you can throw them straight up and down (Benny G does it beset) then you can come down flat.

Good luck
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Grrr, this is frustrating.

Rode today and made no progress, if anything it looked worse.

I completely understand what i need to do and i can picture it perfectly, i am just having all this trouble with actually doing it.

I kept getting hit in the nuts from landing on my back with my legs spread so I only took a couple attempts and went in.

I'll post some video later I guess but its basically the same thing, landing on my back but not getting much air compared to the first couple ones.

Another thing is that i can do front flips and stuff off diving boards and trampolines easily, it's just when I got that board strapped on my feet it's a lot different.

(Message edited by homedawg678 on June 01, 2009)
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-01-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
one idea is if you got a trampoline, take the fins off that Company, tie a rope/handle off to a tree and throw frontrolls til you get it around
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
I'd be all over that it's just I don't have one, and don't have too easy access of one either...

Thanks for the idea though
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-01-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
you could always get a 8-10ft pretty cheap at stores like wally world, sam's club, or sports authority, heck of alot of fun
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Ahh fireballs, the worst part of learning frontrolls.

I was in the same boat as you for the longest time. I realize now that I just wasnt being aggressive enough. All the advice you need has been said. I realize now that I literally cut twice as hard from further out than a normal TS wake jump and I dont let off until Im riding up the wake. It is a trip flip, but I feel like you dont have to think about the trip, just rail into the wake and when you go to pop and throw your head down, you will get the trip you need. Good luck man!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
Fireballs = Getting hit in the nuts from behind? haha
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Fireballs=the feeling that someone is holding a blowtorch under your nuts, commonly observed after underrotating frontrolls and sliding out on HS 5s etc.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
Hahaha nothing like a punch to the gonads to get you pumped !
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Personally I would not recommend getting an 8 to 10 foot trampoline unless you like spending time in the hospital. If you are going to get a trampoline do not go under 13 feet. The extra money you spend will save you money on medical bills.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Here are a couple pics

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-02-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
Try to land on your face... you won't... you'll stick it.
Old    steelethis            06-02-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
you're flattening out awfully early and it's killing your momentum, so try and hold that edge a bit longer to give you a better trip. also looks like you have the same problem i do and that is coming untucked early causing you to slide out. i try and grab the board either indy or tail to help keep me balled up for as long as possible. looks good though hope this helps ya stick it!
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-02-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Here's another tip. With lots of rolls, having rope tension helps your rotation. When you lose tension your rotation slows down a lot. Try to keep the handle closer to your body. If you look at the middle pic above, you'll notice that your arm is almost fully extended even though you're only 3/4 of the way through a complete rotation. Keep it close!

Also, as was mentioned above, hold that edge longer! Instead of thinking 'trip flip', just think 'pop up not out', and that might do the trick.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
My first few attempts handle was in, but more n more I did it got further and further out, and I am not talking in one session, like that was my first attempt of the day.
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-02-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
man i'm sooooO scared of that trick......

Tobin will know why...
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Haha what happened ?