Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       03-26-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
i'm learning to ride switch, perfect my w2w, do heel side 180's, and possibly heel side 360's.

should i weight my boat? i have 400 in the back and 250 in the front, should i ride with no weight when i'm learning these tricks?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
That doesn't seem like a ton of weight so I would say it doesn't matter except for the fact you maybe falling more so less weight = less gas getting going.

Big wakes are great as they allow you to go exponentially higher on tricks, but they also take bad technique and amplify them exponentially too

What kind of boat?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
"i have 400 in the back and 250 in the front"

That's pretty much no weight :-)
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
It's not necessary at all. I learned those tricks behind a SeaDoo boat. I say bump up the weight once you perfect them.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       03-26-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
i have a 1998 MasterCraft ProStar 205. i ride with like 6-8 people so we can't put that much weight in because there will be no where to sit.

i was just wondering, while i'm learning these tricks if i need weight at all?

when i want i big wake i put 700 in the back and 400 in the front.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-26-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
I have to agree with J-rod. That is like an empty boat. What kind of boat is it?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-26-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Man with that hull you can dump an honest 4000lbs plus in.

I sacrifice room to sit for room for weight any day of the week. People dont weigh as much as water thats for sure.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       03-26-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
i was just wondering, while i'm learning these tricks if i need weight at all?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-26-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
Jack, no you do not need weight.

By learning on a small wake, you will learn proper edging and loading of line. You wont be able to cheat with a huge wake.

Once you have it dialed, and then take it to a big wake, you will go huge
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-26-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Isn't a Fat Sac just an overpriced waterbed? I can think of multiple times when I've racked out on their pillowy softness for a between set nap.

It depends on how you want to learn stuff, learn it once going big or relearning it with different weight configurations. If you are concerned about burning more gas, get over it. If you are worried about bigger crashes, again, get over it. The only thing I will say is that learning good habits will help you for years. The kids that learn behind a boat with 4k in weight have a crutch whereas the kids that learn on a small wake like yours will be able to ride anything and have good technique. The weight you are talking about is inconsequential.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
I learned everything you listed unweighted in my boat on a 70 foot line. Once you add the weight its just gonna give you more pop and hang time. I say start without weight then add the weight after a couple good landings.

In outher words if you can land the trick
without weight, than you can land it with for sure with weight.

I actually learned HS 180 first. I could only ride switch for a lil bit then would have to go back. Then one day I said Im just gonna start riding switch as much as regular. I landed a toeside semi-w2w 3 first. then hs 3. Finally I learned melon hs 180s before 3s. I would get to the point where it was robotic and I would spin the 180 late or even get an extra grab on the way down. This got me to pop- wait- then spin making hs 3 easier because me for it was just about adding the last 180 to it at that point. Also remember to keep the handle in tight and at your hips (or some even like below their butt).
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Big Heavy is right on target...seen it too many times... "The kids that learn behind a boat with 4k in weight have a crutch whereas the kids that learn on a small wake like yours will be able to ride anything and have good technique."I rode for 5 years behind a 13ft Boston Whaler. When the wake is as big as your ankle...if you want to learn anything you better find a way to get some pop. I would apply the same progressive edge behind any bigger boat and would just FLY!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-26-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
No weight necessary at first. I learned all those tricks you mentioned behind a 1981 Seaswirl tri-hull with no weight at all. Once you learn to get all of the pop without any weight you'll get that much more when you start to weight.

With that boat just slow it down a bit and get a few people. Start at 70'-ish of rope and 22-ish mph. You should be good.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       03-26-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
i ride 65' at about 21-22ish (the speedometer says 25).

thanks everyone for the help, i will go out to 70'.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
If you normally ride at 65 then stick with 65 to learn this stuff. You dont want to add any variables yet to make it harder on you. These are the fundamentals. Learn it right the first time. Stick with 65ft at 21-22 if thats what you do best at
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-26-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
"The only thing I will say is that learning good habits will help you for years."

Big Heavy this is a BRILLANT Statement.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-27-2009, 2:01 AM Reply   
Mr. Siebring said it right. After coaching for three years, I forced a lot of people to ride behind the prostar 190 we had for skiing (with tower) when they were learning basic wake jumps up to backrolls, tantrums and spins.