Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-22-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
I have alot of regular wakeboarding DVD's (instructional and pure entertainment ones) but I just recently bought the Chick Flick DVD with all female riders. I loved the DVD and was wondering if any of those female riders are members here?

I felt very inspired to push harder at wakeboarding.

I think I also felt a little intimidated too; they were so good. How fast can you progress in wakeboarding? I mean, I'm barely doing W2W but I just started last March. I really would love to do so much more and want too.

Any general advice about getting to the next level. Do I need private lessons or camp or can I just try on my own and get far? Is it safer to have someone really "teach" you instead of just figuring it out??

How does one just decide they are going to flip in the air? Is their preparation on land first; like trampoline and stuff.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just excited about learning more.

I have a huge dance background and I was hoping this would help my riding too. Will it?

Thanks ladies!!!!! Ya'll all are my inspiration
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2009, 1:08 AM Reply   
awesome! we're stoked that you enjoyed it!

a lot of the girls read posts in here, but the only one that i know that actually participates is barrett perlman.

i'm no lady, but here's my opinion on a few things.

learning on your own is possible, but lessons never hurt anyone. it can only help you. do some research and post in the general wake forum to get people's opinion and experiences at the camps in texas.

find people to ride with in your area. and ride w/ people that are better than you. they don't necessarily have to teach you (though that helps), but just watching them helps.

as for "flips," i want to stress that you work and master the fundamentals first. doing so will only make learning inverts a lot easier.

have fun! always remember why you got in the sport in the first place.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-24-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hey Audrey...Umali is absolutely correct. Let me tell you how I feel about progression. This summer will be my fifth year wakeboarding. My pro surfer daughter got me past my fear of trying it and the rest is history. The next summer I got involved with our club and started taking lessons with Brent of socal wakeboard instruction. I wanted to learn to go wake to wake and we started working on that but he taught me the basics of edging and balance and handle control. I soon came to realize the importance of the basics and how important it is to master the basics at each level...and there are basics at every level. I started going to Schwennes camp every year, Jesson Vedels clinics once a month in the summer, then went to Florida a couple times to camp and this past Dec. rode with Shaun and Travis. I also train with a personal trainer and (need to get back to) training at Twist N U on the trampoline. I have done flips on the tramp and off my diving board, but I have yet to try a flip on the water....not that I don't want to, but I understand the importance of getting the basics solid first. And as a result, when I do decide I am ready to flip, I will have a greater understanding of how to do it, and do it so I don't get hurt. But that is just my opinion and I tend to be a little cautious....but I am twice your age too.

So that said, I still ride with Brent about 3 days a week in the summer, and Jesson, and I think I must be part of the staff at Schwennes camp (since this will be my 5th time there) and I am safety director and rope chick at all our contests here. I am working on my backside 180 w2w and want to start working on my 3. I see so many kids at the contests, who can't do anything toeside, trying inverts...makes me sad that they put so much emphasis on flipping and not basic riding. Proper progression is SO important.

I am so stoked when other ladies are excited about riding. I love going out on a boat with riders of any level....it's great to see their thrill and I love sharing my passion. Always remember the most important thing when you ride is to HAVE FUN!!!!

(Message edited by rnopr8 on January 24, 2009)
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-24-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Audrey,

It is great to "feel" your enthusiasm. Speaking from someone who has ridden for 10 years with only one lesson.....take lessons! It's very difficult to improve when you have no one there with you that can provide feedback! You have someone very close to you that is a tremendous coach and awesome rider.

Check out Billy G. and we can also hook you up with pulls from ladies in the Austin area that are great fans of those learning and progressing!

http://www.freeridewake.com/

(Message edited by wakekat15 on January 24, 2009)

(Message edited by wakekat15 on January 24, 2009)
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-24-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Thank you for all your replies. Yes, I'm so pumped and ready to get back onto the water. I have heard of Billy G. wasn't he that MTV Made wakeboard coach?

I was planning on doing a 3 day clinic with McElhinney wakeboard school in sequin. Has anyone been before?

I will go ahead and check out Freeridewake too, though. Austin is only an hour from me.

I definetly want to do things right and I take instruction very well (kinda of have too being a dancer and that involves alot of technique stuff).

I even thought about taking a gymnast class. Do you think that can help? I mean I'm super flexible now, but I would like more help with backwards stuff, like back handsprings and so forth, so that I can get more comfortable with the whole flipping backwards thing.

I currently can't start riding till April. While riding last summer (during September) I slammed the water super hard, which slightly torn some of my muscles in the pec region and that caused one of my implants to be injuried, but long story short, I just got them fixed and Dr. says no wakeboarding till April! lol Which I guess I'll have to wait, but meantime I can line up my game plan for the summer!!!!

Today I was so excited about wakeboarding, I stood in my living room with my board on just trying to practice grabs! lol
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-24-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
LOL....I have even had my board on in the pool trying stuff
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-25-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Yes, Billy was on MTV made. We got to know him at Nationals/World's last year. I have not taken lessons at either McElhinney's or Freeride, but did get to ride with Billy a few weeks ago when we were in Texas. He gave me a couple of pointers on the TS backroll, but the water temps have not cooperated in my putting that advice into practice. The water was only 56 degrees here yesterday! (I know that is warm compared to a lot of those whose lakes are now frozen!) I had oral surgery last week too, so I can't afford to take any faceplants for a while!

Anywho, Billy is a lot of fun to watch ride and hang out with, so I would guess his lessons are fun as well. Tell him you want the Kat referral discount! lol

Good Luck in being disciplined enough to wait until April...that would be very hard to do once the Texas spring weather arrives!

PS As far as gymnastics helping, I'm sure it would. I would say that work on the trampoline would be the most helpful though!

(Message edited by wakekat15 on January 25, 2009)
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-25-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thanks Kat!

Yeah, I'm not sure if I can hold out till April too! However, I have spent almost 10K in getting/fixing boobs, that might be my motivation. So, that is why I want to try to focus on other stuff, like tampoline practice and/or gymnast flipping while I'm waiting!

Billy already sounds fun, can't wait to hear back from him. I just emailed him.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-29-2009, 1:57 AM Reply   
Joe,

Who was that guy in the Chick Flick during the credits dressed as a girl talking about wakeskating? I heard it was Murray.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-31-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
Bret,

I heard the same thing. Pretty sure it was Murray.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-28-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Audrey,

Stoked you liked the Chick Flick! Don't be intimidated. It's all about time on the water and dedication. No fear= progression! If you fall hard, get back up and do the same thing again so you'll have a better memory of the trick and won't be scared to try it again next set. Where are you located? I'm going to be travelling around this summer doing some private clinics....

Keep rippin!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Barrett: I'm located in Killeen TX (between Waco and Austin)

I have started practicing moves on a trampoline and I'm ready to try them on the water now. Also, I set up a private and wakeboarding camp this summer.

You going to be anywhere near me?
Old     (psychowakechick)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
Barrett: Where will you be for the private clinics??? I live in Northern California (Sacramento area)...