Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-01-2020, 6:31 AM Reply   
We need a fun thread. I unfortunately don't have anything to post just the idea. Please post pics.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-01-2020, 10:49 AM Reply   
How about things you hit. I hit a floating picnic table, in the Allegheny river, in PGH PA. it was just water logged enough to be just under the water, until i hit it, giant wood table that got swept into the river. felt like I hit a brick wall.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-01-2020, 4:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
How about things you hit. I hit a floating picnic table, in the Allegheny river, in PGH PA. it was just water logged enough to be just under the water, until i hit it, giant wood table that got swept into the river. felt like I hit a brick wall.
I hit a bright red bimini top storage boot that mustve been a few inches under water because i didn't see it and i was on the look out in an area with debris. Wound up in the prop real good, the boat hit the brakes and made a wreched grinding type sound from the tranny. I pulled neutral instantly too. As far as i can tell no damage except the ptsd from it lol
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2020, 5:32 PM Reply   
Well, I saw something this last Tuesday that was crazy. I'll give you guys the Reader's Digest version. On my way home from work, I saw what appeared to be a house fire downriver from my house as I exited the freeway. I drove closer to the fire and saw a group of lookie loo's both on the water as well as on the road, pulled over to view the spectacle of what turned out to be a boat on fire in the river. So, I turned around and hauled butt home. I called my wife and told her to get my life jacket, flip flops and Waverunner key laid out on the driveway. I got home, grabbed the stuff and ran to my dock. Then, I hauled butt downriver, doing 65 mph past 2 marinas and a launch ramp on my way to put out the fire. I get there and the flames were still rollin and no fire department present. I cruise by the burning boat doing 25-30 mph and cut it hard and send up a big wave to douse the fire. Seemed to do the trick for a second and then, like a trick birthday candle, it reignites. This goes on for about 15-20 passes where I'm sending literal walls of water onto this fire-only to watch it reignite. Finally, after having sent so much water into the boat, the back end sank and the fire went out. Only problem was the bow-which was the only part remaining above water was still on fire! Unbelievable! It took 6-8 more passes to put the bow out-which I did.

After the last pass, a fire captain walks down the levee and says, "nice job!" I also got some attaboys from the fire chief via text. No way that boat is going anywhere else but the dump now. My takeaways were first, fiberglass is near impossible to put out once it's on fire. Second, so is fuel.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-02-2020, 2:35 AM Reply   
We used to have a Cobalt 292. Back in 2016 we were heading out from the dock to go meet the ski boat with all the kids on it. We took off and a passengers hat flew off so I stopped to retrieve it. When I stopped someone said "what is that smell" As I looked down, black smoke was rolling out of the dash and engine compartment. We pulled up the hatch and smoke billowed out. A passing pontoon flew up to us and people started jumping ship. I was hesitant because we just packed a large cooler on the boat There was no visible fire but as we investigated after dousing it with the extinguisher, we saw the wiring harness was melting and smoking. I killed the perko switches but it continued to flare up as we took it to the dock where the fire department was waiting. We go the batteries unhooked and it seemed to stop. Unfortunately since there was no actual fire, insurance wouldn't cover it and we had to put in a whole new harness. Sold the boat after that.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-02-2020, 4:08 AM Reply   
I took a new friend to a new lake to teach him the course. Diving in the normal boat path, BAM!, I hit something hard. I instantly pulled the boat out of gear. I put it back in gear to feel the prop and I hear, Thud, thud, thud, thud of the prop hitting the hull. I kill the boat to give it a swim check and there was a half of large turtle shell wrapped around the prop and shaft. I unwound what was left of the turtle and we were good to go.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-02-2020, 9:46 AM Reply   
i hit the picnic table in my first Malibu. i het the bridge in Cheat lake WV. in my first Centurion. the water was really high, The second bridge over the lake, heading up to the clear water section is about 1 ft from the top of your tower. Went up that morning. coming back, hear what sounds like a shot gun go off. no clue. Get the boat home, all good. 3 days later, go to clean it, and notice the tower tow ball is missing i hit the bridge, did not hurt the tower, but cut the ball off like a samurai sword cut it off. lol

Downfall, had to replace the tower, as you could not get the ball out, it oval out the ball mount. I have hit other things. hehehe. i have had some crazy ones too!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-02-2020, 3:01 PM Reply   
A boat full of 30 or so naked people. It was on lake Tulloch which is a pretty conservative lake. They all looked super hippy. Turned out they were bussed in by a promoter of a rave at a resort that night. We ended up hitting up the rave that night and it was some of the craziest **** I have ever seen. Let’s just say lots of furries!
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       10-04-2020, 4:03 AM Reply   
sitting on the dock relaxing. 2 older guys in a small 14ft'ish fishing boat with a tiller steer came by. same time a surf boat came by the other direction. guys ended up rolling over the wave and flipped the boat upside down and into the water they went. us and the couple sharing the dock for the day jumped in their boat and traveled out the 100ft or so to get them. the water was LITTERED with beer cans, 2 jack bottles and enough cigs floating around to fill a carton. they were 3 sheets drunk...
got them back to the dock with the boat. used our tsunami pump to empty the fishing boat and helped them clean up the water. they said thanks, got in the boat and told us they were heading back to the marina to leave but went the wrong way. 20 minutes later they came back by the other direction.
couple that were sharing the dock called sheriff and guessing they were stopped once rounding the corner back to the marina.

felt bad about letting them back into their boat but they were very drunk men. no reasoning with them at all.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2020, 11:54 PM Reply   
Not as crazy as some of the above stories, but we were out wakeboarding on the river and a deer swam across the river in front of us. As it swam across we all had to do a double take. Apparently they are very good swimmers. No pics though.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2020, 3:35 AM Reply   
I turned over a 4 man rowing crew or should I say 1 man and 3 women. All of them in there mid to late 50's.

I waited for them to leave the cove then filled up all the ballast and started taking sets down a long cover I've been using for years. This crew decide to come back into the cove. The very first time I passed them, they flipped it. We immediately headed over to help them out. My crew jumped in the water and turned the boat back over. They couldn't figure out how to do it. And even if they could have figure out how to flip it over. All of them where so out of shape they couldn't have gotten back in their boat if they wanted too. We had to help each one get up on the swim platform of my boat because the didn't have enough arm strength to pull them self up . The women where very thankful we came to help. The guy was a dick and acted like he had it all under control. "You sure did hotrod"

There was no way to tow it with out it flipping back over without them in it to balance it. So we pulled it up onto the back of the Supra and carried it over to where the rest of the Rowing was located. A few of the other team member on shore tried to start some **** about us flipping them. But where quickly put in their when we told them we didn't their fat@$$ out there trying to help anybody.
Attached Images

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-05-2020, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I turned over a 4 man rowing crew or should I say 1 man and 3 women. All of them in there mid to late 50's.

I waited for them to leave the cove then filled up all the ballast and started taking sets down a long cover I've been using for years. This crew decide to come back into the cove. The very first time I passed them, they flipped it. We immediately headed over to help them out. My crew jumped in the water and turned the boat back over. They couldn't figure out how to do it. And even if they could have figure out how to flip it over. All of them where so out of shape they couldn't have gotten back in their boat if they wanted too. We had to help each one get up on the swim platform of my boat because the didn't have enough arm strength to pull them self up . The women where very thankful we came to help. The guy was a dick and acted like he had it all under control. "You sure did hotrod"

There was no way to tow it with out it flipping back over without them in it to balance it. So we pulled it up onto the back of the Supra and carried it over to where the rest of the Rowing was located. A few of the other team member on shore tried to start some **** about us flipping them. But where quickly put in their when we told them we didn't their fat@$$ out there trying to help anybody.
Funny, growing up on the rivers in PGH PA, you would see fishing boats (small ones) and rowing people get clobbered by large barges, you can grab a surf wave off a loaded coal barge. No one said a work, then you hit them with a wake boat wave, they lose their minds. Oh, the barge does not stop to help you out.lol neither does the 65ft yacht at 10 mph, throwing a giant wake.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2020, 3:21 AM Reply   
A fishing boat ran out of fuel near my dock where I had a bunch of friends hanging out. I gave him a 5 gallon can of gas and he proceed to fill the boat while smoking a cigarette. When he was done he gave us the can back, thanked us, then flicked his butt into the water without a thought. Nothing happened but we did make him clean up his trash. What are people thinking...

Last edited by srock; 10-12-2020 at 3:24 AM.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-12-2020, 3:46 AM Reply   
I saw an airplane fly underneath a 50-75 foot bridge (guessing height). The Shreveport Barksdale bridge over the red river. I was just sitting in the boat waiting for my buddy to back to trailer down and then out of nowhere the small plane is flying about 10 feet off the water and goes right under the bridge. Its actually two bridges for both directions of traffic. What's even crazier is that the air force base is less than 2 miles away. I'm pretty sure its illegal to do that. I got a front row view though. Seen a lot of crazy stuff on the water, but that one sticks out for some reason.

I once saw someone get their thumb mangled wakesurfing. Had the rope bunched up and fell, de-gloved his thumb. I have pictures, but I'm not sure anyone really needs to see that. If this turns into a slam/gore thread I'll post it.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-12-2020, 6:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
I saw an airplane fly underneath a 50-75 foot bridge (guessing height). The Shreveport Barksdale bridge over the red river. I was just sitting in the boat waiting for my buddy to back to trailer down and then out of nowhere the small plane is flying about 10 feet off the water and goes right under the bridge. Its actually two bridges for both directions of traffic. What's even crazier is that the air force base is less than 2 miles away. I'm pretty sure its illegal to do that. I got a front row view though. Seen a lot of crazy stuff on the water, but that one sticks out for some reason.

I once saw someone get their thumb mangled wakesurfing. Had the rope bunched up and fell, de-gloved his thumb. I have pictures, but I'm not sure anyone really needs to see that. If this turns into a slam/gore thread I'll post it.
Speaking of planes, this guy buzzed my dock last week. It was pretty cool to watch a plane go by only a hundred feet away.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-12-2020, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
A fishing boat ran out of fuel near my dock where I had a bunch of friends hanging out. I gave him a 5 gallon can of gas and he proceed to fill the boat while smoking a cigarette. When he was done he gave us the can back, thanked us, then flicked his butt into the water without a thought. Nothing happened but we did make him clean up his trash. What are people thinking...
Crazy!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-14-2020, 2:17 PM Reply   
Back when I was in college (Kansas State University) we used to ride on Tuttle Creek Lake. This would have been in like 2004 or 2005 in the late fall... so we launch the boat and as we’re coming back in to pick up the guy who parked the truck, we see something under the water, about 3ft deep or so off the end of the boat ramp. Upon closer inspection it appeared to be a license plate. It was at just the right angle cause the trunk of the car was open. So we call the cops and they call out a tow rig. We waited around to watch them pull the car up. We were curious if there might be bodies in there, not that we were wanting to see that, but curiosities were running high at that point.

So they pull the car up (no people inside thankfully) run the plates, and tell us the car had been reported stolen that April. So the car had been at the end of the boat ramp at the bottom of the lake all summer and we had probably driven over it 50 times, but never saw it until the water was down.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-15-2020, 1:29 AM Reply   
Ah Tuttle Creek. I have seen thing or two out there when I was in school. Came in to the marina one time and saw a boat with its nose really low to the water and beer cans floating everywhere. We picked them up and then noticed the tow truck pulling the truck and trailer out of the water. Another was when we were practicing for the ski team back by the slalom course, a boat got too close to shore and buried itself in the mud. It was like slow motion watching it come to a stop. We all had to go help pull them out.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-15-2020, 4:46 AM Reply   
Crazy things.... I have a couple:

The worst that comes to mind was a pontoon boat that almost killed one of my best friends.
(this was not a jet ski, it was not a kayak, not a bass boat, not a 4-Winns towing a tuber looking backwards --- but a normal pontoon boat just, pontoon boating)
He crossed behind me close aboard, and crossed over my rider's 65-ft line (so not a particularly long line) while going 22mph. He came between me and my rider in the middle of his set. He just straight up drove between me and the rider, who had the mental fitness to let go when he saw it happening. And then we all stopped. I won't lie - this actually made one of us, then both of us, cry. It was as close to death as either of us have ever been. The guy was contrite and apologetic in response to my hysterical screaming.

Next is in the "broads" of a large lake where the waves reach up to 2-3 feet and maybe even more. I was in a weighted SAN 210 and it was full full full so she was handling like a Galapagos turtle. I didn't take anything big over the bow but during a point-A- to point-B run across this area every single wave came right to the rubrail. 600lbs in a belly tank, 600-700lbs in back, 200 up front and 5 people on board. I was terrified, absolutely terrified in a Super Sport 210.

Last is just seeing a destroyed Scarab that had hit a rock and killed the driver and their passenger. They did this the night before and divers were searching for the bodies the next day, and they found both. This happened RIGHT in our main riding spot, our main lane. Just a bow protruding from the water, just 4-5ft of a white Scarab sticking out.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 10-15-2020 at 4:51 AM.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-15-2020, 6:10 AM Reply   
I saw the turning prop of a Baja go by my boat less than 4 ft. away. Pretty sure I was a split second from death. I was on the river with a few friends, putzing not on plane. I was outside the main channel that is marked with buoys (that mark wing dams). As we were coming up to a wing dam and buoy, I decided to turn to head into a marina off the main channel. Normally I always look before turning, but since I was outside of the main channel and going 3 mph, I just turned without looking. Apparently there was an idiot driving a Baja who's plan was to fly by me on my starboard side and then cut to the left once he got past me to avoid going over the wing dam. When I turned he was now bearing straight down on me. He turned his wheel quick, and I looked just in time to see his boat sliding through the water sideways a little, and I clearly see his prop going right by me and my boat followed by a giant spray of water. I just sat there dumbfounded looking at him. He ended up going over the wing dam as he was trying to stop. Unfortunately the water level was high enough at the time that he didn't rip his lower unit off. He looked back for a second and then took off quickly. I was too stunned to even say anything to him.

I didn't see this one, but a guy I used to work with was always out on his deck boat getting drunk. One night he ran over another boat and killed a guy. He claimed the other boat didn't have their anchor light on. I know he was drunk, and if it's too dark to see another boat, light or not, you're obviously driving too fast. He got off on the charges and I don't think he really even had any remorse for it and claims it's that guy's fault. When they towed the 2 boats in to get the guy off, the anchor light was on. I'm pretty sure when there's a guy dying on your boat, you don't think "oh no we didn't have our anchor light on, we better turn it on quick."
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-15-2020, 6:34 AM Reply   
Did you use to work on Shark Tank?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-17-2020, 6:17 AM Reply   
Saw someone trying to ski behind an airplane on my lake a long time ago.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-17-2020, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Saw someone trying to ski behind an airplane on my lake a long time ago.
I never knew the Wright Brothers allowed that behind one of their airplanes...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-18-2020, 2:17 AM Reply   
When I was 18 we were wakeboarding in our favorite cove. You actually had to go through a no wake zone to get to it so it was never crowded and always had great water. There’s this kid probably 12 driving alone in a 3-seater jet boat. I didn’t really think anything of it. It wasn’t uncommon to see younger kids out occasionally by themselves out there, especially in that cove that was so protected from lake traffic. At one point I see him on the shore waving to us and I see his jet boat about 10 feet onto the shore. We went to check on him. He took the boat out without his grandparents’ permission and was in big trouble. He asked us to help him drag the boat back into the water. It was way too heavy so we didn’t even give it a good try. We made sure he wasn’t injured and took him back to the marina to his grandparents’ houseboat and dropped him off on the dock. I will never forget that look of dread on his face when we dropped him off.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2020, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Crazy!
Hard to tell, but looks like an Icon A5, same aircraft Roy Halladay, former Phillies pitcher died in...
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2020, 12:20 PM Reply   
I saw a cop boat accidently clip another boat at speed earlier this year on Lake Austin.

We were on my friend's boat by the Lake Austin Marina where they had just enacted a new no wake zone area. There was a yellow and black Malibu that accelerated to plane heading North from the dam opposite the side of the marina. They weren't blasting down the lake, but were probably doing ~25 mph, so 100% making a wake. We then became very aware of a cop boat near us by the marina, as they fired up their light and sirens. They hammered down across the lake, got behind the Malibu and clipped the back of it as they veered port to avoid beaching their boat in the back of the Malibu. The Malibu had started to slow down, the cop boat didn't so it was a very near miss.

At that point the two boats sort of coasted to a stop while going in different directions. The cop boat coasted over pretty close to us. There were three cops on that boat. One of them must have be a trainee (the driver) with 0 time on a boat. He was understandably terrified with the dear-in-headlights look. The two more seasoned looking guys had the "oh poo" look on their face. Meanwhile the guy driving the Malibu was standing up in his boat yelling WTF to the cops.

I'm super glad it ended this way because if the cops had not veered when they did their boat would have literally been in the middle of the Malibu. Also, we think the Malibu was on its way to pick up its crew because we saw them surfing later that evening. Had the boat been full and someone in the back port corner, they could might have been hit by the cops.

The cops eventually putted over to the guy to tell him about the new no wake zone and to say sorry. That was pretty entertaining as well.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-20-2020, 2:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Hard to tell, but looks like an Icon A5, same aircraft Roy Halladay, former Phillies pitcher died in...
agree. for some reason, those kill quite a few folks.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-26-2020, 12:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
agree. for some reason, those kill quite a few folks.
Not to be an aviation snob but there are a lot of planes that resemble the Icon A5. From the ground you'd be hard-pressed to determine something is an A5 vs some other pusher-propeller seaplane. Planes with a fuselage/hull molded as one piece with stabilizer pontoons on the wingtips, aka pusher configuration - are designs that are are very common. You see this from the Lake Buccaneer to various European and Spanish designs. Icon A5 is simply using a tried & tested configuration and putting it in a non-military, fancy pants version for commercial/enthusiast use. Many of them even have ballistic parachute systems on top of everything.

They've gotten some bad press lately because people made bad decisions as pilots and it is very tragic. I read most if not all of the NTSB aircraft accident reports for light aircraft and the one thing that sticks out to me is that the Icon A5 is like a wealthy person saying "I like fast cars, I am going to buy a Huracan", receiving training sufficient to pass utility exams, and then promptly driving it off the freeway. They are very good and capable aircraft.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-26-2020, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
Not to be an aviation snob but there are a lot of planes that resemble the Icon A5. From the ground you'd be hard-pressed to determine something is an A5 vs some other pusher-propeller seaplane. Planes with a fuselage/hull molded as one piece with stabilizer pontoons on the wingtips, aka pusher configuration - are designs that are are very common. You see this from the Lake Buccaneer to various European and Spanish designs. Icon A5 is simply using a tried & tested configuration and putting it in a non-military, fancy pants version for commercial/enthusiast use. Many of them even have ballistic parachute systems on top of everything.

They've gotten some bad press lately because people made bad decisions as pilots and it is very tragic. I read most if not all of the NTSB aircraft accident reports for light aircraft and the one thing that sticks out to me is that the Icon A5 is like a wealthy person saying "I like fast cars, I am going to buy a Huracan", receiving training sufficient to pass utility exams, and then promptly driving it off the freeway. They are very good and capable aircraft.
yep, as soon as I posted this, I thought " i don't even know how many have crashed." so easy to read and subsequently spread bad information these days with all the media outlets.

after listening to a podcast with their one of their sales guys, only a couple have crashed with 1 fatality? (autopsy was interesting)
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-06-2020, 12:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
yep, as soon as I posted this, I thought " i don't even know how many have crashed." so easy to read and subsequently spread bad information these days with all the media outlets.

after listening to a podcast with their one of their sales guys, only a couple have crashed with 1 fatality? (autopsy was interesting)
Kudos to you to acknowledge this. Most people wouldn't so quickly admit to not knowing.

I feel like I know my aircraft and what I've read is that the Icon A5 is not some goofy death trap that is prone to accidents. On the contrary it's coming out as a highly reliable, powerful recreation light aircraft. Icon makes a point of putting safety first and reminding you that you need to watch your balance, watch your takeoff weight and more. But if you get in to trouble in flight, the ballistic parachute system is there to save your coconuts. They offer training and I believe even REQUIRE training to buy a new one. I am working on my Private Pilots License in real aircraft but have flown the Icon in simulated accidents too. I'm mostly a simulator person, not a true pilot yet.

Right after accidents, people release failure profiles that let you experience simulated accidents as they happened, and experience them in a simulator (like a double engine failure at 2800ft like Sully Sullenberger did). I've used these profiles and I've yet to crash in an A5. I've flown some of the 2-3 crashes and I still can't wrap my mind around them. Hindsight is 2020 but one pilot flew their ballistic-parachute-equipped A5 into trees near a lake in an easily survivable accident. Mr. Halladay (pro golfer) who crashed into the Gulf of Mexico sadly but clearly committed suicide. It's tragic and it is saddening but it's not the plane, it's the usage of it.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2020, 2:18 AM Reply   
The pilot is a neighbor of mine whom I haven’t met yet and I’m not sure which house he lives in. I understand he’s a pilot for Delta. I’m sure I can track him down through other neighbors and confirm the make/model. Might take a little time though. The guy semi-regularly lands and takes off from the river.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-06-2020, 3:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
Kudos to you to acknowledge this. Most people wouldn't so quickly admit to not knowing.

I feel like I know my aircraft and what I've read is that the Icon A5 is not some goofy death trap that is prone to accidents. On the contrary it's coming out as a highly reliable, powerful recreation light aircraft. Icon makes a point of putting safety first and reminding you that you need to watch your balance, watch your takeoff weight and more. But if you get in to trouble in flight, the ballistic parachute system is there to save your coconuts. They offer training and I believe even REQUIRE training to buy a new one. I am working on my Private Pilots License in real aircraft but have flown the Icon in simulated accidents too. I'm mostly a simulator person, not a true pilot yet.

Right after accidents, people release failure profiles that let you experience simulated accidents as they happened, and experience them in a simulator (like a double engine failure at 2800ft like Sully Sullenberger did). I've used these profiles and I've yet to crash in an A5. I've flown some of the 2-3 crashes and I still can't wrap my mind around them. Hindsight is 2020 but one pilot flew their ballistic-parachute-equipped A5 into trees near a lake in an easily survivable accident. Mr. Halladay (pro golfer) who crashed into the Gulf of Mexico sadly but clearly committed suicide. It's tragic and it is saddening but it's not the plane, it's the usage of it.
which sim? I was using FSX a few years ago, but I think a newer version is out now. Would like to fly Sully's and others!

I've been bit the bug again after taking a few years off of training. should be going up tomorrow afternoon to see what I remember and where we need to pick back up. Lot's of good habits can be built in a sim, I plan get FSX reloaded on my laptop and start tinkering with it again.
Old     (ProvoMB52)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-06-2020, 4:08 AM Reply   
As previously noted by juniorhawk, the aircraft in the picture is indeed a Lake Buccaneer. Good airplane, with a good reputation. As for the discussion concerning the Icon A5, it too is a good aircraft. As for the comments concerning Ray Hallady (Professional Baseball player, rather than a professional golfer), and the comment he had committed suicide, that is factually not what the M.E., nor the NTSB found as the result of the accident in which he was killed. His death was caused through disregard for the immutable laws of physics; start an acrobatic maneuver at too low an altitude, and the good old earth will reach up and grab you.
Old     (nick213)      Join Date: Jul 2013       11-06-2020, 1:13 PM Reply   
It’s a bird, it’s a plane..... what where ahh it’s just my neighbor John down the street.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-21-2020, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
which sim? I was using FSX a few years ago, but I think a newer version is out now. Would like to fly Sully's and others!

I've been bit the bug again after taking a few years off of training. should be going up tomorrow afternoon to see what I remember and where we need to pick back up. Lot's of good habits can be built in a sim, I plan get FSX reloaded on my laptop and start tinkering with it again.
The new Flight Simulator 2020 allows for recreations of events but I really rely on X-Plane. That's a frighteningly accurate simulator that lets you recreate disasters in a very specific way. You can simulate bad problems, such as dual engine failures due to bird strike at 2800 feet over NYC in an Airbus. That should sound familiar. You can really see how the crew approached the casualty and see what YOU would do. Better sim pilots have managed come back to La Guardia in that situation and land but I haven't. I always have done what Sullenberger did - splash it in the Hudson and pray that you get support from ferries and watercraft in the area without harming a single person on board.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2021, 12:10 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attac...1&d=1612733094
Attached Images