Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       05-08-2015, 3:54 PM Reply   
LOL, thats awesome and ridiculous at the same time!

Good custom Fabrication man. Looks fantastic!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2015, 4:49 PM Reply   
Grant, I am also in the market for a GEM. Ideally, slightly used to save some cash. Stock is fine with maybe some better wheels and a few upgrades. Grant, would you be able to recommend a place for me to look?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2015, 5:47 PM Reply   
Dane I tried to PM you. Drop me a line at grantwest@gmail.com
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       05-10-2015, 6:13 PM Reply   
Awesome!!!!!!
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-11-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Sweeeet….Very impressive.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
Getting close The seats will be going to the upholstery shop this week.
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Beautiful!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2015, 11:02 AM Reply   
Ok I could use some guidance or opinions. I'm ready to get the seats redone. And I'm some what on the fence. The easy choice was to go all black Vinyl with blue stitching. (The reason I was thinking this was) "be safe don't over do it with inserts or more blue on the interior" But now I'm thinking Black with Matching blue inserts? Blue stitching?

Here is a pic of the seat I'm gonna re cover I was thinking it would be black where the seat is black and Matching blue where the seat is grey? The rear seat/bench would have the same pattern, your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
Here is a example of the black and blue I was thinking
Attached Images

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-18-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
i like just black with blue stitching ... getting a little blue heavy on the inserts blue too.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
I feel ya on the all black. My brother had suggested all TAN! I wish I had photoshop skills. It would be cool to see all the possible different options b4 you commited to one design
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-19-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
I'd say black with tan inserts to match up the floor. I think you've got the right amount of blue already. I've got no photo-shop skills, so can't help you there.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2015, 7:30 AM Reply   
^^ Black and Tan would look sharp.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
I know this is the wrong color, but it gives you a idea of what the tan interior could look like.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
And as a joke my brother did this version.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2015, 8:41 AM Reply   
Maybe someone with some real Photoshop skills could hook me up with a tan version of the Red seats that matched the tan floor
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-19-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
It's not great, but gives a pretty close idea of a couple options.

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2015, 10:58 AM Reply   
Tom thank you could you do a black and blue version (black seats with blue) inserts
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-19-2015, 12:25 PM Reply   
This is about as good as my hack skills get:

Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-19-2015, 12:36 PM Reply   
Grant, you mentioned vinyl as your material choice... While I'm sure this is for a water resistant quality being open environment that will be awful hot to sit on if it has been in the sun for any time. Anyone with shorts, bikinis, etc. will have some burnt legs sitting down. Just a thought...

I personally like the blue inserts, but agree it might be a bit much. Black with blue stitching would look good from an accent point of view or maybe even blue piping if you wanted more blue than just stitching. The tan IMO just doesn't work well with the blue. Yes it goes with the flooring, but just looks off to my eye on the seats. If the GEM were red then tan seats would look the part.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
Jason I hear ya on the Hot factor. But how we use the cart i doubt it will be much of a issue. Example. The car sits in the garage most of the time. It comes out for a ride and then go's back in the garage. If we drive it down to the lake it will sit outside all day in the sun & Yes the seats will get HOT ( this is our built in security system) anyone that try's to jump in will be burnt to death LOL But on a serious note. Yes it will sit outside and get hot, But we usually return after the sun go's down so its not like you will be jumping into a hot car and if you happen to I will keep a towel in the trunk to throw over the seats if its to hot. Getting in with a wet suit on again not very likely but thats what a towel is for, Im gonna use marine grade vinyl so if it gets wet no big deal. Right now Im leaning towards Black with Blue inserts. I found a Blue that's almost a dead on match.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-19-2015, 2:47 PM Reply   
I think the inserts are a bit much - some highlights/stitching would be awesome. I think you need some nice stitched "Gs" on the headrests! What's the plan for the steering wheel? And when does the sound system start
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2015, 3:54 PM Reply   
Well that's either two or three no's on the inserts. I was already planning on doing the black stitching so what about blue piping. It wouldn't be as in your face as the blue inserts but it would add some color to the seats. The stitching is a nice touch when you're up close but if you're further than 5 feet away you can't even tell.
As far as the steering wheel I think I've been through about three wheels so far and settled on something simple and safe. Black with blue stitching. Here is a picture of the wheel.
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-19-2015, 8:57 PM Reply   
Black seats with blue piping gets my vote. Looks insane man. Awesome fabrication as always. I bet that thing is a blast!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-20-2015, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Black seats with blue piping gets my vote. Looks insane man. Awesome fabrication as always. I bet that thing is a blast!
+1!!!
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-20-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
After playing with some colors on that mock-up, I think the black with blue piping or blue double stitching would look pretty sweet.. That leatherseats.com site has a tool where you can play around with the different color options (inserts, piping, stitching, etc.).
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
OK I'm convinced, Tom and others you were right after I went to LeatherSeats.com' seat builder tool I was able to see the difference between what a black leather seat with blue inserts looked like compared to one with Just blue stitching. I agree less is more in this case. The Gallery also helped me decide. The cars with the inserts looked a bit much compared to the ones with just blue stitching. I will make the changes and move forward.

As far as a sound system, I wanna try something different. I had originally thought a small system would be cool but a few months back some guys on a golf cart with a system blasting on it driving back in forth all day long convinced me that it was a BAD IDEA. It was a Gas Powered lifted cart with subs and even wake board tower speakers facing backwards. OMG it was the most obnoxious thing, I guess its one thing to blast music on the water in a cove but to drive back and forth threw the hood blasting put things in perspective.

I will show you the system later today.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-20-2015, 11:54 AM Reply   
black with blue piping for sure ... that was going to be my initial suggesting but decided not to type it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
Look what just showed up!
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
I have to say right off the bat Im pretty impressed with the look and feel (Solid) of this sound bar. The power cable is Bad A$$. It's as thick as a 12 Gauge extension cord. I hooked it up to my bench just to power it up and this thing is way loud and clear. My power supply is for light electronics and only has a 3 amp Max output. The sound bar was pulling 1.54 Amps during bass draw. I have to believe this thing when hooked up to a real power source will pull way more then that but for a quick test im impressed.
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-21-2015, 9:29 AM Reply   
You're gonna love that. I put a Stealth 10 on my golf cart too. Thing is ridiculously loud and clear. Needs more bump, but I've been real happy so far. Wonder if the Steath Sub is the solution?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Looking awesome! There's no question that black with blue piping is the right call on the seats. A guy in my men's club (golf) had one of those Stealth 10's on his cart. He wound up swapping it out because it didn't have enough bass reproduction. I did a system in a Gem car some years back. We installed (4) 6.5 and a 10" sub along with two stand alone batteries and a separate charging system for them. It was decently loud but not overly so.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
Installed the Stealth
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
Big A$$ power/ground wire
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
Here is where it comes out.
Attached Images

Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2015, 9:47 AM Reply   
Boom!
Looks awesome!
I still don't care for the wheels........
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2015, 1:25 PM Reply   
Super nice, man.

What about some ultra suede for the interior? Probably feel awesome when you're cruising shirtless. I think tan inserts would be cool with the floor, or just black with blue stitching.

Seriously amazing project. You need to start building custom cars.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-31-2015, 8:44 PM Reply   
The Seats are going to be vinyl exteriors and Ultra Suede inserts with blurs stitching all around (French seems). They are almost done I'll post some pics soon.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2015, 6:51 PM Reply   
I had Katzkin covers in my Ram 2500. They were black with tan inserts. Would look pretty killer here I think.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2015, 7:44 AM Reply   
Well I have decided I want to have a little bass in the GEM. This "experiment" / project will help me decide what I wanna do as far as a system in my Pontoon boat so I'm gonna kill 2 birds with 1 stone type of thing. I'm gonna run 2 of the wetsounds SS 6.5 inch (small subs) in the overhead rear section of the gem. I'll make a fiberglass enclosure that holds the subs and faces them forwards and some what down. I will use the Westsounds HT amp that will push 250 to each 6.5 so they should bounce pretty good LOL. The area I'm gonna make and mount the box is in the pic.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2015, 5:06 PM Reply   
Here is a concept of the Sub Box im gonna build for the GEM. These 6.5's weight 20lbs EACH
Attached Images

Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       06-02-2015, 6:14 PM Reply   
I like the 6.5"s in a box idea......but if that doesn't work, what about.........

The rear trunk.....you could build a box that sits inside or in place of the rear trunk and port it into the cab of the gem car...almost like you would a car...
the port would go thru the rear seats. Maybe 1-12" sub or a couple 10's.
You have 4-12w7s in a tiny wakeboard boat....whats a couple 6.5's in a gem car???
Boom!
Harold
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
Not surprised you wanted more bass lol!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2015, 1:00 PM Reply   
I tried to not add a sub to the cart BUT after hearing it the way it stands it (to me could really use a sub) the way we use the cart we don't go blasting music around the hood. In fact most of the time I just put my I phone on the dash and play the IPhone or I bring my JBL pulse, and it works great. The cart is so quiet you don't need a lot of volume to get the job done. After installing the stealth bar I was happy with how loud it gets & it's mounted so close to your ears you don't even have to have it turned up. With that said I love good sounding music and it seems like a fun project and like I said I can call it a "experiment" for future projects. I'm fully aware of what a Huge sub sounds like with lots of power, just haven't done a small efficient system yet.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2015, 1:18 PM Reply   
I knew when you got that thing you couldn't stick with the Pulse but you're right electric carts are quiet. Mine has a pretty efficient little system on it. Two 8's, two 6.5's and two 5.25's. When driving around I barely have to turn it up but when I get to our beach we like to rock it a little
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hate let's see some pics of your system.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2015, 12:38 PM Reply   
My Westsounds HT-1 Came in Installing now. These are my aluminum amp mounts behind the rear seat.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2015, 12:42 PM Reply   
This little amp is pretty cool. It's a nice small foot print and has pass threw Rca's as well as a remote bass boost.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2015, 9:03 PM Reply   
I made some progress today, despite it being 103 outside. It was nice to have AC in my garage it saved me!!

The wetsounds ST-65's came in these are some meaty little subs
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2015, 9:06 PM Reply   
I got the amp and all the power distribution in.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2015, 9:14 PM Reply   
I decided I'm gonna power the Lightbar, Stealth Soundbar & the Sub Amp from a independent battery located in the trunk. Mike came up with the idea after we were talking about how much power the 72 to 12 converter could effectively do. I was getting close to its max amp draw. And if you blow one up they are like $300-$500 and your stuck.

#2 reason was I don't want my accessories diminishing my distance. Example I don't want to be saying turn it down we might not make it home because we had the lights on to long or was pushing to much bass ext. This way I can experiment with how much play time you can get out of 1 group 31 and I can always add a 2nd battery if it's a issue.

I powerd everything up and tried out the led DEATH RAY.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2015, 9:15 PM Reply   
I installed a old school stomper switch to turn the Death Ray on and off
Attached Images

Old     (JEasy37)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-13-2015, 9:23 PM Reply   
looks sick man can't wait to see the finished product
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2015, 7:08 PM Reply   
So there's going to be a extra battery in the trunk along with a small battery charger. This is a picture of the disconnects on the car so that you can still remove the trunk

The blue one is the 12 V disconnect and the Orange one is the 110 disconnect for the battery charger

Last edited by grant_west; 06-14-2015 at 7:14 PM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2015, 7:09 PM Reply   
You can't see either one of these when you put the trunk back on
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
I got the front seats back today
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone that helped me decide less is more on this one
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2015, 2:17 PM Reply   
I think he did a great job all the French seems are nice and straight.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2015, 1:36 PM Reply   
I got the rear seat back today and I wanted to show you guys some pictures of the interior before and after. The stock rear seat is somewhat Stark and looks like a flat piece of covered foam. Patrick decided to add some cleats to the rear seat and give it some shape . Here is the stock seat
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2015, 1:38 PM Reply   
In order to give the seats some shape and roll there needs to be a way of tying down or adhering and manipulating the shape. His way of doing it was to add cords to the pleats and tie them back here is a picture of the inside of the back seat. The strings that are attached to them are what goes through the seat and gives it the shape
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
It's hard to see from this picture but the bottom to bolsters on the back of the seat have more bold to support your lumbar then between your shoulders
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2015, 1:40 PM Reply   
Same goes for the base of the seat
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-23-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
G, I did a thread on it here some years ago, I'll try to find it. I will say that exactly where we out the amo but we were able to install the two extra stereo batteries in the open space under the front seats. It's my buddy's cart and he had a lift so it was pretty easy to do, without one it would be impossible.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-23-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
Damn fat fingers. *That's exactly where we put the amp.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-23-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hate: it looks like the best place to mount the Subs is going to be the space under the driver and passenger seats. The boxes are going to be pretty small but "What can you do" I don't wanna mount a thing more in the trunk so I'm just going to have to live with the small air volume for the sub boxes.

I'm understanding you correctly that when u mounted the batterys under the drivers and passengers seat that the batterys hung down a bit.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-24-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
G,
Need another project?
http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/a...91QSCI15511014
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
Sorry I already have enough on my plate But that's a good deal for someone looking to get started. Well let me back up. I bought a 2008 GEM for around 8 grand It's in Awesome shape all the bells and whistles. I bought it as something to Drive while I'm working on my GEM. Knowing what I know now and If I was to do it all over again I think I would just pony up the Cash and buy the newest cleanest one I could find leave it stock & Rock it. I have built (from everything I have seen) one of the nicest Gem cars ever. ( I think I just broke my arm patting my self on the back) Now I have quite a liability I'm gonna be afraid to leave it untended, And that what its original job. O well
Its nice to have nice things but it sucks to have to worry about them
Old    bigdtx            06-24-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
First world problems bro...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
Well the car is getting closer but my "To Do" list gets longer and longer. Biggie was right "more money more problems"
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
As close as I thought I was I still have a bunch of loose ends to tie up to make the car 100%
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-25-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
Anyone have any Experience with Dash cam style car DVR's I have seen a few 12v Auto DVR's that can be used as a dash cam/security system
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCMDVR15...+recorders+12v
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
Well it's getting pretty close to calling it done. I still have to make the sub boxes for under the seats, but that's pretty much it
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
I had to abandon the Air Shock system because under party mode with 4 people in the car and Max air pressure 150 psi the car was rubbing. So I went back to stock shocks and it stiffens it up as well as raised it a few inches
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2015, 12:25 PM Reply   
Here is a shot of the 12v battery/ power supply for my Stereo and Lights. I have a "Battery Tender" strapped to this battery that's tied into the GEMs 110v ststem
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
I gotta say this light bar is no joke.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Here is a short video of the light at in Action

http://youtu.be/pq7CLfUyMr8
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-06-2015, 7:24 PM Reply   
That is a wicked cool project!!! Good job!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-08-2015, 4:42 PM Reply   
Hey just wanted to update: The car is running awesome and is SUPER fun. If your thinking about building one Go for IT they are awesome. I got the System going and it sounds great. Im working on the ride height right now.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-08-2015, 4:45 PM Reply   
My Air shock mod was a complete failure; The ride was amazing but the car is not ment to have that much travel and when you would load it up with 4 people and go full Mario Cart i was getting rubbing issues
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-14-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of the "mini sub boxes" that fit under the back seat of the GEM. Of corse the air space is not correct but this was more of a "test"
I wanted to hear what one of these subs sounded like in a super small box. So I built one box. I hooked it up and was happy with how it sounded it has plenty of bass. So I built a 2nd one and now she is bump' no have a sub control under the dash to adjust the boom. I will rhino line these later.
Attached Images