Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-12-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
I have long been under the impression that the retail diamond market is so closely controlled that it did not really matter where you bought from. It appeared to me that weight and class determined price to a tolerance close enough to negate the need to shop around. At least it was that way 17 years ago the last time I bough a diamond.
So now I am looking for a simple pair of earnings for a date soon coming and need your advise. I would like to get a pair of simple classic studs for the wife maybe 1- 1.5ct. of upper middle grade. Not perfect, but not cheep crap but good color and pop. I figure I'm on the hook for $1,200 to 2,000. The difference is allot of boat gas.
So do I go to my local goldsmith who has hooked me up for years? Costco? Cant do the net without a support group, sorry, Major department store? Zales? The jewelry store that advertises all day on the channel I listen too?
I dont walk in and spend one or two thousand dollars on jewelry every day so can somebody offer a few tips? Like maybe where do I draw the walk line on color and clarity ratings?
Summary> At what point does rating exceed value?
Thanks
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-12-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
Costco has only top quality diamonds and good prices. You could make a trip to competitor to see if they will beat Costco. My guess is that they will/can beat Costco by lowering the quality.

She would not want to lose any of these...
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-12-2014, 8:21 PM Reply   
Note, when I am buying expensive stuff like this, I will think about buying them in Oregon when I am travelling through to avoid the sales tax. Something to consider.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-13-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
retail diamonds are a scam. it's all about who you know. i'd try the guy who has been hooking you up and compare against Costco. see what Costco has far as color, clarity etc and ask him what he can do on a similar quality. he should be able to help guide you to the best deal, too. earrings don't really need to be the same grade as a ring.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-13-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
I know with my wife the box matters and if she opened a piece of jewelery from Costco, BJ's etc I would be screwed. Now I know you pay extra for the same thing but she does not care. Every women loves a little blue bag from Tiffany's. Maybe that is just my snobby wife who knows.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
^^^^ whitewater ^^^^^I think I speak for every man when I say I'm truly sorry that you have one of those!

If I gave my wife a set of $2000 diamond earrings and if somehow she was put off that you didn't pay a EXTRA premium they weren't purchased from a store like Tiffany's then I think my next trip would be to my lawyers office to file for a divorce LOL

sorry but I can't stand materialistic women that stress over things like where your diamonds were purchased at. In my opinion it makes absolutely no difference! Off these women just want a name brand so that they can brag or shove it in their friends face like somehow they are better than them?
"How very Kardashian"
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-13-2014, 10:07 AM Reply   
Whoaaa Settle down Beavis! A little harsh to attack my wife - whom you have never met becasue she prefers premium brands - her opinion, which differs from your opinion as you stated in your little rant. I agree that she is high maintenance because of it but holy crap.

Last edited by whiteflashwatersports1; 06-13-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
Sorry White
Your right That came off harsh I apologize my rant was not directed at your wife. You right I don't know your wife and I was not trying to judge her my apologizes.

My rant was directed at the whole Diamond buying process that most men are brainwashed into. Most would agree it is some what of a scam. The whole Idea That if you don't come home with a Tiffiny's box is not something that unique it's a marketing technique that is set up as if some how if you don't supply a big fat diamond ring your some how you not as in love or in the dog house.

Sorry If I side tracked the original thread.
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
stay away from the zales(mall rent isnt cheap, and customers have to pay for it), if you have a diamond district around you try there, or your normal guy, they will usually have the best prices. The quality of the diamond depends, does she have alot of other diamonds, and what quality are they? make sure you get a good cut first, that is what makes a diamond pop(light relections though the diamond), then look at colour then clarity(no one is going to be that close to her ear to see imperfections.)

As for the fancy box, ditch it, get creative instead, like a small vase with sand and flowers in it, then tie the earrings around the flowers (or somthing like that). Or write a love note and stick them through the paper of the note. I dont care what kind of girl you have, all girls appriciate a creative thought more than a box. and you get to save some money!!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2014, 4:28 AM Reply   
I stopped into a big retail chain called Dunkins Diamonds yesterday and they sicked the closer on me. Man that guy was tough, he should sell cars.
The earrings were gorgeous and he knocked 400 bucks off of 2900 without batting an eye. Hard to walk out the door.
But following the advise I asked for I am going to see my local goldsmith and give him a shot at it. This guy has made custom settings for me on Christmas Eve, custom one of a kind pieces for every child birth and I owe him at least this.
Thanks guys Ill let you know how it pans out.
John
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-14-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
I'm no diamond expert but I'll give you my two cents. I searched all over and Costco could not be beat. Especially when you start looking at quality diamonds. From what I've seen local jewelers just can't touch them. And I had a similar situation as you. I really wanted to support my local guy who I'd worked with in the past but for the same price as the Costco product he couldn't come close in quality.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-15-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
My gal welcomes Costco jewelry knowing that it is the best value (meaning she got better/more for the same price) and trivial to return. She would think less of me if I brought home another box. Guess I got lucky.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
Buying your wife diamonds is like giving a vampire there first taste of human blood = Dangerous.

Only to be used in desperate situations.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-16-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
check out bluenile.com. you can search diamonds by cut, weight, clarity, etc. All diamonds have their serial numbers and certification. They have great info on diamonds and do a great job of teaching you about diamonds. No BS "our diamonds sparkle better because we have some BS exclusive cut or hand pick them." Just facts on the different ratings so you can choose the best diamond possible.

This is where I bought my wife's engagement ring. I didn't have much money at the time so I bought a ridiculously simple solitaire band with the best diamond I could buy. If it makes any difference, and maybe all jewelry appraises for more than purchased, but we had it appraised by Ben Bridge and it appraised for almost double what we paid.

I am not sure I would buy a full out(lack of better term) piece of jewelry but if the quality of diamond for the price is what you are looking for I would say you would be hard pressed to find better value.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-17-2014, 2:23 AM Reply   
Was also looking hard at bluenile for a loose stone for an engagement ring, but ended up buying from a shop in Honolulu - ultimately was a little skittish about buying sight unseen plus it was easier to coordinate the setting and everything all in one place.