Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Evil_Sushi)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-10-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
Hi everyone,

I just recently picked up wakeboarding again after a long hiatus.

I bought the 2011 Ronix One bindings to pair it up with an old 2003 Liquid Force Trip before shipment arrives with a Ronix board.
However when I tightened the stock screws down and started riding, I noticed the bindings would shift causing the angle of my feet to change. I can't use my previous old Byerly binding attachments as they don't fit, but they sure were very sturdy.

I returned to the shop where I purchased the bindings asking for the reason for this and if there was anything they could do to remedy it.

Their answer simply was "nothing" and it was either because it wasn't paired with a Ronix board or my board was old.

Is this a known issue with old boards paired with new bindings? and is there really nothing I can do while I wait for a new board?

I hope this isn't a new trend where bindings have to be matched with boards of the same brand
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-10-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
Chris,

While bindings continue to be largely interchangeable between board companies, one thing that has changed consistently over these last few years has been the sizing of the inserts. Until about 2007 bindings were typically an 8" plate which matched with an 8 inch insert pattern. More recently, the movement to reduce weight in the boards has brought bindings with a smaller plate, and therefore, a smaller insert pattern. The depth of the inserts has also changed because boards are getting stronger and made thinner to reduce the weight. Your 2003 is without a doubt thicker than the 2011 Ronix One that those boots were designed with, and while they would more than likely cross with just about any board from 2008/9- Present, there may be some issues with older boards. Often times, washers used to to be the remedy for spacing, but given Ronix's binding thumb screws, it may be difficult to use such a method.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-10-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
so it sounds like the screws are longer than the inserts, is that right? washers would definitely solve that problem and I would think that you could rig them up even with Ronix's thumb screws. The biggest issue in recent years was mentioned above about the switching to an overall smaller mounting plate so sometimes the stance options are limited. If you have the stance width that makes you happy, washers should solve your problems
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       02-10-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
That is what the problem sounds like is the screws are too long. Either cut them with a dremel or saw or use washers under the screw.
Old     (Evil_Sushi)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-10-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies, I'll try washers first otherwise it might be best just to wait for the new board otherwise I might ruin the bindings as well as my ankles
Old     (Evil_Sushi)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-13-2011, 3:54 AM Reply   
Thanks again for the suggestion. I tried washers and it held well.

One question though, I tried searching the forum but to no avail.

Do you guys do anything extra to dry closed toe bindings if you ride them? I noticed my bindings were still damp 2 days after riding and I feel after a while they will start to smell. I thought about using a hair dryer but that might distort the mold.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-13-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
If I'm not mistaken, most of the newer bindings won't mold. I never do anything extra to dry mine out (I have the 09 Cells), and I haven't noticed a mold issue. If they do, spray some Lysol in them.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-14-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
i do not do anything different with mine (2009 PB Floyds). i have noticed that they stay wet sometimes but have had no issues with mold or smell. i usually just make sure that nothing is sitting on them or that i dont stash them in a closet. the open air usually takes care of them