Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I was trying to get the tower and packs cleaned up from all of the bugs from towing but having some issues. What are any of you using to clean it up? I do not want to scratch up the tower to much, but some of them are smashed in pretty well.
Old     (rarasaurus)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
If you have a boat cover put it on and take it to a RV wash bay. Use the pressure washer to get them off. I have done this a couple times with great success. A bit of water does get in the boat but not that much and it is much faster and easier than trying to get them off and have them fall in the boat.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-08-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Try windshield washer fluid undiluted and a sponge/paper towels...if worried about bugs falling inside the boat leave the cover on while you do this. You can also put the washer fluid in a spray bottle if you want to. Works pretty well.
Old    sandvign            09-08-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
Not sure what tower you have, but my buddy has a powder coated tower on his MC and we've used soap and water to get the big stuff then used a softener sheet you put in the dryer to get the small stuff. Sounds weird I know but it works extremely well on his. Good luck...
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       09-08-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
This may sound funny, when trailering I wrap my tower with saran(plastic) wrap. Easy on and easy off, works like a charm, no need to scrub off bug guts.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-08-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I spray Pam cooking spray on a rag and wipe the tower with it and then wipe it down when i get there, they come right off in less than five minutes. Takes me an hour to get to the lake and the freaking bugs will cover it if i don't!
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Magic Erasure
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'll second the dryer sheet method. Make sure it's good and wet, and it will take them off easy. Works good on the truck bumpers as well.
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-08-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. In a spray bottle, doesnt hurt the finish. Probably 8 bucks for a bottle.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Although we don't have "big" bug problems here in Northern California, we do catch a ton of them on the way to the lake. What I have found that works pretty good is the "Wax as you Dry" spray on wax. I hit the tower with it before I go and the wax appears to keep them from really sticking. I also spray the wax on the bugs when I arrive, let it soak and then they come right off.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
^^^Dittto the magic eraser..
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
simple green works great.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Before you leave next time put serran (sp) wrap on the wind side of the speakers when you get where you are going take it off, BAM!!! clean speakers.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
I Second the pam or WD-40 method. JUST DON"T FORGET TO WIPE IT OFF AFTER YOU GET THERE. Went to go grab hold of the tower for a board and almost killed myself.

For the speakers........plastic wrap works good.
Otherwise check out www.Speakersox.com Great product and a great company with awesome customer service. Worth every penny if you ask me. I tow 200mi one way about every 2weeks at night with tons of bugs. When they get caked on either throw them in the machine of just take them off and dunk em in the lake for a short term solution. It easy to make your own covers if you have a sewing machine, but the Speaker Sox ones use a nice material that I couldn't find anywhere. Their fit is right on like a spandex type material that form fits to the speakers.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
For any distance over 20-30 minutes, I avoid the whole problem & trailer with the tower down. Better gas mileage by 1-2 MPG's (less wind resistance) & no bugs!
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-08-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
^^^Same here^^^ Tower down if it's over 20 minutes or so.