Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Hot off the press from the Wall Street Journal

Apple Inc. plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, said people briefed by Apple.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm Inc. is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.

An Apple CDMA iPhone would spell the end of the exclusive U.S. arrangement with Apple that AT&T has had since 2007, when the original iPhone debuted.

Separately, Apple is also developing a new iPhone model, said people briefed on the matter. One person familiar with the new iPhone plan said the fifth-generation iPhone will be a different form factor from those that are currently available. It was unclear how soon that version will be available to Verizon.

Spokeswomen for Apple and Qualcomm declined to comment; a spokesman for Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC, declined to comment.
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-06-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
I've been waiting for the iPhone to come to Verizon for a long time, but I'll probably wait a year or so to get one. The first run of anything electronic always seems to have a few bugs.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-07-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
I trade in my Iphone for the Droid X even after reading this article. My contract with AT&T expired yesterday and I went out and got the X. I couldn't be happier.

Apple has lost a lot of customers by making the exclusive deal with a sub par network.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-07-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
I would have done anything to get an iphone over the past few years. But I think it is too little too late. Android is on another level. And yes I own almost every other apple product and love them.
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-07-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
maybe this means we will be able to get androids on ATT soon..
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-07-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmo42 View Post
maybe this means we will be able to get androids on ATT soon..
you can today
Old    sperbet            10-07-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
yep, they lost me by waiting too long. Got a Droid and love it, won't be making a switch
Old     (bradmo42)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-07-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
you can today

yea i realized that literally 10 minutes after posting that haha
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
doubt it happens....thats me being pissed. I switched about a month ago cause i was sick of waiting....if verizon get the iphone im going to be kicking my self like you have no idea.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-07-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
I used to be jealous of every person I saw with an Iphone.... now when I see someone using one I think to myself..my Droid can do that..
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-07-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW View Post
I used to be jealous of every person I saw with an Iphone.... now when I see someone using one I think to myself..my Droid can do that..
+1 and more
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-29-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
+2 My Droid X can do more...
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-29-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
+3 I was on the fence about waiting for an iPhone making my first smart phone purchase about a month ago. After researching, I went Droid and never looking back. Still use the iPod for car/boat/etc. But an HTC Droid is my phone.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-30-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
I don't care.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-30-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Just got the Droid 2 Global. Never had an iPhone but came from a blackberry, the Droid is sick. Very happy with it.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-30-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Heres a question I have for Droid users. How does Droid manage music? For example, Apple has iTunes and the app/music store which is tightly integrated so making music purchases very fast and easy.

Does Droid have something similar?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-30-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
i just downloaded tunesync which basically sync's the itunes with your droid. it was a 4.99 app.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-30-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Here's where I went with the music question. I use the iPod a lot, mostly hooked up to the car stereo and boat when I'm in it. With the headphones when I'm running or working around the house. So, I was initially interested in integrating the iPod & iPhone/smartphone. However, after discussing with a few friends also into music, I decided to keep the phone & music (iPod) separate for two reasons. First battery life on most smart phones is not super long. I didn't want to run the phone down by just listening to music and be caught always worrying about when/where I can charge. Second, with music playing (car/boat) I didn't want to have to interrupt or juggle music just to answer the phone. So in the end, it made the most sense to have music on the iPod and phone/internet/e-mail on the smartphone.

After deciding this, and wanting to stay with Verizon and no longer wait, Droid was the easy choice. It has virtually everything that was initially interested in the iPhone for.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-30-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
The decision hasn't hurt Apple a bit. Their margins are so ridiculously high and their app store so successful that they are laughing all the way to the bank. The Verizon iPhone will be a hit. I'll be switching immediately because the idea of actually being able to make a phone call in my neighborhood is rather appealing.

There are some great droid-based phones out there, and some great Winmo7 phones out there too, but the winmo phones are a little too green and the droid phones unfortunately suffer from just a tad too much freedom (sadly this strength is also a weakness when it comes to business use - stupid motorola pushed out an update via verizon to their droid models and broke Exchange synching for TWO MONTHS before they finally got around to pushing a fix)...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-30-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
The Verizon service wont improve the experience a bit unless Apple makes the iPhone a better phone. It has worse reception and drops more calls than anything I have used in 10 years. Prior to getting an iPhone, I had not one complaint about AT&T. They far out performed the Verizon service which I had to cancel for poor performance.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-30-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Interesting - my phone works GREAT in:

D.C.
New York
Orange County
San Diego
Austin
peninsula/south bay

It is poor in:
much of LA County
San Francisco
east bay, north berkeley in particular

So it seems (at least in my case, with the iphone4 in particular) that the issues are service-based.

I know Berkeley fights att hard on new towers, so not so surprising here, but I had Verizon for 4 years in the same area and never dropped a call.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-30-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
I also miss being able to work from the lake up in Tilden - verizon works up there but att doesn't!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-30-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Yup. I realize my experience is different than most. At my home in the east bay, Verizon doesn't work.

I'm still using a 3GS, so I can;t speak for the 4 personally. My coworkers feel that the upgrade to the 4 didn't help them, but it all depends on where you are it seems.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-30-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
I was concerned about the 4 but my employee still had an old 3G so I upgraded and gave him my 3GS. The 4 definitely works better at my house - I can consistently make calls now whereas the 3GS could take 3-4 tries sometimes to go through. The neighborhood in general is still pretty poor though...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-30-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Is there a reason most people use itunes over a subscription based music service like rhapsody? I don't see how itunes is even remotely affordable if you are actually buying the music. 10 songs on itunes costs as much as unlimited music on Rhapsody. I haven't actually tried it but one of my friends who uses rhapsody says that even if you have to buy a song it is cheaper then itunes.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-30-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
The music issue is what has been holding me back from switching away from iPhone to some sort of Android phone. Also, the lack of Android selection from AT&T makes it tough too. On top of it all, I can see myself getting a digital tablet in the future and I'm guessing it would be Android based since the stupid iPad doesn't support Flash and I'm assuming it never will. If the Tunesync mentioned above will allow me to use ALL my iPhone music on an Android phone, that might push me over the top.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-30-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
i just put all my itunes music (purchased from itunes) on my droid today. It syncs via wireless with your computer so you don't even have to plug it in.

Last edited by wakereviews; 12-30-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-30-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Does that include the old 99-cent copy-protected songs that you have to burn to CD and then rip off in order to turn them into mp3 files?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-30-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
hmmm, i am not sure honestly. i only synced a few playlists with newer stuff.... i'm trying to sync the entire library now.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-30-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Wow I must just be lucky. My i phone 4 has been great since I got it in August. All my music is on it, have had not a single dropped call, great reception, zero backround noise for incoming callers, super fast internet and phenominal battery life. Couldn't be happier.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-30-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
I think that music on the Droid works beautifully. I have completely ditched my iPod in favor of my phone. There are various music services that you can use and they all work well. If you want to add a song on the fly it can be downloaded inside of 30 seconds.

David, you may not be able to pull over all of the older protected music without jumping through some hoops first. If I remember correctly I couldn't get my Collie Buds to pull over.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-30-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Ian, what program are you using? I have been using iSyncr to transfer my music from iTunes. Its real easy and you can select to transfer your whole library or just certain playlists. It also has an add-on for wireless transfer that you can even program to sync daily. They have editions for Mac
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-31-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
I use TuneSync, it was 4.99 and included the wireless and you can choose playlists, etc to transfer. Just keep your phone by your computer and it automatically syncs.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-31-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Just got the iPhone 4. Wow. 100x better then the 3GS. I'm starting to think the 3GS was a flawed piece of apple poop. Here's the trick. Sold my great condition 3GS on eBay for $298. New iPhone 4 was $200. It pays to upgrade.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-04-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
I always here horror stories about ATT and iphone, but I have never dropped a call or had a bad experience with ATT network or customer service. I love my iphone 4 it does everything I want and need and I never drop calls.