Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-13-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
Bought a DJI Mavic last year and looking to follow it up with a camera to shoot some video from the boat. I'm researching right now and found a few options but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has a little more experience.

1. Soloshot3 Optic65 https://shop.soloshot.com/
Been delayed for over a year now but expecting release in April. Great zoom and shoots 4K with automatic tracking. Little worried about the vibration if mounting to a tower. Also $900 is a little pricey but will spend the $ if its worth it. I like the set it and forget it of this so no one is stuck with filming all day.

2. DSLR
My late aunt was a photographer so there are a slough of Nikon lens/accessories at my parents house for usage. Was thinking a D5300 with one of the available lenses. Refurb body from B&H is $500. My question here is the mount for smooth video or can that be accomplished by hand?

3. DJI Osmo Plus
Staying in the DJI ecosystem would make the video cuts between drone and camera more seamless. Its a stabilized camera with 3.5x optical zoom and shoots in 4K. Question here is if 3.5x zoom from a boat will put a rider back 70' in the frame or look small. Price would be close to $800 with a few batteries and accessories.

Very open to any other options. Thanks for any input.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-13-2017, 10:24 AM Reply   
Osmo sounds like it will be a pretty good option for you, but even at 3.5x you might still wish you could get closer. If you do end up deciding to go the DSLR route, I'd look at options from companies like Panasonic or Sony that are light years ahead of companies like Canon and Nikon when it comes to video quality. Their cameras are actually DSLM's (mirrorless) and give you some pretty amazing video specs for the money. Take a look at the Panasonic LUMIX G7 with the 14-140 kit lens. Will zoom plenty far and give you 1080/60 and 4K/30, plus it can be had at a great price point used or refurbished. Hope this helps!f
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-14-2017, 5:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Osmo sounds like it will be a pretty good option for you, but even at 3.5x you might still wish you could get closer. If you do end up deciding to go the DSLR route, I'd look at options from companies like Panasonic or Sony that are light years ahead of companies like Canon and Nikon when it comes to video quality. Their cameras are actually DSLM's (mirrorless) and give you some pretty amazing video specs for the money. Take a look at the Panasonic LUMIX G7 with the 14-140 kit lens. Will zoom plenty far and give you 1080/60 and 4K/30, plus it can be had at a great price point used or refurbished. Hope this helps!f
Will defiantly give it a look. Thanks for the input.