Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
hey my family has a x 55 and it throws out a huge wake but i can't get it to be crisp on the very top on both sides there about 3-4 inches of curling I'm riding at 22.5 full ballast and no trim tab, maybe some one with a x-25 could tell me the secret to a good wake behind there boat since the similar hulls maybe- thanks for any advice

I've got 1000#'s in the front 500#'s in the back
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-24-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
Easy-speed up.you should be at the very least 24-25 mph in a boat that big
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-24-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
x2 miguel.

or lose some ballast

or use the trim tab to put the bow down a little bit, may clean it up
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
If it is not equally crusty on both sides, the boat is out of balance left/right -- move weight to the side with the crust -- get some led bags to move on the floor to balance the boat after distributing the passengers around.

If it is still crusty after balancing, add weight to the front OR take weight out of the back.
Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
what do you guys use your trim tab at all when your wakeboarding
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-24-2012, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
x2 miguel.

or lose some ballast

or use the trim tab to put the bow down a little bit, may clean it up
Unless you're really good, I'd avoid increasing the speed. Crashes hurt exponentially more the faster you're going, plus the extra speed gives novice and intermediate riders less time to react... It's quite unnecessary. You have several options to clean up the wake. If you're not already doing at least wake to wake jumps and preferably also some grabs and spins, I'd try many or all of these to also allow you to drop your speed and still get a clean wake preferably down near 19-20 until you are doing at least some tricks.

- use the trim tab or wake plate - somewhere between 20-50% may do the trick.
- drop ballast.
- shorten your rope. Try dragging your rope with no rider and shorten it so the handle is just barely inside the clean part of the wake. That's the right length for that boat at that speed with that amount of ballast.

If the wake is clean on one side but not the other, have people in the boat move where they are sitting to put more weight on the washed out side. I remember it as "step on the foam" i.e., put more weight on the foamy side.

That X-55 should clean up nicely.
Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-24-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
I'm doing back rolls 180's and scarecrows
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-24-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
I had an X-25 for a bit with about the same ballast setup, and rode at 24.4. The X-55 looks good at around 25. I had the attitude adjustment plate set at 100% at idle, and it automatically went to 0 once up to speed.

Best of luck! Enjoy it!
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-24-2012, 11:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhale View Post
I'm doing back rolls 180's and scarecrows
My bad. I that case you can go any speed you like.

I haven't been in the x-55 but have been on the 45 - almost as big. I'd really be surprised if you can't clean that wake up in the 22-23 mph range you were trying to ride. Try the trim. If that doesn't work I'd pull out some ballast starting in the rear. I would think the 55 doesn't need anywhere near 2,000 lbs above factory ballast like you're running to put out a huge wake. Try TeamTalk, the Mastercraft forum as I'm sure there are more 55 owners over their with direct experience.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-25-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhale View Post
what do you guys use your trim tab at all when your wakeboarding
I use mine to move the sweet spot/clean up the wake a little, I also use it when I am pulling new/young riders in which I am going slow and need to pull the front of the boat down so I am not plowing down the lake.