Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-04-2011, 12:48 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of the XS 65's for the bow of my boat, but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have just gone ahead and gone with the 650's...has anyone done a real-world side by side comparison of these that can chime in on the differences? Are they night and day? I really didn't notice much difference (if any) between the 65's and the kickers that were in there from the factory, which made me sad. I'd love to really get some good midrange power going in the boat to balance out this silly monster of a subwoofer.

Also, speaking of that...what is everyone doing in their Supras to minimize dash vibration with the sub under the drivers seat? I am stuffing a towel between it and the windshield, but I think the sub is rattling more and more loose every day!

Any input welcome, as always!

-Tony
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-04-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tony...as far as dash rattle....its' a pain. My 07 I ed up removing hte dash and installing garage door rubber weather stripping and usign lock tight on all nuts that hold those big lock washers ( that hold the dash together) I've alos dun the towel trick as well as stuffing foam koozies in places.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-04-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
Not a night and day difference, but the 650's do sound much better. The 65 is a great entry-level speaker to compare to what comes in some boats. The 650s require more power and typically have a little bit lower impedance, so you'll have to chose wisely when you upgrade amps. The 650's have some killer midbass compared to everything else out there.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-04-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Tony,
I have not had much rattle under the dash the last few years, but I did on my boat a few years back. I just took a couple towels and actually slid them under the dash, so you could not see them and it stopped any vibrations/rattles.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-04-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Adam, how hard is it to pop that dash off?? I thought about doing that and maybe using some leftover dynamat anywhere I could in there, but figured it'd be a huuuge pain to pull off.

I think I'm definitely going to swap my 65's out for the 650's. Amp in place has more than enough juice to push them so I should be good there.

Thanks guys!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-04-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
Tony,
Apply manual pressure to various dash locations and materials until you suppress the resonance or vibration and narrow down the specific causes.
Plastic against plastic or plastic against any surface is usually the culprit.
Dynamat will dampen sympathetic resonance.
Some of the dash hardware has to be double-nutted or receive a silicon bead so the hardware doesn't back out.
Felt strips are effective as insulators between components.

David
Earmark Marine