Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-10-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Looking at getting a new boat, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the wakes of the X15, X25, or X30?

A comparison of size and shape of the wake to an X1, XStar, or a SAN 230 would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-10-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Sup DUDE,

I have Heard from friends that the X-15 has awide wake for that size of boat... They have compared take the wake similar to a Supra/Moomba LSV

For the X25 have only heard Great things about it Nice and rampy yet solid for W2W riding
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-10-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
Don't get an x-30, the SAN 230 may look similar in size but the wake doesn't even come close.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-10-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
As said already, stay away from the X-30 as it is very touchy. If you love your X-Star I would go with the X-15 as it is a close to the wake you have plus as versatile just in a bigger size. If you can move up to a X-25 you will not be disappointed unless you want a crossover boat that will ski too. Hit me up if you are looking at used boats.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-10-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
I have an 05 X-2 (same boat/wake as X-1). I tried an X-25 a month ago and was blown away by the wake. With just stock ballast, it's big and very firm. I liked the X-25 wake so much, I placed an order for one, trading in my X-2. To get a good wake with the X-star you need to add a lot of extra weight.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-10-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
An x25 stock will blow your mind away, and the boat has it all. So much room, seats on the stern, boat is phenomenol.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-11-2010, 3:18 AM Reply   
Here's Oli Derome riding behind a 2011 x-25 and VLX in a quebec tv program! Enjoy and work on your french... lol!

http://auto.vtele.ca/videos/hp/des-b...0790_20792.php
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-11-2010, 5:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for your responses everyone! Sounds like I need to try and line up a pull behind an X25 and an X15 (unfortunately everyone has winterized their boats here in MN). I really love the wake on my 2000 XStar, I just wish it was a bigger boat. I don't need a crossover, that is for sure. Eagle and Jason, could you provide a little more info on the characteristics of the X25 wake, and/or how it compares to the X15? How does it get as you add more weight? I'll be putting any where from 3000-5000 lbs of ballast in whatever I get. That is unless I'm super satisified with the stock weight, but I'm basically never satisified until I know the wake has reached its max potential.

Keep the info coming, it's greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-11-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
We still have a Maristar 215 that is not winterized that we could load up with ballast and take for a ride. No tower, but at least you will get the characteristics of the wake. When Dean Smith was at our store a couple years ago, he rode behind the X-15 and was extremely impressed. The X-25 is awesome, but I can't tell you what it does when weighted as our two customers with 25's are not that weight adding savvy.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-11-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Send me an email if you are interested in riding our 215. I think the Maristar with a tower will provide you with more ballast room and more weight than a X-series boat. jasong@redlinewatersports.com
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-11-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Jay, I have an 05 X-2 so it's the same hull as your 2000 X-Star. I love the wake on my X-2. I wasn't really thinking much about a new boat. I was chatting with my dealer, who is a great guy, saying that I hadn't really found another boat that I want more than my X-2, especially how much I like the wake. He said how much he liked the new X-25, which I hadn't paid much attention to, and said the wake was amazing, especially at stock ballast. He said the X-star when you add a couple thousand pounds above stock gets to be a great wake, but he's never seen a wake as good as the X-25 at stock ballast. That's a big appeal to me because I don't like messing with all the extra bags, etc.. We typically ride from my dock before work early in the morning so it's a premium to get riding quickly and done quickly.

He brought one out to demo and my crew and I rode behind it. First, it's a beautiful boat and very roomy. Honestly, I don't need something that big and would prefer something a little smaller. But then we rode behind it. The first guy came back into the boat and his eyes were as big as saucers when he looked at the wake and was honestly initially scared of how big it was. And firm. There was no give or softness in the wake. It's a little wider and a little rampier than the X-2 wake, but not as wide or rampy as the X-star.

Each of the next 3 riders (including me) came back into the back totally excited about the wake. It was big, solid, and friendly.

We set it up for surfing too (it had surf tabs) and it looked like a great surf wake, but we didn't have time to surf that day.

I have not tried an X-15. The size of the X-15 actually fits my needs better. But the dealer said there really was no comparison regarding the wake. He said he can choose any boat Mastercraft makes when he takes a boat out for himself (and he's a strong rider), and each time now he takes the 25.

There is a thread on the Mastercraft forum where someone who had an X-15 and bought an X-25 compared the two. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...highlight=LY-6

I ordered the boat with the plug and play ballast so that I can add more weight if I want, especially for surfing, but check out the X-25 with just the stock tanks, and you'll be amazed. Before making a decision I also rode behind a SAN 210 and a Malibu VLX. The 210 had a bunch of extra ballast beyond stock; the VLX was stock ballast with front ballast option and the wedge. I liked both of them too and could be happy with any one of the three boats, but I preferred the X-25 wake so that's what I ordered.

Last edited by eaglejackson; 11-11-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-11-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
We have a new X25 ordered. I went to the factory in Tennessee for Mastercraft's Fanfair event and got to ride behind 2011 XStar, X25, X15, and X2. I'm a novice/intermediate rider and just like to have fun behind the boat. Wake to wake both sides and maybe some 180s if I'm feeling it towards the end of my run. Once upon a time I thought I was going to be an advanced rider but two knee surgeries pretty much stole my nerve to try new tricks.

XStar - I rode behind the Parks Edition XStar that pulled the Double-or-nothing event in September. I only used the stock ballast but this wake certainly lived up to the hype. It was huge, wide, and when I hit it just right it felt like I was launched into orbit. The problem was that when I didn't concentrate and make a good progressive cut, I shorted the jump and cased that giant wake. Ouch in the knees. I am certain that riding behind an XStar every day would make me a better rider but on the test drive it just felt more like a job than a hobby.

X15 - This wake was most similar to the XStar. Long ramp, smooth transition, cased it a few times too. The interior of this boat was most like the 2004 X2 we have now, just bigger in all directions. I liked and disliked this boat for the same reasons.

X2 - After riding in the bigger boats this felt like a toy. The wake was wide (not as wide as the 15 or star) but it had a bit of a lip at the top that made it easier to pop even with a weak cut. I rode behind this boat first and then again at the end of the day and I liked it a lot less after riding behind everything else -- but if that was the only boat I had I wouldn't be unhappy with it.

X25 - This boat wasn't even on the list at the start of the day but the MC guys urged us to try it anyway. I could basically copy and paste eaglejackson's review of the wake into here. Stock, this wake was the best of them all. Sounds funny to say it because it's obvious that the Star should be better but it simply wasn't. I'm sure that with an extra 3000 pounds in an XStar and it's a different story, but that's not how we use our boat. We need to be able to take the weight out between riders so my 8 year old can go or so we can teach a newbie how to ride. With the wakeplate down and the ballast empty, the X25 was very tame and not intimidating for a new rider. With the ballast full and the plug and play as well it was darn near perfect for me. I can't speak for surfing since I've never tried it but I plan to next summer!

Here's a video of me riding behind it that I posted already in another thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iKu0Phzhf8&hd=1
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-11-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the info guys! I've ridden the newer XStar a bunch (and yes it's been weighted to the max...5000+ lbs), and I'm just not that big of a fan of the shape. I can honestly say that in my opinion, my 2000 XStar (X1) is a better wake for me. It's definitely sounding like I need to get out in an X25, and give it a shot.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-12-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
I think it's the homosex owner of said X-Star that makes you dislike it... That's the case for me at least.. ;-)

Give the X-25 and X-15 a shot. I think you'll dig..
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-12-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
anyone been able to ride the X25 and the new san 210 seem to be a good apples to apples comparison.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-12-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
I think it's the homosex owner of said X-Star that makes you dislike it... That's the case for me at least.. ;-)

Give the X-25 and X-15 a shot. I think you'll dig..
LOL. It's not that I dislike it, I just don't like it enough to spend $80k+ on it.

I've even ridden behind one with the 6L, which we had even more weight in, and I still wasn't able to convince myself that I'd be happy enough with the wake.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-12-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
As stated already, if you like the kick/peekiness of your X-star (current X-1) then the X-15 is as close to your boat just bigger. If you want a little more lip like a SAN then the X-25 is the ticket.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=jeff_mn;1645678]I think it's the homosex owner of said X-Star that makes you dislike it... That's the case for me at least.. ;-)

Blah blah blah... Don't hate
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-12-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
@Mark: I rode behind both the new SAN 210 and the X-25. The SAN had another 1000 lbs or more beyond stock ballast. The X-25 was stock ballast. I preferred the X-25 wake. It was bigger and not quite as rampy. The SAN 210 is very nice, for sure; it's just that I liked the X-25 better. I rode behind the X-25 again today and it just reinforced how much I like it. It was the first time behind it for one of my crew, and he couldn't stop grinning about the wake.

The X-25 wake isn't as peaky as the X-1 wake; it's easier to hold the edge all the way through and enjoy the big ride!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-12-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
The x25 wake with full stock ballast and another 1200 lbs. is pretty terrifying
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-12-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
@ eagle. Thanks for the comparison I occasionally ride behind a 210 and like it alot but do not like the interior lay out. I absolutely love the way the X25 lays out. Because of size thats the most apples to apples CC v MC. Given time gotta think the X25 will be the MC of choice for familys that are more wakeboard oriented. Always felt the pickle X2 was overrated. I hope people start buying them so I can pick up a used one in a few years or so.

Last edited by tampawake; 11-12-2010 at 1:30 PM. Reason: added a word
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-12-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Sounds like their saying the SAN 230 and the MC 225 are the two to have. You should go for one of each!

I like the terrifying comment. I'd say that's probably what you're looking for. If 1200 extra is scary imagine an extra 3 or 4k.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-12-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
My CC friends say the 230 is more comparable wakewise to the X-25 than the 210. The X-25 is 21'6" long, 102" wide, 4400 lbs (!). The 210 is 21'0", 98", 3800 lbs. The 230 is 23' 1.5", 100.5", 4300 lbs. Compared to the X-25, the 230 is quite a bit longer (more than a foot and a half), a bit narrower (inch and a half), and about the same weight. The X-25 is based on the CSX 220 hull and is a heavy boat, which probably helps explain how good the wake is at stock ballast.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-12-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
have you guys seen the videos of Harley riding behind his xstar? fully weighted it is definitely the biggest wake I've ever seen. The 230
fully weighted is like a mixture of an old hull 210 and a vlx and also just a monster of wake and ive heard that the 230 is even ok stock.
these boats are meant to be weighted and are tested by the riders with the boat fully weighted. At 21'8 inches and 4500 pounds, that is one
heavy boat but was the wake designed with solely wakeboarding in mind? I've ridden the x-80 wake stock and the wake was huge but had a
terrible shape. until I see pros choosing the 225 to ride behind will I be able to spend that much money on it. And the fact that you said the x-2 wake
was fun stock kind of devoids everything. that wake stock and with ballast is garbage. kind of like the 220 or 226 when it existed. if you are
willing to drop that much coin get something that has Been proven. The X-1 is by far the best bang
for your buck in wakeboard boats but if you want something with more room, the x-star, wakesetter lsv, and 230 are going to never let you get to a
point where you are limited by your wake. The same goes for the x-1. now I have heard that the goal of the x25 was to offer a smaller version of
the x-star. no idea if this has any truth but if it is, then you can throw it in
there with the other big boys. I just know that if a boat around 21 feet is what I was looking at, I would go with an x1 or a vlx. from personal experience,
mastercraft and nautique love putting an x or a 2 in front of their boats and
market them as wakeboard boats when they are really just crossovers with a wrap on them.
any boat that was made to allow wakeboarding and waterskiing means they had to
sacrifice the depth of the hull to do so. it amazes me that they even call an x30 a wakeboard boat with how terrible of a wake it makes.
At least nautique discontinued the 226 when they had so many unsatisfied
customers thinking they just bought the "new super air nautique" just like they are calling the
new 210 a super air nautique. if it was anything close to as good of a wake as the old hull then their riders
would be using it instead of the 230. These guys are given their boats for free, if nautique thought the 210
was comprable to the 230 then they wouldn't be giving them a boat that's an extra $25k. same
thing goes with the 225. has to make you think if it is the real deal or not.

from that video, it didn't look like much of anything to me. definitely wasn't bucking the rider by any means and the other wake was
completely washed out. imagine how hard it will be to keep the wake clean when you put in 3000 pounds.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2010, 1:13 AM Reply   
Kyle, do you know what you are talking about or saying in your ramble? The X in MasterCrafts line just means that it is the Maristar hull with a tower, ballast, some kind of cruise and depending on year sub and amp standard. That is it. It doesn't mean that it is a wakeboard boat as that is a completely open ended question. The boats you mentioned are all great boats and they all serve a different purpose. Do not knock a so called wakeboard boat just because of a biased opinion. Depending on how you ride, shape, weighted vs. non weighted and overalll comfort makes a big indention on what boat you may lean towards.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-13-2010, 4:52 AM Reply   
Firstly, I did not mean for this to turn into a p!ss!ng match on peoples opinions of how sick a wake is...I want facts on what the shapes, size, and charecterstics of the wake of the boats (yes I know that there is still room for some opinion in there). For the most part this thread has been pretty insightful, so thanks to those of you who have been giving info, and comparing the characteristics of the wakes for me. The 230 wake in my opinion is awesome, and it's certainly still a boat that I'm considering. I find that the shape is some what of a blend of the X1 and the XStar, and just keeps getting bigger with more weight. I'm really regretting not taking the time to demo an X25 this summer, and unfortunatley it's snowing like a mofo right now here in Minneapolis. Does anyone have, or know of someone who has an X25down south (preferably in Florida), that they'd be willing to hook me up with a pull in the next 1-3 months?

Kyle, as far as the 226 being discountinued - you may want to check out the Nautiques website...looks to still be in their line up to me. I agree with you on the X1 being one of, if not, the best wake there is (for me), however, I just want a bigger boat. Yes the XStar wake is big, just not my cup of tea as far as shape goes. Plus, the market is super saturated with used XStars right now, and with a new XStar model/hull coming out in the next year or two it's going to make selling one pretty hard, unless you're willing to let them go cheap.
Old     (rt360)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-13-2010, 5:28 AM Reply   
jay all you have to do is say compare. then you have opened the debate.
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-13-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Best part about buying a new boat is test driving them all. Don't buy anything without being 100% sure -- it's too big an investment to be taking the word of internet fanboys!

p.s. buy the x25! Now go reread my last sentence.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-22-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
Hey Jay, One of my best friends in Seattle has an '08 X15- very nice boat. Tons of room- smaller sun deck so you pick up a bunch inside. Also a lot of storage under the seats, etc. It's a BIG hull- much larger than your X-star. With the stock ballast and two people in the boat- you won't be happy with the wake. If you were to upgrade the ballast with bigger bags in the back and a larger center tank or bage under the front seats, the wake is awesome- great transition, ramp and boots you up. The power this boat has is great too. I would seriously look at the x-15 If I were you. The X-25 i am sure is also great, but they are going to be expensive for a while.

My buddy got a fully loaded '08 x-15 with ALL of the stuff on it and the engine upgrade on a tandem trailer -BRAND NEW - paid cash in early '09 - $48,900- Seriously the best deal I have ever heard of. Good luck man.