Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-25-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
What is everyone doing for their Surf Set-up for their X-stars? I am running a stock set up right now and would like to make some investments for a bigger, more surfable wake.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-25-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
What is everyone doing for their Surf Set-up for their X-stars? I am running a stock set up right now and would like to make some investments for a bigger, more surfable wake.
X-Stars have amazing wakeboard wakes. Surf wakes not so much in my opinion. I have really tried to make it work but I never get anything super solid but it does have an amazing wakeboard wake. haha.

I usually put a 750 in the rear locker, ultimate surf sac on the seat, and x-star bow bags under the front seats. That is the best setup I have found although it is a huge pain in the ass to have that giant bag in the boat.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
This was the set up in mine I liked best - I don't surf much so it was fine for me.
Stock starboard rear full. PWT on that side empty.
Stock port rear full, port rear pwt bag full, 450 on rear seat shoved towards port, 450 on port bench seat back as far as i could get it.
Front empty, I did run my with and extra 300 dry weight in my bow all the time so that was there.
I think you can get a decent surf wave out of the star, it's more the swim platform drag that's an issue rather then the hull IMO. This was the 2004-2012 pickle fork hull I assume that's what you are asking about.
Attached Images

Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-04-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
I run full stock balast with an 1100# bag in the starboard rear locker and a 750# in the compartment in front of the spotter. That gives a nice big wave but it's still fairly close to the swim deck. It's hard to get the star wave farther back. Seems to be nature of the hull design.

I like this setup because it's all plumbed in to the stock balast pumps and there are no bags on the floor. I have a 2008 star where the pump timers can be set to run long enough to fill the stock tanks and the extra bags. I fill the 1100 with the starboard pump and the 750 with the port pump. The 750 is filled from the overflow on the port tank. The 1100 is filled directly off the pump. I put a Y valve after the pump so first I fill the tank, then switch the handle and fill the bag.

Last edited by cbarguy1; 03-04-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-04-2013, 2:17 PM Reply   
12.2 mph with a 700 in the port corner, 700 on the floor, centre factory 70% full and factory port/stardboard full. If we don't have too many people I will put a 300 on the passenger/rear seating area.

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-04-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
Not a safe place for the ladies to sit back there. I think they better come with me instead haha jk jk
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2013, 7:40 PM Reply   
I've tried all combinations on my Star and came up with #1100 in the aft locker, Stock under floor filled, no bow (KGB) weight at all, a #450 on the aft seat, and if it's just my wife and I, I'll strap a brick #200 on the swim platform.. I'm fabricating and installing the X 10 type tab system this year for the X Star.. With the tabs I believe I won't need the #450 on the seat or the brick anymore..
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
Xstar's are not the greatest surf wake, especially Goofy Side.. But we can make it work..

Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Standard side on the X Star.... Same weight configuration

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-09-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
This is super helpful....thank you. Time to load up on some additional ballast. Those surf wakes look awesome.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-18-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
Partial Installation of Surf Tab on an 08 Xstar....

I still have two each plate stiffners to install...

I'll keep you posted and the developments..

The tabs are 12X16..

Very difficult to install on the Xstar.. A lot of cutting and trimining the plates

Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-19-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
I would put a 600+ on the port back, then 400 under the port seats, then another 400 under the seats in the bow. If we really wanted it to be bigger I would fill 2 more 600s and put in the back and on the floor in the bow, is it would come out the walk through window area. Then depending on how many people I would add weight in the bow to lengthen the wake.
Old     (Freakytikitv)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-06-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagermeister View Post
Partial Installation of Surf Tab on an 08 Xstar....

I still have two each plate stiffners to install...

I'll keep you posted and the developments..

The tabs are 12X16..

Very difficult to install on the Xstar.. A lot of cutting and trimining the plates

Please post more pics of your boat. Video of wake after install would help us with our setup.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-09-2013, 8:32 PM Reply   
After quit a bit of testing... When the tab is deflected down to lean the boat to the surf side configuration, a huge water hole was created.. This essentially sucked the wake into it defeating the purpose of increasing the wake.. So we reconfigured the tabs to retract as opposed to extend.. Surf side retract the tab ( out of the slip stream) and non surf side extend flush with the water flow.. This configuration extends the LOA on the non surf side and shortens the LOA ( essentially shortens the overall boat length on the surf side.. Basically what the Surf gate does... This worked much better.. We are now in the process of building a compound gate.. It will have 2 tabs on one, one in level to retract position and a "Surf Gate" type tab mounted 90 degrees with an lenco actuator mounted on the existing level tab..

There's not a lot on data on this so it's all trial and error..

note: LOA is a marine term for length overall..

Last edited by jagermeister; 06-09-2013 at 8:36 PM.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-09-2013, 9:02 PM Reply   
With stiffeners installed prior to reconfiguration of tab extension..
Old     (deminimis)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-24-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
Here's my recipe from last year. Empty KGB. Port and starboard full. 750 port locker. 400-ish under observer. 750 on top of observer as far aft as possible. 400 rear seat to make an "L" with the 750. (1)55 and small cooler on floor to help support the L should it shift (which it never does). 10.5mph.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-25-2013, 8:21 PM Reply   
Here is a quick clip.... unedited from the gopro

http://youtu.be/qKJRDi_8Vrs