Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-04-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
A friend of mine asked if he could run a Wet Sounds WS420 on his boat without using a head unit. Even though I've always used mine with a head unit, it made me realize that I didn't need the head unit at all because I just plug my music player directly into the WS420. I really don't use my head unit for anything! It really opened my eyes to the flexibility of this unit for ATVs, golf carts, etc. I'm assuming similar units, such as the Kicker ZXMRLC, would work the same way.

Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just clueless, but I wanted to pass it on.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-04-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
You are 100% on the mark! I couple this up with a peripheral IS 75 cable to hook up the ipod or iphone and we are good to go!!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-04-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Personally, I'm not completely over the sound quality of CDs for certain applications nor am I completely over vinyl in the home....but the ipod has had a giant impact on countless other consumer audio products. HUs are definitely in decline and fewer CDs are available in fewer locations.
You may still want to enjoy live talk radio, FM and satellite radio in your car if you spend allot of time in it. But for motorsports and watersports people just don't need those options having huge ipod playlists.
I think we are about to see even more offerings of the independent processors that replace HUs.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-04-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
So then which one controls the volume? Or does the Ws 420 only control volume when auxillary inputted and hu is playing CD fm am etc?
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-04-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
So then which one controls the volume? Or does the Ws 420 only control volume when auxillary inputted and hu is playing CD fm am etc?
I would assume you just turn the source to 3/4 volume and control the volume with the WS420
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-04-2012, 5:51 PM Reply   
Im the kinda person that will probably not give up a head-unit. On a Sunday afternoon, I like to tune in the race while on the water. But for those that do not need AM/FM/CD/SAT, etc, there are tons of options to connect your MP3 players to without the need for a traditional head-unit. Heck, you can even go right to an amp with a 3.5mm headphone jack x RCA cable. Not the highest sound quality, but it works just fine.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-05-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
I think you need an amp after the WS420 and if you want to use both zones, you'd need two amps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works. I don't think the power from your mp3 player will do much for you.
Old     (grkero)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-05-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
I do exactly that on my boat. I have just a WS420 and two amps (1 for boat/sub, 1 for tower). I have my iPod plugged into the WS420 and that's it for my audio inputs.

Here's the thing... it really sucks using the WS420 for volume control. I would recommend to anyone eliminating a head unit to find some other set up for a volume control. The WS420 knobs really are a pain to turn up and down every time someone falls and you need to come back around. When I get my boat back after the winter I am going to find a good solution for this without putting a head unit back in.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-05-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
I love the WS420 knobs. I can control the zones individually or I can grab both zones at the same time and control them together with just two fingers. I'll take knobs any day over the push button up-down electronic buttons that you have to press 50 times to get the volume up or down.

Sounds like you're look for a volume attenuator that adjusts the volume for you based on how fast the boat is going.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-05-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkero View Post
I do exactly that on my boat. I have just a WS420 and two amps (1 for boat/sub, 1 for tower). I have my iPod plugged into the WS420 and that's it for my audio inputs.

Here's the thing... it really sucks using the WS420 for volume control. I would recommend to anyone eliminating a head unit to find some other set up for a volume control. The WS420 knobs really are a pain to turn up and down every time someone falls and you need to come back around. When I get my boat back after the winter I am going to find a good solution for this without putting a head unit back in.
IPhone Adaptunes App - speed based volume control

99cents and your problem is solved