Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
I replaced the steering cable on my 2000 X-Star. Steering is butta smooth,(pinky turning) on the trailer and the rudder is easily moved by hand underneath.

However weighted the thing is a beast to turn to the left compared to the right. Was wondering if this is super common with this particular boat. With the older cable it was a little tight both ways, but now its noticeably different while turning left it two hand job for the wife. Figured it was probably due to the offset on the rudder or the prop rotation, but I am guessing. Our previous 5 comp (4 being v-drives) boats never had an issue, but were different mfg's. To the right its smooth as silk, but left there is some resistance for sure.

Just wondering if I needed to grease something or maybe there is an adjustment to improve that. Also maybe there is a chance I overlooked something on the install.
Old     (pcolajosh)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
Swatguy,

FWIW, my 99 X-Star doesn't turn left worth a crap since I put on a FAE.

As far as grease, as far as I know, there's just the rudder and cable zerks.

Good luck. I will probably have to replace my cable this summer. I think it's currently stretched, and that is a precursor to snapping from what I've heard on the net.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-18-2010, 9:31 PM Reply   
Swat, I know you run more weight than me, but mine is a little harder to turn to the left than the right. I think prop rotation has a lot to do with it.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-19-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Yea Josh I have FAE as well, but cant compare to before FAE as my cable was tight.
The cable replacement was a cinch so if you need some quick tips let me know. but like iI said piece of cake DIY job.

Lion,
I was figuring that had some to do with it. but just wasn't sure howw much it should be.

Thanks guys
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-19-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Your prop rotation is why it's easier to turn right than left. All inboards I have driven are like that. And weight is just going to make it more so I have found.