Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-29-2015, 4:06 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever had any experience with these guys? Was wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze as its not CHEAP

http://www.wakefx.com/
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-29-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
Looks like a manual surf gate and as that will likely work well. Agee with you on the price!! Seems like a lot for whats there.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-29-2015, 7:15 PM Reply   
I'd be very interested to hear some results of people using it. Certainly doesn't look ghetto at all!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2015, 6:29 AM Reply   
Looks like a well designed version of the ghetto gates a lot of people are making on their own.
Guessing it's all custom machined, which is not cheap. Little stout for my budget but looks great.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-01-2015, 6:38 AM Reply   
I am going to go test it out this upcoming week. I will take some video and throw it up here to get everyones input. Now i just need to sell a kidney and were in business!
Old     (milehigh)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-05-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
Not a chance in hell I would pay that much for a product that is just putting every bit of load and stress on my platform and it's brackets!!! At that price your almost to a gosurfassist!
Old     (Captainkurk72)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-08-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
I agree with mile high. I built my own out with what I had leftover fixing my trailer. 1/3" marine grade plywood and marine carpet. Took just a few hours and use a rachet strap to hold in place and only takes few minutes to install. The spots where there is contact with the boat and swim deck are covered in carpet. The pics don't show this. I did use cardboard for template to the board up against the boat transom.
This is too simple and cheap to not try. My next version will be made from marine grade high density polyethylene.
Old     (WakeFX)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-11-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
I know this a forum for input and experience and not a site for selling products. I want to respect that and I also want to thank all of you for your discussion and remarks. I built this device with the rider and boat owner as my ultimate feedback and improvement source.

The device isn’t the least expensive alternative, but it is designed to be adjustable and universal. Daniel got it right, as it is custom machined. I did start with many versions of the “ghetto gate” using wood, and HDBE Plastics. I just found even with the straps it took too long to take on and off as well as I wasn’t able to “dial in” for maximum effect. As far as cost, we are just trying to make a reasonable margin to keep in production and spread the sport. If we all think of the cost of our boats, speakers, gas, ballast systems, boards, etc.; it all is pretty costly. This device saves time on the water, which is also a desired commodity.

Ric, your comments are spot on. Other than cost, this is the biggest single concern at first glance. For example, the force on the Malibu Surf Gate is about 300lbs. That is much less than having a couple of buddies jumping off the swim platform or even one person bouncing at the edges where a failure is more likely. The force is also distributed vertically and laterally, which disperses the load in two directions.

Please follow me on Instagram @wakefx. I have several pros (you can see some in my followers) that have ridden with the device and gave their “thumbs up”, however I can’t name names as they have contracts that wont’ allow them to comment at this time.

Anyway, I am available to answer any questions and I do have a full money back guarantee. Best regards and keep the comments coming! Sam