Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of trying my first toe 7. I'm thinking that I start the spin a little later, and at the first 180 position, yank the handle harder than I normally would for a toe 5. Then spin the remaining 540.

Any other tips from people that have done this?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-25-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
Honestly, If you are ready for 7s you already know how do to them, but here are a few tips/reminders. Most of all, you have to remember all the stuff it took to land the 540 and do it perfect even if you can do lazy 540s now. My 7s start getting sloppy/inconsistant when I forget the fundamentals.

1.)Use a progressive edge and keep your upper body loose on the approach. If I'm tense, my body position goes to crap in the air.
2.)Milk the pop as much as you can before you spin. If you feel like you need to spin faster--Don't! You don't need to pull any harder than a 540. Work on the pop off the wake if you are running out of time in the air. Don't rush the spinning. Make it very deliberate.
3.)Don't do a 540 to blind. I did them like this for years and could ride away, but you will never get consistent until you give up on that "am I high enough for the last 180," peak at the water.

You'll land this, but don't get discouraged if it is super tough to get consistent. I've been doing them a long time and still have sets where I goof every attempt. No one trick should set the tone of a set so don't get hung up on it (I struggle with this). To quote a pro from years ago: 720s are Fing hard.

Oh, get some video for the Challenge thread and good luck!
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-25-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
I've been trying them switch and have the same problem as HS BS 5s (and BS 180s when I was learning them) where I always fall on my butt. The last few I tried felt awesome and over the board but then I had a new problem. I was trying to land blind but I was spinning so fast that when I tried to stop and land blind, my shoulder almost dislocated and got yanked super hard. Why do I have so much tension on the landing? Is it just because I'm spinning too much/too fast?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-25-2014, 4:41 PM Reply   
Sounds like you are yanking/forcing it. Be sooth, focused and keep your chest up. Tramp practice will help a lot.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
Yup. The line tension for me usually means that I'm starting the spin to early.