Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    boarderrr            08-05-2014, 6:40 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first wakesurf board. Does anyone know any good boards? I'm not really sure wether I like surf or skim style better. I usually wakeboard so I'm new to wakesurfing. I go wakesurfing whenever I can though. I was looking a lot into shred stixx and have heard a lot of good and some bad as well. It would need to be a relatively cheap but I still want a quality board and not a "beginners" board.
Thanks!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
Relatively cheap is pretty relative. There are lots of good boards out there, but most will be in the $500 to $800 range. The first thing is tell us a little more about your height and weight.

Nick
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-06-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
If you're new, you probably want a surf style board. That's where a lot of people start out. They are generally a little more stable and are good for carving around, having a good time on the wake and maybe getting some airs.
Skim styles tend to be a lot looser and are made to be able to do spins easier, but they are generally not as stable or straight tracking as a surf style is. This is due to how they track through the water and their much smaller fin setups.

Most people prefer to have not just one board, but a variety of boards, maybe even just one skim, one surf, or a few of each. Each board is going to have different characteristics from another board, even as little as being a model year different.

Definitely let us know height, weight, and what kind of setup your boat is running. If you have a killer wake, you have a wider variety of boards you can run. If it's not so great, you will want something a little bigger, and definitely one that tracks faster.
Old    Steer_Mike            08-06-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
The shop I get my boards from is www.ampdhd.com they have tons of pro boards and really great deals. There customer service is top notch. Check them out.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-06-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
Check out SoulCraft they are custom boards but very worth it. Jeff has been making wakesurf boards for a while. http://www.soulcraftboarding.com a lot of people have them where I live in Nor Cal and have ridden a few of them. Ordered my board about a month ago he just finished it, pictures below are before it was cleared sending it out today.

Jeff asks pretty much make you a cust board for your weight and skill set.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407362012.428097.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  115.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407362025.659864.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  108.3 KB
Old     (boardstiff)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2014, 6:57 AM Reply   
@Davewfo...if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your custom board?
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-07-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardstiff View Post
@Davewfo...if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your custom board?
That was probably a $900 board.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-07-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Boardstiff,

Probably close to what Mike said. That is a faux wood finish. It is spray/brush paint designed to look like wood.

Custom boards average between $600 and $900 depending on what you want. PM me I can walk your through the process.
There is a reason why multiple world championships have been won on my boards.

Nick
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-13-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
A custom board is out of the question IMO. If I were you id grab a liquid force TC skim, they are fragile but they surf like a skimmer and an ocean surfer at the same time. I have one and I love it! they're $500 new but last years was $450. I picked mine up for $300 (I work at a board shop)
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-13-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplogue7 View Post
A custom board is out of the question IMO. If I were you id grab a liquid force TC skim, they are fragile but they surf like a skimmer and an ocean surfer at the same time. I have one and I love it! they're $500 new but last years was $450. I picked mine up for $300 (I work at a board shop)
The new TC skims dont seem as fragile as last years model.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-13-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'm on my 7th board.... Buy used and hop on as a 3rd to ride other boards b4 you buy... Save Some $$peso$$..............