Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JustinH13)      Join Date: Jul 2012 Location: Greenville, SC       09-28-2019, 10:19 AM Reply   
I've had a 2000 SAN for 18 years and run about 2500-3000 pounds of extra weight. I like the peaky more abrupt wake of the early 2000s SANs. I like being able to not take much of a cut into the wake and yet still have it kick me pretty good.

That said, I'm looking to upgrade next year or the following. How do the wakes on the newer Nautiques, say year 2010 and newer, compare to the early 2000s? I'd like to get something somewhat similar.

Thx in advance.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       09-28-2019, 1:29 PM Reply   
Epic 23v and Sanger V210
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-29-2019, 12:25 PM Reply   
The 2005 and newer Malibu VLX had a very adjustable wake. The nautique 236 and 230 also have a similar wake. Supra 22 and 24SSV had a good shape but my experience with the older ones wasn’t very good as far as reliability. I haven’t ridden the mb boats but they look similar as well.
Old     (lucas200397)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-29-2019, 9:38 PM Reply   
Was in this same situation in 2016, went with a MB Sports F21 Tomcat. Wake is like the earlier SAN's but on steroids. Dude in pic is 5' 10" - 5' 11" for reference.
Attached Images

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-30-2019, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have not ridden a huge variety of newer wakes but I have ridden G23, G21 and Axis. The G21 is like two SAN wakes on top of one another. The G21 with no ballast is more like the loaded 2500 lb plus SAN wake. The Axis (not sure which model, I think A22?) and G23 were comparable to each other. More rampy requiring more edge/cut, but big pop when you cut right. Even on the G21, you have to hold your edge through the top of the wake to really get the boot. Haven't ridden a boat that is directly comparable to the SAN as far as just drifting in, hitting the curb, and getting booted. That said, the wakes are bigger on the newer boats, the pop potential bigger and the landings much softer with a bigger tranny...all at slower speeds and shorter ropes to make things less consequential. Definitely worth considering an upgrade if you have the means...
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-30-2019, 12:20 PM Reply   
you are going to get a much wider wake with the newer boats, and, usually, running faster speeds. most newer boats are deeper and less flat at the back of the hull. Older Bu's most pre 2008 boats were flatter. depending on money a mid 2000's x star vlx, supra line in the 21ft 22ft boats LSV a 210 CC would be my choice for an upgrade trying to copy your boat now.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-01-2019, 1:04 AM Reply   
I can echo the comments on the G21; it is absolutely like 2 x SAN stacked on top of each other. It's an incredibly boosty wake. It's also pretty unforgiving... end up going long and smash the up-side of the trough, or coming up short on top of the other wake is a recipe for bone jarring. Very rewarding when you get things dialed in though.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-01-2019, 2:15 PM Reply   
My old 2004 210 with 5000 lb had a giant and rock hard wakeboard wake. Dangerously large for a regular rider like me. The advanced riders liked it best though.
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-02-2019, 4:33 AM Reply   
2nd for the B52 21 Team Widebody and F21 from MB in the early 2010s. Those boats throw some nasty peaky wakes. Stock ballast, 400 in the nose and you are set.
Old     (JustinH13)      Join Date: Jul 2012 Location: Greenville, SC       10-08-2019, 1:03 AM Reply   
Thx to all who replied - very helpful !
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-08-2019, 2:28 AM Reply   
I owned 3 of the old SAN and am a huge fan.

The Mb f21 tomcat and f22 tomcat are very similar to older San wake but bigger. I would recommend testing them with stock ballast, and 5 people or so. Don’t fill surf ballast . Boat really likes center weight. If you put too much more weight the wake gets too steep imo.

Also 2016 mb52, had an incredible wake, similar style, but even more ramp. This Hull you’re able to load down a little more than the others. It was my favorite Hull by far. The new b52 is a surf Hull

The newer g23 and g21 have a pretty steep and poppy wake as well, but a little bit wider so you can’t have a completely lazy style cut. The g can max out a lot bigger than the mb, so depends how big you need it.

The epic is very steep as well, it was a little to steep for me the couple times I rode it.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       11-08-2019, 4:50 AM Reply   
I went from a '98 Nautique Super Sport (v-drive) to a 2013 210. Honestly, I preferred the old wakeboarding wake in terms of out-of-the-box awesomeness. Fill the center tank and good to go; fill more depending on how big you want to go. New boat requires a little more finesse with the ballast to get the wake where I want it but once you get it dailed in it is a really nice wake. Surfing is much better on the new boat with NSS.