Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Ski_Antique)      Join Date: May 2013       05-08-2013, 7:43 PM Reply   
Has anyone tried to install a pair of turn down tips on their boat? http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...45636&id=57118

I was thinking it's a cheap and quick way to keep exhaust fumes from the wakesurfers. Installing these elbows would probably eliminate the flappers - is that a problem?
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-08-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
not gonna affect the fumes much at all
and i think what your wanting would be turned tips not the rubber elbows linked

Last edited by robertstone9; 05-08-2013 at 9:01 PM.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-09-2013, 2:40 AM Reply   
Those are not meant to be used as exhaust tips.

I recently ordered a set of these that should be here next week:
http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-09-2013, 4:42 AM Reply   
I have the Malibu tips on my boat and love them. I would have went with a FAR but it would not work with my switchblade
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Harold- Did you find that it took down the noise on your exhaust?

I was looking for my 08 xstar as it doesn't have any water muffler and just baffled tips. Thought maybe the downturn would assist in firing the sound into the water.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-09-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
I have them and LOVE them. It knocks noise down noticeably.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
bakes units are quality pieces?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-09-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
They nock the noise down quite a bit but my boat also has a muffler.If your boat does not have a muffler I would look into a FAE to reduce the engine noise
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-09-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2lo View Post
bakes units are quality pieces?
They are the OEM optional exhaust turn downs Malibu has been offering for several years.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
I would just go with an FAE that seems like the best solution and everyone seems to like them
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Will these fit on a newer MC? My wifes biggest complaint about our X-30 (and even our Moomba) was the engine had too much rumble....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2013, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Will these fit on a newer MC? My wifes biggest complaint about our X-30 (and even our Moomba) was the engine had too much rumble....
http://www.freshairexhaust.us/ or are you talking about the turn down tips? If you want it quieter, get the FAE
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-09-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I would just go with an FAE that seems like the best solution and everyone seems to like them
I chose against the FAE for a number of reasons:
- Polished + optioned to clear the wedge = double the cost vs what I paid for the Malibu STE
- Loss of top speed with the FAE, usually 1-2 MPH reported
- Some has spray issues with the FAE
- Have to spend more money on good T-bolt clamps to keep the FAE from coming apart all the time.

Does it have advantages over the STE? 100% for sure, but it also has some significant disadvantages too...price being a huge one.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
really? I love my FAE, I never go over 30mph anyway, I have no spray, and I have the hose clamps that came with it and they have never came loose, its the best money I have ever spent on my ride. My stereo sounds way better, and people can actually talk to each other without raising their voice while runnng. No more fumes is another plus!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-09-2013, 11:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
really? I love my FAE, I never go over 30mph anyway, I have no spray, and I have the hose clamps that came with it and they have never came loose, its the best money I have ever spent on my ride. My stereo sounds way better, and people can actually talk to each other without raising their voice while runnng. No more fumes is another plus!
X2^^^
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-10-2013, 6:32 AM Reply   
Dig the thread. Problem with me is that we mostly ride on a lake that is very weedy. Any problem with FAE getting full of weeds or thrown out of whack because of them?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-10-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
Come on Tony really? You have surfed my boat with the tips. Is it loud?? Can you smell the exhaust?? The FAE does produce spray at speeds above surf speed. Not a big deal for some but a deal breaker for others. I like your FAE it works great at reducing noise and fumes but you must admit it is not the best looking thing on the market.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-10-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_beck View Post
Dig the thread. Problem with me is that we mostly ride on a lake that is very weedy. Any problem with FAE getting full of weeds or thrown out of whack because of them?
Weeds have zero effect FAE. And I think the FAE looks pretty dang cool!
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-10-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
I know they won't change the outcome but what about getting hung up on the contraption?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-10-2013, 7:23 AM Reply   
The prop, rudder and fins all hang down far below the FAE. If you were to back up into something you would be happy it it the FAE instead of the rudder. (but it would probably miss the FAE and just take out your prop anyway)
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-10-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
Has anyone had luck with an exhaust or fabrication shop making something similar to the Malibu turn down tips? Even if it is just a turn down without the baffle, i would think that would help a lot
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
H20king, I have never heard your boat run, the stereo is always blasting about 120 db ROTFLMFAO!! I think it looks pretty cool, you are just jealous you can't put one on your Falcon. As far as fumes go, you are right, I have not smelled any behind your boat, but I ride with my nose plugged! J/K
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
as far as the spray goes, I like to run around like a flat bottom motor head and pretend its my Jetovater, or whatever you call those things HaHa
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-10-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
tony you are a funny guy. Sure my stereo is blasting at 120db but now that we upgraded your tunes you are blasting at a 100db . Typical meathead blasting tunes throwing a huge rooster from your FAE ROTFLMAO
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-13-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
I put an FAE on my boat on Saturday. It definitely is a lot more quiet. It is nice. I noticed the additional spray mentioned above. The spray starts at the FAE and shoots up about 2 feet above the back of the boat and projects out about 5 feet behind the boat. I probably wouldn't have ever noticed it if I hadn't read these comments in this thread. The spray on my boat started about 15-16 mph. Any speed below that, I didn't see any spray. I am definitely glad I put it on.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
I think a lot of boats (mine for example) throw a little rooster tail already so you don't even notice any extra spray with FAE.
Old     (bigkdog100)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-15-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
Tim, my old Malibu did exactly what your talking about with the FAE. I found that if you rolled the "snorkel" piece out (away from the boat) this reduced the spray immensely! I know It doesn't really matter but that's what I found out......

KK