Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
I'm in the process of upgradingmy stereo and I need to replace my head unit. The one(Sony) I have now skips really bad and its only 2 years old.
Any suggestions?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-29-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
Last summer I replaced my head unit and at that time it came down to only one choice that fit all my requirements of:
-good anti skip
-display easily seen in bright sunlight (this was not an easy one to solve as most units are LED as opposed to LCD which is better in bright light)
-MP3
-All CD types
-separate bass line out
-changer control
-quick/easy control access
-wired remote capable
Some other units have come out since then but I chose the Sony MDX MP80.
Just be sure to have the mount angle within spec. My initial anlge was not and I did get some skips even from the subs hittin. Afterwards, NOOOOOO skips!
Good luck

(Message edited by nvsairwarrior on December 29, 2003)
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Duane,
Is it difficult to change the mount angle. I can't remember what it looks under my dash.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-29-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Lance,
Are you suggesting that you may be violating the mount anlge on your current unit?
Assuming we have the same angle due to virtually the same boat, my stock angle is about 45 degrees. I was able to bring it to within the 30 degrees by putting a spacer along the top edge of the splash housing. Can't tell it's there by looking at it.
Bottom line, be sure to check this angle when considering a new unit. Car installs are usually pretty flat (horizontal), not as frequently seen in a boat.
Good luck
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
Its possible that my angle is to steep. I appreciate the tips.
On a side note what kind of set up do you have in your boat?

Do you have speakers in your bow area?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-29-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Lance,
No speakers in the bow.
I put two 6 1/2's facing forward under the reat seat that is running of the head unit (Front R&L)
3 12inch subs (ported box in L Rear locker, 1 sealed infront of driver, 1 sealed behind Observer seat)
Tower: 4 8's and 2 HLCDrivers
Are you wanting to add/change your Tower set up?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
I currently do not have a tower setup. I'm really dumb when it comes to this stereo stuff. I currently have the four stock speakers. I'm thinking about changing those as well. I plan on adding the tower speakers, 1 sub, maybe changing the 61/2", and of course amps. How do you have your second battery hooked up. Switch or Isolator?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-29-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
I'm currently using a Perko switch but if I were to do it again I would consider using the isolator.
As a suggestion, if you intend to put up some tower speakers, I would do that before changing the interior speakers. Depending on what you put up, it can have a significant impact on interior sound as well.
I first went with Tower only which was way good.....until I put the bimini up. Then some of the sound would bounce off the bimini. That's why I put in the 6 1/2's facing forward. That's all it takes in the cabin for clean volume if you have a big tower set up.
Personally, the bow area for me is of no sound importance.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Everyone suggests the isolator. I was just trying to get of rewiring my head unit to pull off the second battery. Some people say that I should not have to. The head unit pulling off the main battery should not drain it. I would just feel better if were pulling off the second battery. My boat came with two speakers facing forward under the rear seat. It also has one behind the drivers seat (starboard) and one under the observer's seat. They sound pretty good but when I turn it up it sounds pretty nasty. I bought an Orion 5 channel amp to run my sub and interior speakers, I have just got to buy an amp for the tower. I was looking at a pair of Boss B-52's. You think I'll be able to hear just 2 speakers on the tower. I have been emailing a fellow name John on this site and he has been very helpful. He thought a pair of 6x9's would be more functional than the two 5 1/4" that comes with the Boss setup.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-29-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
Lance,
For those that have followed my post's on this subject I'll remain consistenct by saying that Tower set ups are of usually two types.
1) better sound quality to the swim deck or while stopped.
2)clean volume to the rider.
If you want #1, then either approach will suffice assuming proper amplification.
If you are looking for #2 then you need a different approach. That approach would require more woofer area then 2 6x9's. My formula starts with about 200 sq inches of woofer area.
How would you describe your objective?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have to be cautious what my tower setup is. I have two small kids and dont want them to lose their hearing before they turn teenagers. I'm already thinking differntly because I was thinking the more bass you take out of the tower setup the rider could hear alot more. So to be honest I'm kinda a 1.5 if that makes any sense. I guess right now I'm leaning toward better sound inside the boat and not so much the rider. Do the tower speakers really effect the sound inside the boat?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-29-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Lance,
Glad you know what you want.
As far as tower speakers effecting sound inside the boat, this depends on several vaiables.
But basically what you tend to hear inside the boat from tower speakers is a muffled volume. The closer you are to the effective dispersion of the speaker, the clearer/cleaner it becomes. This is more pronounced with the higher frequencies you are listening to.
That's why under the tower you will hear some of the volume, but somewhat muffled higher frequencies. Also, as I mentioned before, as soon as you put up your bimini, even more of the sound waves will tend to bounce off the bimini and keep your under bimini area absent of the higher freq's.
This is rarely an issue as virtually all boats have cabin speakers.....don't they? j/k
good luck
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for help Duane,
I'm fairly new to this sport and this forum has really shed some light on some questions I had. I appreciate your time and input.

Happy New Year!