Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-05-2010, 11:41 PM Reply   
I know there are countless battery manufacturers and everyone has their favorites.
My question is, does anyone have any experience with Shuriken agm batteries? Judging from the web site they look to be affiliated with Metra. I was turned on to them by a friend of mine so I did a little snooping. Looks to be a fairly quality product. What do you think?
www.shurikenonline.com/
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-06-2010, 7:25 PM Reply   
Any one ever heard of them?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-06-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
I haven't heard of them, but I googled them and it sounds like they are a new battery made by metra. From the stuff I read people didn't think Metra makes good stuff other than dash kits and harnesses. Some people also thought they were way too expensive. I think it is crazy that people pay what they do for Kinetics and other "high end" stereo batteries. I can see if you get a great deal on them but they are crazy expensive. I am a dealer for Deka batteries in Seattle and they make a good quality battery. They are a full line battery manufacturer and make almost all their batteries in the US. For a lot less you can get almost the same specs on one of their AGM batteries. Deka is more associated with Heavy Duty stuff like class 8 trucks. They are standard in pretty much every class 8 truck manufacturer except International.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-06-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
Hey Newty, This is the second time I have heard of the this company. The place that I got my Kinetiks from for my 2006 Supra said that Kinetiks hasnt shipped for a couple of months. Not sure what the deal is with that. But they sent me a couple of leads on other brands and Shuriken was on the list as well as Audio Force.
I guess Audio Force is a Seattle company. Let me know if you end up going down this road. I would be interested in your input as well.

(Message edited by big_b_21v on January 06, 2010)
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-06-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
I have been looking at these too
http://4xspower.com/products/
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-07-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
I've been trying to get my hands on some Kinetiks for a while now and have heard the same thing.

Brett do the Deka batteries come in different case sizes? I'm limited in height where I want to put them. I was looking at just going with a couple of Trojan 6v but they are a little too tall for the application. I don't mind shelling out a little more money for a good product but I want it to fit.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-07-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Newty, in general most batteries manufacturers have very similar options and sizes of cases. The standard size people would use in a boat with stock batteries are group 24 or group 27. 27 being the longer battery. A group 31 is a standard size for class 8 trucks and is only slightly bigger than the 27. So a group 24 in one manufacturer should be very close if not exactly the same size as other manufacturer's group 24. Here is a link to Deka's Marine AGM batteries. look at the 8A27M or the 8A31DTM. For comparison sake a lot of people use Optima group 34 blue tops. Those are actually smaller than the group 24 and have similar specs to Deka's group 34 AGM, which isn't listed on the Marine spec sheet but they do make one.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0245.pdf
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-07-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Brett,
How much do those Deka's cost?

Newty,
If you are looking for a great battery in a small size try odyssey. They are comparable to Kinetic but smaller. There is a distributor guy in Portland that I called and he just dropped one off at a Baxter Auto Parts. I had them for one year and was real happy, but they are pricey, but he was willing to match other prices I gave him for high end batteries.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-07-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
8A24M-Group 24 79 20AH rating-$141.65
8A27M-Group 27 92 20AH rating-$167.03
8A31DTM-Group 31 105 20AH rating-$183.78

One of our salesmen worked with the city of Seattle on batteries and I believe they were thinking about using Odyssey because they have a really long warranty. The problem was that the Odyssey batteries required a higher charge rate than any alternator is going to put out. At least in a tournament boat application. Then they wouldn't warranty the batteries. I will ask our salesman to verify that was Odyssey.

Oh yeah, Deka is releasing a new price sheet in February so prices will be going up some then.

(Message edited by polarbill on January 07, 2010)
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-07-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
only 2 battery manufactures in usa, that makes all batteries for companies

johnson controls, and i forget the other one

(Message edited by justintime on January 07, 2010)
Old     (hms9805)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-07-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Brett, I think you and I have something in common. I sell Deka batteries here in Wichita, KS and they are excellent batteries. They have a new Intimidator line that is similar to Optima that you might want to take a look at.
Old     (hms9805)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-07-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Also from what I've heard Johnson Controls who makes Optima batteries moved the manufacturing plant to Mexico and now their warranty has dropped.
Old     (hms9805)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-07-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/1143.pdf

This is the Intimidator line

If you need anymore information, pricing or contacts there in Washington let me know.

bp195@batteriesplus.com

(Message edited by hms9805 on January 07, 2010)

(Message edited by hms9805 on January 07, 2010)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-07-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Just in time, there are more than 2 battery manufacturer's in the US. The 4 main battery companies in the US are Deka East-Penn, Delphi, Johnson Controls and Exide. Johnson, delphi and Exide manufacture some batteries in the USA but a lot of their stuff is manufactured outside of the USA. There are a few other smaller manufacturer's that make their batteries in the USA but are what you would call small player's in the market. Deka makes almost all of their batteries out of their plant in Pennsylvania. The only batteries they don't make in the USA are some value line motorcylce batteries. This is part of the reason they are OEM in Harley, Polaris, Paccar, Freightliner, etc.... Another nice thing about Deka is they manufacture their own lead acid batteries, AGM, GEL, golf cart batteries, etc...

Delphi makes AC-Delco and Ever-Start. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries.

Deka makes their own line plus some other rebranded batteries. I know one of which is West Marine AGM series.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-07-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
Eric, in the past we have sold Delphi, AC-Delco and now Deka. They have been the best by far out of those batteries. The Deka Sea Mate is basically the same thing as the Intimidator line but has the marine dual terminals. That is why I usually recommend those. I wouldn't be surprised if the Optima plants were moved to Mexico. The Deka AGM's are every bit as good as the Optima's. The other problem with Optima's are not really deep cycle batteries. They are more a dual purpose battery.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-07-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
thanks for that

i got my info from the battery-dude on iboats, who works for JC
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       01-12-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
After much consideration I and talking with a lot of guys I went with 3 Deka Group 31 AGM's.
Brett Yates (polarbill) with Blanchard Auto Electric was very helpful in finding what I needed and answering a lot of my questions about my high amp alternator and charging system.
I'm sure I'll be very happy with my new toys.