Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-03-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Hi,

Looking to buy one of those two boats. The centurion is an 2004 and the moomba is a 2006. They are in the same condition with approx the same hours and roughly the same options.

Centurion is 2G $ less, but both at a fair price.

What do you think?

thanks
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
I have an 04 Lightning and am happy with it. If you add weight over stock (for wake: about 800 in rear, stock center, and 300-400 under bow seats)it has a great surf wave and respectable wake but the wake is pretty touchy with weight placement. Been behind the equivalent of the Outback V which I believe is the same as the older LSVs and like the wake behind it too. The Cent wake is steeper and has a deeper v which handles chop well and more freeboard so it feels like a little bigger boat. I considered the LSV outback V too when I was shopping.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-04-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
I have spent a ton of time in both boats and owned 5 Centurions. 2 Hurricane/Lightnings. 2 Cyclones and an Avy.
First off you have to decide on what you are going to use the boat for and what is priority. I rode a majority in the past on a lake that could get nasty during the day. You get hammered getting to the riding spot by huge waves.

The Outback V will win in straight up wakeboard wake. It has a great shape and with the hydraulic wakeplate give a very diverse peak shape. However you have to weight it down pretty good. The boat sits lower to the water than the Lightning and the seats are lower inside as well. Surfwake is also great. However if you are on a rough lake you will get beat up and have to watch the bow.

The Lightning wake is solid. However it will not have the potential to get as huge and clean as the Outback V. It is very steep and the boat MUST HAVE A HYDRAULIC WAKEPLATE TO EVEN BE CONSIDERED. The wake is very finiky, but when dialed is very vert and will send you straight up. That is the trade off you take for the ride due to the hull design. Surf wake is also great. The ride of the Lightning is super solid in rough water and the boat barely even flexes with their ICS construction. The seats and seating are a bit more plush than the Moomba and are much more comfortable.

Again if you looking for the best wake alone.......Moomba for for sure, its wake can get meaty...........if you are looking for the best do it all kind of boat (cruising,skiing,boarding,tubing, hanging out, handling rough water) the edge goes to the Centurion.

It's not that the Centurions wake is crap, it just only has the capability to get intermediate rider capabilities whereas the Moomaba has enough to satisfy advanced riders as well.

Power plants are both solid as is the construction of both.

The Centurion will also feel much bigger inside as well

(Message edited by xstarrider on January 04, 2010)
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-04-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks! That's giving me a pretty good idea of what we are talking about.

I'm new to wakeboarding, and actualy, i will use also the boat for cruising and other watersports.

Also, I'd like to know wich one has the best resale value?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-05-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
Not sure where you are located but out west Centurions and Moombas will hold their value pretty well. In the midwest Centurion tends to drop a litle due to the fact there is next to zero dealer service and retailers.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Bought my first Cent for $20K and sold it 2-3 years later for $19,200. Individual results may vary.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-05-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Jonathan,
I have to agree with everything Swatguy said, he is right on the money.

I chose the Moomba LSV, its the same hull as the 2006 Outback from what I understand.
You have to sacj it pretty heavy but it develops an great wake, great surfing wake as well.

The Centurions I see constantly on my lake are very nice but just don't seem to have the large wake. I see some pretty good boarders behind them so I have to guess they know how to weight the boat properly.

Either way I think you will be happy. Make sure they both have the upgraded motors in them, up around 320 hp. You will need that power when you start adding ballast.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-06-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
The standard motor on the Centurion was the Merc 350 Towsports. Ths is an EFI engine with some meat. That wil do for sure with anything you throw at it.

The standard engine on the Moomba was a carb. Not fuel injected. It will work fine, but resale will take a hit (not too many peopl want carb motors thes days) and if you lan in adding ballast you will want to find a Moomba with the upgraded EFI version. Believe it was the Indmar Assault back then as well
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-06-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Its fuel injected dood.know what your talking about#1 and#2 its almost the same engine as was standard on m.c. boats.......geeeeez
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-07-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
We looked at moomba's in 2006 and the base engine was the 310 carb. Most dealers automatically upped to the 325 EFI Assult. This is your deciding factor.

A new prop on either boat will help with added ballast.

Swatguy is right on about everything really.

Centurion has snap-out carpet which is great with kids.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-07-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Drew,

you obviously have no clue what you are talking about, but thanks for the retarded post with zero things correct. Mastercraft uses a different egine then Moomba and Centurion. Sure the blocks are similar, but no where near identical.

Centurion didn't change is powerplant until around 08 an 09 with a different option then the Merc, however the Merc was still standard. Moomba's now are fuel injected as a base, but back at the years he's looking Carbs were the standard.

Mastercraft used the TBI motor and the MCX and the LTR back then. The standard engine on a Mastercraft for the most part depending on the model is the RTP, and the next upgrade in the MCX.

Drew
Thanks for playing, and showing your stupidity. Consider yourself informed doooooood!

(Message edited by xstarrider on January 07, 2010)