Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    DoubleUpDisaster            08-06-2020, 5:32 AM Reply   
Hey WW, I’m looking for my first boat. I grew up wakeboarding behind the family deck boat, then some friends’ Tige 20v, and a 22ve. We started surfing the 20v in 2006, back when it was an all-hands-on-deck effort to get a surfable wave. Life happened, I was out of the game for a while, but I’m now in a position to buy a boat for my young family. Here are my conditions of use:

65k budget, less is of course better
Less than 23’ per association regulation
Integrated ballast and surf system (i.e. no suck gates, no throwing tsunami pumps overboard)
Clean low-speed wakeboard wake to teach my young kids how to ride
I’d like to believe we’ll be 50/50 wake/surf, but the reality is we’ll probably be 30/70.
We might occasionally ski, but the slalom wake is not a consideration.
Boat will live on a lift, so it’s more of a tow boat than a house boat. Lots of storage is appreciated but not critical.
Typical crew will be 4 adults and a 2-4 small kids.
Tower will probably never be folded.
I’m mechanically inclined, but I’ll be learning how to work on this boat.
I will be teaching my wife how to drive a boat in whatever we buy.
We plan to keep it for a few years until we’re comfortable with ownership, then trade up to something like a used G21.

I realize this is the worst time in history to buy a boat, but I’m not getting any younger so want to pick something up this off-season. I was focused on ‘12-‘13 SAN210’s for a long time based on what I’ve read here and on the other forums - I’ve never even been in a Nautique, but everybody’s comments on build quality, wake, and versatility attract me. I’m also considering slightly newer A22/T22’s. I sat in a ‘20 T22 yesterday, and I thought it was ok, but I’ve read that the build quality wasn’t the same even two years ago.

Questions:
1. Visiting the Nautique dealer seems like a pointless endeavor since they can’t show me a boat that’s been out of production for seven years. How do I even know what I want if I can’t sit in, drive, and ride behind these slightly older boats? Does demoing a ‘20 A22 or T22 mislead me when I’m realistically looking at a ‘15 or ‘16?
2. Are there any years to avoid on the Axis boats?
3. What other models should I consider? Craz? NXT22? Tigé something?
4. Word is the wedge sucks gas. Realistically, how much more gas vs a 210/Craz/NXT22?
5. Is there a real difference between a paddle wheel vs GPS speed control?
6. How much should the dealer network guide my decision when I have an out-of-warranty boat? There is a Nautique/Supra dealer on my lake, and Malibu, MC, and Tigé dealers close by. I have casual friendships with a few people at the Malibu and MC dealerships.

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-06-2020, 9:12 AM Reply   
1. They still make the 210. They really didn’t change a whole lot on the 210 hull in 2014. They basically cut notches in the hull so the NSS isn’t a bolt on and made a few minor tweaks. Aside from NSS, a 2008 210 is not substantially different than a 2020 210. That they still make the 210 and it’s so close to the 2008 and later models is telling all by itself. (2007 is a weird year. Same hull. Awful interior layout closer to the 220 in style.)
2. Don’t know
3. Most of my other knowledge is on 23’ and up boats. Can’t help you here.
4. Don’t know
5. Only if you’re in a river. Paddle wheel is still king there. Some of the GPS speed controls have mechanisms to make up for richer current but they’ll never be as accurate a wheel.
6. My boat is a 2011 and I still use the dealership a couple of times per year for various stuff. It’s not as important as new but make sure it won’t be a pain to go there in the future if you need a dealer-specific item or service.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2020, 10:53 AM Reply   
I have never ridden behind an Axis but I have ridden behind many 210s and loved them. We used a suck gate on my 2000 210 and it threw a wonderful wave. If you find a great boat without an integrated surf system, I say go for it and use a suck gate until you've found the perfect integrated system to add to your boat.

I can't comment on Axis's values over time but I sold my 210 for $2,000 more than I paid for it after 6 years of ownership.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-06-2020, 11:23 AM Reply   
My friend had a 2017 Axis T22 with the surf gate. It was a really good wake on both sides and fun wakeboard wake with the plug n play installed. The only thing bad was it was very difficult (steering) to drive regular footers - I assume it was prop rotation.

Another friend had a 2012 Axis A22 without surf gate. Really good wake, but he had trouble with some wake shapers working and size of the platform. He listed it and it was really good. He also had the floating wedge, which allows it to sit in an ideal position. I believe it led to better gas consumption and less likelihood of it getting destroyed. I have used the power wedge before and it is difficult to adjust it correctly for wakesurfing.

I think Nautiques have the best build and finish. The wake is good on the SAN 210 (really can't go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned). The one thing to consider is if it has the surf system (NSS) or not. That goes for any of them, resale was difficult on my friend's Axis because 2013 had the Surf Gate and his 2012 did not.

I like the GPS speed control because of its accuracy and calibration, but the paddlewheel is ideal when there is current in the water.