Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-23-2021, 5:39 AM Reply   
It is a common injury and I am looking for some wakeboard specific experience.

I believe that I partially tore it a few years back lifting, but I polished it off wakeboarding a few weeks ago. I tore it on a Saturday and had the surgery that Thursday. They used a bit of an allograph to thicken the tendon (because of the old injury), but my tendon is actually screwed in place. I get my cast off tomorrow and then I move to mobility brace, but I don't know how long yet.

How long will I be in the brace and what will I be allowed to do from week 2-6? What is the time frame to get back on the board? I'm not too worried about the discomfort, but when am I out of the fragile window and can start pounding on it?

I've been told that the recovery is 6-8 weeks, but does that mean 6 weeks til I'm ridding or 6 weeks until I can do 12oz curls with that arm?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-23-2021, 5:45 PM Reply   
My wakeboarding buddy had a torn biceps tendon a couple of summers ago and had surgery, but I am not sure of the specifics of his injury vs yours... I do know that his was reattached at the shoulder. He wore it in a sling for a while and then he basically took the summer off from wakeboarding and he just surfed where he could use the other arm to get up and and then toss the rope...
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-07-2021, 6:16 AM Reply   
I found out about a week ago that another month had been added to my sentence. When I "partially tore" it years ago I actually ruptured the tendon and that contributed to the failure. They had to use an allograph so I am now 10-12 weeks for recovery. I'll be a 4 weeks in tomorrow.

That said, the cast came off. I maintained a lot of mobility and it honestly feels better every few hours. Against any doctor's orders, I did a little wake surf with my brace locked and only using my other hand to get up. Just a little cruising to get wet. I probably shouldn't try to take a fall at this point.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2021, 10:21 PM Reply   
Stupid is as stupid does. Best of luck not continuing to be an idiot in a whole new way.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2021, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Stupid is as stupid does. Best of luck not continuing to be an idiot in a whole new way.
Stay in your lane, homie. There are wakeboarders out here.
Old     (Jacob)      Join Date: Sep 2017       07-17-2021, 2:01 PM Reply   
A few years back I did the splits while wakeskating and ended up partially tearing my hamstring. This was in mid to late July and I couldn't wait to get back on the water.

Luckily I was friends with a physical therapist, so I had him take a look at it. When he told me I needed to sit out the next 5 weeks, I was floored. The summer would be pretty much over at that point. I've had much worse injuries, and quite frankly there was no way I was going to wait that long.

But he explained to me, very clearly, why that would be a huge mistake. He told me that the worst injuries he's seen have come from people who initially sustained lesser injuries but didn't heal/rehab them properly. In my case, I was likely to end up doing severe damage to my hamstring - we're talking a full tear or even tearing the hamstring muscle completely off of the bone.

At that point I'd be looking at months of down time, possibly surgery. I started having flashbacks of ACL recovery. Needless to say, I patiently waited for the next 5 weeks and slowly eased back into riding.

So I guess what I'm trying to tell you is: Be smart. Don't be a short term thinker. You'll likely regret it otherwise.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2021, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Stay in your lane, homie. There are wakeboarders out here.
....some really dumb ones too.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-18-2021, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A few years back I did the splits while wakeskating and ended up partially tearing my hamstring. This was in mid to late July and I couldn't wait to get back on the water.

Luckily I was friends with a physical therapist, so I had him take a look at it. When he told me I needed to sit out the next 5 weeks, I was floored. The summer would be pretty much over at that point. I've had much worse injuries, and quite frankly there was no way I was going to wait that long.

But he explained to me, very clearly, why that would be a huge mistake. He told me that the worst injuries he's seen have come from people who initially sustained lesser injuries but didn't heal/rehab them properly. In my case, I was likely to end up doing severe damage to my hamstring - we're talking a full tear or even tearing the hamstring muscle completely off of the bone.

At that point I'd be looking at months of down time, possibly surgery. I started having flashbacks of ACL recovery. Needless to say, I patiently waited for the next 5 weeks and slowly eased back into riding.

So I guess what I'm trying to tell you is: Be smart. Don't be a short term thinker. You'll likely regret it otherwise.
Good advice.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-19-2021, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

I'm 6 weeks post-op and saw my surgeon last Thursday. I have 100% mobility. He said to start working any pushing exercises at whatever level feels comfortable and I should start at 5lbs on pulling exercises (rows, curls, etc) and add 5lbs every week until I am at full strength (around 12 weeks out).

He said that I can start riding the board and testing the comfort level at 10 weeks and go to full-on at 12 weeks as pain and strength building allows. At 12 weeks, the risk of re-injury is about the same as it was pre-op. At 24 weeks, it will be stronger than it was originally due to the allograph.

Realistically, I will stretch my return to wake boarding over 10-14 weeks. I'll take a month to ride with no weight, on a short rope and reduced speed. Might as well work the fundamentals and save the gas money. That will put me into fall riding at full-form a little after labor day.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-28-2021, 11:09 AM Reply   
Just like a blown knee (ACL) or any ligament or tendon tear you are really not fully healed for at least 9 months. Yes some heal faster than others and yes there are techniques by professional football and basketball players that speed up that process but as I am sure you have read many times going out to early and putting stress on a tendon (even if it doesn't hurt) is not the best idea. Sure many younger people feel perfectly fine at 4 months but many at that point go out and blow it out again. I have seen it several times. I am no doctor but I wouldn't push it for at least 6 months, nor would over train it trying to get it back in shape quickly. I did this on one of my knees and it took me longer to recover than it should have due to me causing inflammation.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-29-2021, 7:00 AM Reply   
I think most people misunderstood my first post. I want to get back to the water as soon as possible, but safely. The recovery question really went both ways: What does recovery mean? The doctor said 6-8 weeks originally, but was that 6-8 weeks before I could pick up a coffee cup and it would be 6 months until I wakeboard or 6-8 weeks and I will be like it never happened. I was trying to get my brain wrapped around whether or not the season could be salvaged or if I should right it off.

The doctor has cleared me to workout and slowly train for strength. He said that wake surfing should not be a problem as long as I am not yanking on the handle (my right hand doesn't even touch the handle).
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-29-2021, 3:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I think most people misunderstood my first post. I want to get back to the water as soon as possible, but safely. The recovery question really went both ways: What does recovery mean? The doctor said 6-8 weeks originally, but was that 6-8 weeks before I could pick up a coffee cup and it would be 6 months until I wakeboard or 6-8 weeks and I will be like it never happened. I was trying to get my brain wrapped around whether or not the season could be salvaged or if I should right it off.

The doctor has cleared me to workout and slowly train for strength. He said that wake surfing should not be a problem as long as I am not yanking on the handle (my right hand doesn't even touch the handle).
Excellent question! Unfortunately the answer is "it depends". Let's say you're an older rider (40+). You may find that it never fully heals to original, and you'll always have to stretch/warm up and keep it strengthened. With that said, a gradual and considerate approach should be followed. I had a terrible hip tear (same sort of incidents where I hurt it and didn't rest properly) and it took me 9 months of strengthening before I was ready to ride a board with confidence, and probably half a season after that where I started to throw all my old tricks with abandon. Take it slow because being stuck off the water really sucks.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-26-2021, 11:49 AM Reply   
Today is a 11 weeks post op. I took a set at 55ft, 19mph and no ballast session Sunday and Tuesday. I played it safe and felt no pain or discomfort at all. Over the next few weeks I will turn up the dial.

I worked out today at pre-op weights and it feels good, actually better because I think I had a pre-existing bicep injury that contributed to the tear. Should get my full release next week.

I really struggled with finding any good information about wake boarding and bicep tears. Hopefully this will be useful for someone who finds themself in the same spot. If you do and have questions, please hit me up. 832-703-7473
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       08-26-2021, 5:27 PM Reply   
Great to hear mate! Hope the recovery from here is quick and full.