Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have an '05 x star and the last time out the speedo stopped working. The perfect pass speed works fine. The ballast gauges aren't working either but that has been like this for awhile. I was thinking maybe a loose ground wire but I don't know where to start. I have a transducer with a paddle wheel, temp and depth (PerfectPass) does the operate the analog speed also? Any suggestions? My local shop is over 200 miles away.
Old     (WakeNasty)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-20-2014, 3:57 PM Reply   
Start with the pickups. Mine were clogged when I bought my boat, I cleaned them out and now it works great.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-20-2014, 5:30 PM Reply   
My right side analog speed on my sport nautique wasn't working last year either. I took a small pin and dug in the pickup and pulled out a lot of crud. Not sure of the newer boats use the same deal for the speedos or if it's all GPS like the PP.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
If you do have old pitot tube speedos, get a 3/32 drill bit and stick it in a cork. Then throw it in your glove box and every time one clogs, break out the drill bit on a cork, give it a quick clockwise spin and it should be clear. The drill bit will pull the debris out instead of just mashing it up into the tubes. If it gets really bad, you can pull the line off the back of the speedo and blow it out with an air compressor. Of course, you should be on land if your going to do that.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
FWIW, I'm not exactly sure when the vast majority stopped using Airguide speedos but, it's been a long time(10yrs?). Most of them ran a thru hull paddle wheel and some used a transom mount. The wheels get stuck a lot.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-21-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Our 06 MC used a paddle-wheel only, and I'm pretty sure the 05's did as well, so I doubt there's a pitot to dig junk out of. Does you PP run off the paddlewheel, or has it been upgraded to GPS. If it's off the paddle-wheel and is working fine, it sounds like a gauge issue, signal issue between paddlewheel and gauge, or power issue to the gauge.

If your PP is a GPS unit, then your paddlewheel could be the culprit, as they've been known to go bad. Get underneath and make sure it spins freely. You can also manually turn them (compressed air or hose are easiest) on the trailer/lift to check the response at the gauge
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks guys.
Tom your right on, paddle wheel controls both.
Just got off the phone with MC tech support, I'll be digging in under the dash looking for loose or corroded connections.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2014, 2:30 PM Reply   
Find your ground bar. I've had grounds come loose from there.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2014, 8:06 AM Reply   
Update...I figured out that the speedometer was bad. Called Medallion and got a little info but was told I need to talk to someone else for pricing, she'd call me back. That took over a week. Four weeks + past and I just got the new gauge yesterday. I will say the gauge looks good, just like the old one, now to see if it works.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2016, 12:36 PM Reply   
Another update to the speedometer issue.
I ordered a new speedometer from Medallion and installed it at the end of the season '14, didn't use the boat for a year so I never got to see if that fixed it (my buddies got new boats last year and we've been using theirs). Took the boat out last week and the new speedo didn't work either. I made some calls, one to PP in Nova Scotia and was told to try the speedometer adjustment switch. Turns out that was it, a $3 switch went south. Easy fix if you know what to check. I thought this might help out someone else.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-01-2016, 1:37 PM Reply   
"speedometer adjustment switch" - Do you mean the knob for tuning the reported speed?
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-01-2016, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish6942 View Post
"speedometer adjustment switch" - Do you mean the knob for tuning the reported speed?
I guess so, mine has a switch to adjust the reported speed on the speedo up or down.