Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-13-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
Well, my first season with my boat I ran a kicker 6500.2 HLCD setup. And the second season I stepped up to the Kicker 6500.2 HLCD six-pack. It was pretty good for a middle tier system. I powered the Kickers with a PPI P600.2 at 2ohms. It did great. and I probably could have been satisfied with it, but I had a deal fall into my lap for a pair of REV410's. The more I looked at it, the more the REV's were really a great setup for my boat. The hang height of the 410's is actually better than the REV10's and the depth ended up working out just fine with my cargo bimini with NO loss of board carrying space. I was also able to use the fixed clamps to further keep my hang height as low as possible.

I was already really happy with the PPI P600.2 for my Kickers, and was actually pretty excited that I'd be able to leverage that amp for the REV410's. I added a second PPI P600.2 so that each REV410 has its own amp. The amps are spec'd at 600 RMS bridged at 14.4v and 400RMS bridged at 12v. So really a great matchup to the REV410's with a bit of extra headroom.

I also rewired my batteries and amps so that I have 1/0 for all the batteries and perko switch, 1/0 all the way to the sub amp, and 1/0 to the cabin/tower distro blocks with very short runs of 4 gauge to those 3 amps. All the wiring is OFC. I also added a 3rd group 29 battery.

I have LED rings and LED Angel eyes for the cones on my cabin speakers and my subs, and had the same on the kicker tower speakers. So I wanted to still have LED lighting on my WS tower speakers. However, I just couldn't swallow $125 a pair for the WS rings. I thought about having my own rings custom cut and making my own (I'd have to do two rings to accommodate the stepped approach that WS uses). But in the end, I decided that I'd go with a set of LED angel eyes for the 410's.

I sourced some SMD 3528 angel eyes that were 110mm diameter that would fit perfectly inside the grills. then it was just a matter of attaching them and wiring up positive and negative. easy to do, and under $30 for all 4 angel eyes.

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-13-2016, 11:15 AM Reply   
And for those that are curious, here's the LED's on the Subs and cabin speakers:

I also have the illuminated LED cupholders like Malibu put on their M235.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2016, 11:24 AM Reply   
The angel eyes is a good idea. I'd been thinking or how I could DIY a set of rings but ultimately just left it for now. This is a good idea though. May have to revisit it.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-13-2016, 11:32 AM Reply   
LEDs look good, but you really need a proper amp(s) for a pod setup like the Rev-410.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-13-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
LEDs look good, but you really need a proper amp(s) for a pod setup like the Rev-410.
Really? why wouldn't the amps I have be just fine? The REV410 is spec'd at 400 watts RMS. The amps I have are giving 600 watts RMS at 14.4v and 400 watts RMS at 12v. Sounds about perfect to me.

The PPI Phantom amps have been bench tested by vendors to deliver rated or better than rated power. There are already a handful of others that have been running PPI Phantom amps on other Rev speakers...

Any compelling reason to spend 4+ times the money on brand name amps?
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       06-13-2016, 4:41 PM Reply   
Because if it doesn't say Wetsounds on the amp they aren't proper!!! LOL.

Great job man, looks great!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-13-2016, 4:41 PM Reply   
Its not the wattage, way deeper than that. Ill PM you.
Old     (dusty2221)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-13-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
Post it here, I'd love to read myself also.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       06-13-2016, 7:35 PM Reply   
Trayson... Where did you source the lights from? This looks like a great alternative! I noticed you used wire straps to attach the lights to the grills... Why not some kind of glue or double-sided tape for a cleaner look?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-13-2016, 7:54 PM Reply   
Hey Dusty. Mike told me that some of the more expensive amps have a feature set where it'll sum the L&R inputs internally in the amp. And he said that my PPI Amps don't do that and the L&R signals are meeting "at the voice coils" which reduces sound quality.

He recommended that instead of daisy chaining the input of amp #2 off the RCA output of Amp #1, to simply get a pair of RCA splitters and split/sum my signals BEFORE each of the amps. and any loss in line level signal strength will be minimal and likely wouldn't even be noticed since I'm running a 420SQ before my amps.

I figure for $10 in RCA's, it can't hurt to try splitting it that way versus daisy chaining the amps like I have them now.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-13-2016, 8:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
Trayson... Where did you source the lights from? This looks like a great alternative! I noticed you used wire straps to attach the lights to the grills... Why not some kind of glue or double-sided tape for a cleaner look?
I got them off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252034894521...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

On my polk audio speakers, I was able to glue them on. However, when I did them on my kicker tower speakers, the glue failed (after I had everything mounted up so I used black zip ties and you couldn't see them on the black grills. On the subs, the zip ties are hidden so you don't see them from the front. basically I opted for a 'strap' connection rather than a glue connection. I guess I could have tried something different on the WS grills, but I did it quick. I've had mixed results using a hot glue gun. I've found that on some LED's that the heat from the LED's actually melt the hot glue (I had this problem trying to add LED strips to the back of my flat screen TV in my family room at home).

Yeah, I probably should have used some kind of heat resistant glue on the REV410's. I just got a little hasty.
Old     (Wakeboyo2)      Join Date: May 2016       06-14-2016, 11:43 AM Reply   
Damn that looks clean. I've been slowly hooking up my rev 10s and amps for the past few weeks just so many wires!! And not much room to mount 3 amps in my 05 x2
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-14-2016, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeboyo2 View Post
Damn that looks clean. I've been slowly hooking up my rev 10s and amps for the past few weeks just so many wires!! And not much room to mount 3 amps in my 05 x2
Thanks. here's how I did my amps. I bought a sheet of 1/4" expanded core plastic that I'm going to use as a trim panel on some stainless steel standoff spacers. I'll have cutouts for each of the amps and do some blue LED backlighting. so that will cover up the wiring that you see in this pic.

The PPI amps are pretty small, so that helps.

Old     (Wakeboyo2)      Join Date: May 2016       06-14-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yeah the smaller amps would help. I've been upgrading most of my amps. I still have the old JL that came with the boat powering the in boats and WS syn 4 for the pair of rev 10s and ordered a new Rockford sub and ampp yesterday so I'm hoping that amp will give me more room. If j can get my set up to look like yours as it is now I'd be happy

I got the led rings and the clear grills for the revs they were hard to swallow lol
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2016, 12:58 PM Reply   
are the angel eyes you got waterproof? Any concerns with them getting wet? Looks great!