Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
did u see the end of it though?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-24-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
huh?
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
the end wasnt so happy
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-24-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
...do tell
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-24-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
Shane doesn't seem happy on the pics.....
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-24-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
plzz tell the WHOLE story
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-24-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
Shane doesn't seem happy" - Probably because he is sporting a bum knee right now. Apparently he's in the area to get it operated on..
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Although feeling bad about saying something liek that and than having to face the man, I think Shane was just bummed about the leg. He spent almost the whole day with Aaron and possey. Aaron's was cool about it so I am sure they are cool. It took every restraint I own not to call him out on the Mic and give him a few thoughts of my own. Those that were there can tell you how badly I wanted to mouth off. It was quite the scene.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-25-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
I don't understand...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-25-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
That would bum me out too.I didn't know about his knee.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Ryan... Read the Shane Alliance interview two mags back I believe.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
The cliff note version is that SHANE publically (in WBM-canada) called out Aaron as not be deserving of coverage in mags. He states that the top pros should grace the mags as they have earned it and guys like Aaron have'nt paid their dues. He also talks about guys doing "basic" tricks are not the same as inventing and doing significantly harder tricks, which is what should be in the mags. They are fellow LF teamates and Aaron has been riding for like 10 years so he has more than paid his dues. Than Shane shows up this weekend and is "stuck" on a boat with Aaron.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-25-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
Why do west coast riders have such a chip on their shoulder? Granted Shane isn't a model either but seriously, take the high ground. Delta Sessions 2 is one of the best vids of the year. DPC should get film crew of the year IMO. Take it easy.

I thought we were supposed to be having fun . . .
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
West coast riders have a chip on their shoulder?

How is that?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Correction..
East coast riders have a chip on their shoulder because we can make a method look better than their super whirly five to tootsie cooksie roll. If we're lucky, they'll throw a hoochie glide on their way in.
Rock on east coast.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-25-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Keith Lyman, Ben Greenwood, Shane Bonifay, Danny Harf,Collin Harrington, Etc. the list goes on...

All these guys can or could do any so called "West Coast" move with as much style as anyone out there.

I think you used to see a difference in styles but I think it's almost completely disappeared as the sport has progressed.

I tend to like the slow mellow grabbed moves a little more but that's probably because they are closer to my level. A huge 9 or even 1080 is cool as crap in my book but I am nowhere near even thinking about trying something like that.

People argue that it doesn't look quite as good but you only have so much time in the air to get some of the huge tricks done. I think the rider who is doing a great job is Harf. He hucks anything in the book and it still looks stylish. ALthough I have my preferences, I respect any kind of good riding. as long as you're throwing the stuff you like to do.

This West vs East coast thing is stupid.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-25-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Maybe Buffalow took it personally on BEHALF of all riders? (regarding shanes comments).

I remember reading them too, and they were way out of line.

As an "inventor" of tricks or such an "og" as he likes to think of himself....Shane should be an ambassador of the sport and I rarely if ever think he is.
Old    wakebmxer            09-25-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Aaron and Shane "burried" the Hatchet at the Reno stop awhile back. Shane said he got a lot of crap for saying it and he said it before he got to know Aaron. I am sure he still meant what he said he just regrets calling someoine out. I dont think they are gonna be lovers or anything but they get along.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Chip on our shoulders or not, what Shane said was inappropriate. I have a hard time understanding his frustration when he made that comment. It also goes to show that he doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to what's going on in the sport outside of Orlando. Aaron is a true OG. He's been riding for the love of the sport for too long to remember. He is also very deserving of any attention he's garnered. He's one of the smoothest, most progressive riders I've ever seen. There's a lot to be learned from that. He isn't about going out and sticking the latest "cool move" (though he usually has those in his bag if the camaras are turned off). He goes out and rides super big and super clean every time. Everything he does is grabbed and legit, and the best part about Aaron is the fact that you'd never now he kills it the way he does by talking to him. The most down to earth, intelligent wakeboarder you're going to meet.

Nothing against Shane's talent, but when you're in the spot light like he is you have to sensor some of your thoughts. Right or wrong, that's part of being an ambassador of the sport.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-25-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
He's also still pretty young...I said a lot of stupid stuff in my early 20's. If I were smart enough to remember any of it, I would probably regret most of it.

There are a lot of class acts in the sport...many more in the non-pro ranks. It strikes me that the majority of those making them seem to be at the younger end of the spectrum. Lots of fame, money, sponsorships, and away from anyone who might monitor your "goings on" and keep you out of trouble. Sounds like the NBA or NFL doesn't it?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
I actually said nothing about east/west coast (for once). I too hold Shane to some responsibility for promoting our sport and the new kids. I have nothing personal against the kid and he has always been cool with me face to face, including this weekend. I would just like to see the top dogs paving the way of how to do things, not chopping down other riders. You would have never seen Jordan/Woods or any other leader do this. It was'nt even about any of a style thing. I have known Aaron since he started wakeboarding and so I did take it a little more personal than I had a right to, but I stand by my guys at all times!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Personally I took Shane's comment in a different way.

I looked at it like he used Aaron's name as an example rather than an exception. I know there are probably a few others that would have been a better choice but that ship has sailed.

I interpreted it more as a response to newcoming riders. Which seems even stranger to me. I say this due to the very similar sport of snowboarding. I know wakeboarding needs its own identity and direction but I look at snowboarding as the big brother of wakeboarding as far as progression concerned. With that said I think it makes a TON of sense to put fresh blood and new faces out in the public eye. I also think wakeboarding is at a tough place for pro athletes making a career out of riding. There isnt enough money in the industry to support a bunch of full time riders the way snowboarding does. It is a slippery slope between whats best for the sport, pros getting paid to ride everyday or new blood pushing the sport in their own ways; its a balancing act for progression on two fronts.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
wait... what did shane say?
Old     (peterd)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-25-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Forget all this talk about east-coast-west-coast, Shane-Aaron, new-school-old-school... the title of this post should be Dude Fest. Can some of our west coast girls help out Josh in his boat.
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
What Peter said +1.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-25-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Well, time to get flamed:

Does anyone honestly believe Danny, Rusty, Shane, Shawn, etc. couldn't go out and stick every single trick Aubrey can throw--even all two dozen method variations--but with bigger air, longer grabs, more legit pokes, better steez, and smoother landings? I wouldn't put it past Harf to do an Aubrey run blind-folded. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching Aubrey, and other West coast guys ride, but let's not pretend they're doing stuff the top East coasters are incapable of; they just choose not to (atleast not in videos).

There's some validity to Shane's comments, especially concerning Alliance Magazine. While I love their work, it's hard to deny they play favorites. Pull, for example, an Alliance production, is almost garunteed to have Ben Greenwood, Aaron Reed, Aaron Aubrey, or some combination thereof. Again, all amazing riders, but, if you were a non-wakeboarder watching Pull you'd think those were the only 3 guys that have ever strapped on a wakeboard. They've turned some of the most underrated guys in wakeboarding to some of the most overexposed. As the last remaining show with wakeboarding, I think they could do a little more to diversify their roster, further the sport, and get away from the "hashed out sounding" interviews every week (and no, I'm not implying anyone is on drugs; I just think they could find a few other people to speak on the behalf of our sport from time to time, so we're not made out to be complete morons)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-25-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
I couldn't agree more on the line up you'll see on pull which is whack.All great riders but let's mix it up people.

Now to think of it,Benny G. is on the X-star commercial as well.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-25-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
I can agree with your first paragraph Jeff, I believe that statement is very true and should end the east v. west forever.

I haven't seen PULL enough to comment on riders being over exposed, but I will say that the episodes I did see (tahiti and mexico) were really good. To me Pull is by far the best wakeboarding on tv. I only wish I could get it from my cable company.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-26-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
Pull is the SHIZ and so is JEff McKee I don't care if he can't do a toe 7 into a heel 9 to a toe 9. He can do a SICK indy T2B and I don't care if its surfing, mountain boarding, skateboarding, or wakeskating.....bcuz if its on TV and it involves a board I'll watch it. I once saw the late Steve Irwin wakesurf behind some 60 footer and get pulled in on a dingy on animal planet and guess what....I watched it. I live on the east and still admire the west for its strong grounding of trick legitimacy based on style.

And Bgreenwood is STILL underrated so even though he is over-exposed on pull he still deserves more as a rider.

Aaron Aubrey in alliance MAr/apr 05 in the montana story has a HUGE double grab 3 that I don't care who threw.... its NASTY!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-26-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
you said dingy
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Aubrey was on Pull? Haven't seen that. Jeff, I disagree with your statements about Alliance and their affiliation with pull.

If you don't like their mag, then don't read it. I think they give great coverage with some fresh faces. Everyone plays favorites sometimes.

As for East V. West... C'mon. This is wakeboarding. In case nobody knew it, Harf is from California, Sharpe and Rusty are from Canada, Greenwood and Lyman are from the northeast (I think New England?). East V. West is just stupid.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
"While I love their work, it's hard to deny they play favorites."

I never said I don't like Alliance, just offering a little critique. Chances are, no one will care what I have to say, but maybe someone with some standing will read this and take it under consideration (again, doubtful).

Aubrey has been on three episodes of Pull (that I've seen); I lost count of Greenwood. But yes, I agree, everyone does play favorites, so I guess I can't blame them for pushing "their" guys to the top even if people--like me--think their overexposure is lessening the freshness and "wow-factor" of their uncommon styles which Alliance is so fond of. To me, a big part of "style" is how seldom you see a particular trick. When it gets repetitive (even if only one guy can throw it, but it's shown all the time) it begins to lose its appeal.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-26-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
jerry! jerry! jerry!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
East vs West? Where are Tupac and Biggie?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
And, to be fair, Harf moved to Florida before he ever owned a wakeboard, so his style is pure Floridian, and Northeast is still East. I'm on your side though; I could care less where a rider comes from (I live in Texas, but picked up wakeboarding when I lived in Washington after seeing Brent Starr make one pass down my local lake) as long as he or she can rip. I just get tired of people saying West Coast guys make their methods look better than a Florida rider's moby 5 as if somebody from outside California isn't capable of throwing down the steeziest (yeah, I said it) grabbed 3's you've ever seen. I bet when then the top guys are just out having fun they throw a lot more basic "stylish" moves. In fact, the most stylish trick I've seen was Danny Harf's HS 3 to late method on the way down off a huge double-up in Butter Effect.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
jeff, are you sure about harf moving to florida before ever owning a wakeboard? he used to ride the delta and was riding doubleup boards before moving to orlando.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Ok, then he wasn't telling the truth on his Firsthand. He said he moved to Florida when he was 11 or so and picked up wakeboarding because it was the closest thing he could find to surfing. Maybe he meant he picked up wakeboarding in Cali to have something to do when he wasn't surfing, and really got serious about it when he moved to Florida. Who knows. Not that it matters anyway.

(Message edited by jcv on September 26, 2006)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
I think the East vs West thing developed out of the free-ride versus comp. riding era. Back when you had to have a trick sheet and Harris would throw an entire run of spins in rebellion to the scoring system.

Didnt Harris actually kind of get that ball rolling with WSR and WBM coverage of the old 20" plus stance, long rope lengths, tons of weight and fast speed? (which most pro's prescribe to now anyways). They also poked fun at gloves.

Things have melted together much more than they used to be if you ask me. Even though back then Thomas H. Scott B. and others were definitely more style oriented. They were kind of the outlaws trying to make a living on wakeboarding without having to compete. Wakeboarding was in its infancy back then continually going through identity issues.

At the end of the day we are all wakeboarders, and everybody who rides can bring something to the table. Its your personal opinion what looks good. I personally like Lyman, Benny G, and Harris.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
it wasn't harris. it was actually the "new school" riders; chase heavener, matt staker, etc.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-26-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
joe you mean "new crue"
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-26-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
To me this all reminds me of the old skate days when Vert and street skaters always talked bad about each other. 15 years later you don't hear a thing. In a few more years we will see it easier of a free rider to be able to support themselfs by riding.

Maybe one day there will be just no invert comps with big floaty spins and grabs with lots of stalled out blinds.

Then they could have a comp like we know them today. With the whirly 720.

Hopefully we would see Randy, Josh, Jeff Mcgee, Lyman and a few others now that would be a SICK comp.

Soon there will be a lot of room where a free rider could do clinics and boat demos. Also travel to other countries. Josh Smith has went to Japan a few times (he said that that they are treated like rock stars). The sport is still growing up.
Old    zcarnage            09-26-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Jeff- off topic but just wanted to agree with you on 2 points. 1: 3 to late method.. tremendous! 2: This was my first summer on Mason Lake, mostly just weekends. Brent Starr made a rare appearance past 9am one day when the lake was just beat(midday on a weekend).. Our boat was in full on beer and wakesurfing mode.. Starr comes out and is throwing huge grabbed bs180's etc, just finding lines and charging. The kind of stuff that gets me motavated. Again, tremendous..

As far as the rest of this discussion on style and tech. ability. I'll be out riding on American Lake tomorrow, letting my riding speak for it self, as I feel, in a sense, we all should.
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I don't know whats worse, the fact that this was even posted or the fact that everyone is still talking about it. For as much as most people on this web site talk down to people who think pro's are the sure likes to gossip about them.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Zachary, yep, it was on Mason Lake a few years ago. I was out wakeboarding pretty much my first time ever behind our old bass boat falling down and powerturning up a storm thinking this was the stupidest sport ever when he passed us like we were at a stand-still. At the time, I had no idea who he was or what he was throwing, but I knew I wanted to stick with wakeboarding a little longer. We must have been destroying his water, but he and his crew never gave us a look or acted bothered, always smiling and waiving. Couldn't have asked for a better introduction into the sport. It wasn't until a couple months ago that I put two and two together and realized it was him sticking R2R just as smoothly as he does today, and also that I went to high school with Bret V's little bro, Matt. I was in the middle of a huge wakeboarding scene and had absolutely no idea,
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
you created a profile for that, eastcoast? i could care less if i saw danny harf or any other pro in my local supermarket. i wouldn't even try to talk to them, nor would i give them a second glance (now if they were on the water, that's another story). just like i could care less if i saw katie holmes or some BS like that. they're just wakeboarders and certainly not above reproach, and nor is alliance
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Jeff actually my profile was created a few days ago after lurking for quite some time. You may very well think that way but there are plenty of people who claim they do but as soon as something like this goes down they are all over it. I think this whole thing was a childish act of look at me. And everyone played in to it. Sheep...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
were not allowed to argue the validity of someone's point without it being considered gossip? i don't care in the least if bill clinton hates chris wallace personally, but i'll still argue their points. i could care less if aubrey dislikes shane or if shane resents aubrey or whatever (these guys' personal lives aren't my business even if i wanted them to be), but isn't shane's point a reasonable discussion topic for a Wakeboarding forum? i don't think anyone is concerned about the man (men), more so the message

(Message edited by jcv on September 26, 2006)
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
You really feel this thread isn't full of gossip? My point is simple. I think that if you look at the timeline of everything that went down. You will find that a lot of big news was coming out in the industry and what is a better way to keep your name in the lime light then to stir up some everyone who claims they don't care about what pro's do/say/endorse played right into it.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
Let's see.

Eastcoast has 3 posts (all in this thread)
Vaaler has over 800.
Vaaler condescends to Eastcoast for being a newb

By that Logic, I guess Shane can say whatever he likes about Aubrey - he is more publicized and therefore his opinions are legit.

This thread started out ridiculous and has only gotten worse. CIE, do I still need to answer your question?
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
This thread has gotten really dumb!
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
Tim it was dumb to begin with.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Jeff Vaaler named dropped Katie Holmes in this thread . . .
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
and yet, chase keeps coming back.

hi chase!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Joe, I haven't seen you in awhile over here in dc.

Where's the love?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
i lurk in there all the time!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Spooky!

chase and Joe . . . a happy ending.

(Message edited by rockledge on September 26, 2006)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
...and the inevitable "this thread sucks", "i want the last five minutes of my life back", "i feel dumber for having read this", "i'm too mature for something like this (until someone talks bad about something i have an opinion on)" posts...hope everyone feels better about themselves now that we got that out of the way.

actually, name dropping would mean i saw and/or knew her. i was only using her as an example seeing how the kind of idiots who read enquirer or watch pat o'brien actually do care about her personal life. also, i never talked down to east coast for being a new poster; i thought (incorrectly) that he created a new profile specifically for this thread which i thought was odd for someone who thinks everyone who takes part in it is a sheep. 0 for 2, your batting average sucks
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-26-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
everyone knows "west coast is the best coast." Aubrey wins the east/west battle by default...we have a simple rhyme that puts it all on the table...it's kind of like calling "shotgun"
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
I think the east vs west thing goes way back, well before randy and his long rope. I guess the way I understand it, or see it, is influences were different earlier on, with a less board-sport oriented style coming out of FL (most likely due to the backgrounds of the riders coming up), vs. the heavy snowboard influence from the pacific north west, and even california. Josh smith, bill mccaffray, greg nelson, erich schmaltz--they all knew how to ride a snowboard well and they brought that influence to their riding. Byerly and other FL riders would head up to the NW to snowboard in the winter and that helped when it came to "spreading" the style, so to speak (though I've been told that scott was a style master even before he'd ride in the north west).

Later on the style thing was an issue with the "new crew" as someone (joe?) said. But that was a time where people really started to rebel against the three event/"waterski" background styled of riding, the wack points system and emphasis on raleys, and the whole anti-west palm attitude as well.

I personally love the whole idea of the way those north west riders were. There was this old article in WBM by tom james, and I just got the impression that wakeboarding was their lifestyle...I guess just from habits, style, music, fashion...I just think the north west was special in that regard.

So if anyone has the neptune wakeboards cd from 1995, PM me. :-)

Nowadays, you have more people riding a wakeboard that already ride other boards, like a skateboard or a snowboard, and they understand that mentality and they incorporate that style into their riding. So I don't buy into the east side vs. west side thing as much anymore, because anyone from any part of the country can have style and rip on a board. But of course, each coast still has their respective style reputation, and it does seem like attitudes about riding can differ from coast to coast (and I'm kind of basing that on josh smith's impression on the delta, and just random comments from other riders).

Anyway, gator was one of the first big name pros to sort of let go of the comp scene and just ride. Granted, he did cash in on the tours in europe. :-) I remember a quote from him in regards to one of their larger comps, and how he couldn't actually "have" the title because he was american, and his quote went something like, I don't care about the title, I just want their cash.

(Message edited by electricsnow on September 27, 2006)
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-27-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
i never understood why people would have a board in the rack without bindings. i have also seen a board in the rack with one binding. why is this?