Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
Well, I am officially retiring the tantrum. I partially tore my LCL and cracked my fibula a couple of years ago on this trick. Well, yesterday I hurt my knee again! I thought I blew my ACL, but after a CT and MRI it turns out I just have a deep bone bruise. (FYI... I have thrown the tantrum for years now and it was probably my biggest, cleanest trick. It really sucks to have to give it up.)

Anyone else have a certain trick that has injured them multiple times? I know when I posted a thread a while back, it seemed the tantrum was a trick that by far injured more knees.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-29-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that Walt. I also find that big tantrums into the flats hurt my knees, and I choose not to do them. It is kind of a weird rotation if you think about it that totally is going against the boat, making it really easy to tweak something. Start picking up raleys and then some glide tricks. You will get the same rush going big and they are surprisingly really easy on your body...once you learn them....
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       05-30-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
I'm guessing it is the front leg? I'm with you on that boat. Try doing it to revert. Just pass that handle while upsidedown and land switch. Keeps the bad knee in the back. I pretty much try to land everything that way now. Go for some 180 wings...off axis 180whatever the heck you want to call it these days.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
Mark, they hurt my back knee personally, but I agree with you on having him learn some 180 wings. Nothing feels as good as a nice big melan 180 wing.
Upload
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-30-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
Yeah, it was the front leg.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about that Walt. For me it's backside 3's, My right ankle sprained the first time, then tore ligaments/shifted bones the second. Evil trick.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-01-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have hurt my knees a couple times on the tantrum too. Bad trick for that
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-01-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Half cab roll .... 1 broken ankle. 1 ACL blown. :-(
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-01-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
tibial plateau fracture wake to wake.......mcl torn wake to wake................but I am still jumping just with a little more control.

i know....not very exciting.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       06-01-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
I doubt your hurt knee comes from the trick itself. As you said, its probably your biggest cleanest trick. The simple fact that you go bigger on this trick could be the problem. Also if its your biggest cleanest trick you probably do it more often than other tricks, so the probability you would hurt yourself while doing a tantrum is increased. I'm not trying to convince you to keeping doing them, I just don't want others to be scared away from this fun trick because they believe it is more dangerous than others. If you want to fear a trick, fear the raley.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-01-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
i can see what your point is joe^^^^^ but im a firm believer in high frequency = low risk. meaning the more consistent a trick is and is done the less chance of injury you have. but i do agree with you in the matter of going bigger with the trick because your comfort level means you open yourself up to bigger injury.

sorry to hear about the injury walt. i tried tannys for a day, bad sprain to the left knee, never came back to it. decides grabs, 1's and 3's were more my style and to leave the inverts to the more rubbery kids, lol. i.e. my big a-- wont go upside down!

on the same page as you though, my good friend has a dislocating shoulder issue with his tantrum, yah its gross when you put it back in every time he rides. tantrum was his biggest nicest trick. he didnt want to give it up so he modified it along with a couple other tricks. maybe thats your option. if you have the trick dialed. keep doing it just back it off and modify your landing a bit.
Old    petey20            06-03-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Broke my femur doing a tantrum in '06. I can safely say I have retired that trick...it's not worth it! Especially bc I need to be able to chase around my two boys now. Hard to do on crutches. I still love to wakeboard, but I've pulled the throttle back quite a bit...oh, and I'm getting old too :-)
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-03-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
Petey if you are getting old, I have one foot in the grave. I did not start wakeboarding till I was 35. You are 30? (according to your profile) I have had 2 broken ankles a ruptured disk and a blown ACL and feel like I am not "getting old"
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       06-03-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
Pulled my IT band last week on a tanny, tore some cartiligde on it last year, tore my acl on a scarecrow