Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-29-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
So I have an older X-star with a Zero Flex Tower on it. I am going to be putting a new tower on it with a month or so (if any tower manufactures are reading this need another team rider I am all yours!!!! PM me). At any rate, this tower is cracking along the cross supports pretty bad and is really starting to sketch me out. I took it to a metal fab shop and they told me they could weld a "boot" over the crack to stiffen up the tower until I can get a new tower installed. What they need to know is exactly what type of aluminum the tower is made out of. Does anyone have any clue where I can find this information?? I emailed Mastercraft and called my local deal so far without much luck Mastercraft has not responded yet and my local deal is clueless. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old     (gotair)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-29-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Is the zero flex made by new dimension? I can't remember off the top of my head. Could call the tower manufacturer as well.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-29-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Here is what you're lookging for as far as new tower that is "stock"

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/mastercraft/1999-2000_Prostar_205.html

and the material looks to be (at least on the the new dimensions tower) -- anodized 6061 aluminum tubing
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-29-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
my guess is that andy has the older zero flex tower which is known to crack where he is talking about.

I had the tower welded on both sides of my 00' xstar, but they did not add a boot, just welded the crack into a new big beefy fat weld.

The tower never had a problem after that.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-29-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
Dj is right I old tower. I am just trying to limp by until I can get a new tower installed or better yet just upgrade to a pickle fork in the next month or so. I still have no response from Mastercraft as to what type of aluminum is used in the tower.

Nick I think you nailed the type of aluminum needed to repair the tower.
Old     (rdmb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
Call Chad Long at New Dimension. He should be able to confirm the material but it should be 6061 T6 like Nick said. I thought they were supplying those towers back then.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-31-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
The aluminum is a 6463. Tell your welder it welds similar to 6061 with one big catch...it's anodized. So tell him to run hot.

It won't be a pretty weld unless they have experience welding anodized stuff. Good luck.