Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2013, 2:47 PM Reply   
Hello everyone. So this weekend I plan to install a blue sea 9001e battery switch in my 99 x star. I think I have everything straight, but wanted to check with you guys first. With respect to connections, I plan to do the following:

1. connect the red 2 gauge factory installed wire to the "common" post
2. connect the black 2 gauge factory installed wire to the negative terminal of my starting battery
3. connect the positive terminal of my starting battery to the "1" post
4. connect the the positive terminal of my house battery to the "2" post
5. connect the negative terminal of my house battery to the negative terminal of my starting battery
6. connect the red 12 gauge factory installed "accessories" wire to the positive terminal of my starting battery
7. connect the black 12 gauge factory installed "accessories" wire to the negative terminal of my starting battery
8. connect my stereo, amps, and ballast pumps to the house battery

If this sounds correct, please let me know. I'm not schooled in the ways of batteries and circuits and don't want to blow anything up. Also, it is my understanding that, with the above connections made, the following will happen:

1. when the switch is set to "off," the motor will not run but the accessories, stereo, and pumps, and anything else hooked up directly to each battery, will have power
2. when the switch is set on "1," the alternator will charge my starting battery and everything will have power
3. when the switch is set to "2," the alternator will charge my house battery and everything will have power
4. when the switch is set to "1+2," the alternator will charge both batteries and everything will have power

Does this sound correct? Originally, I thought of the 9001e as determining what battery provided power, but now I think I'm thinking of it more as an isolator that determines what battery is being charged by the alternator. I hope I'm right. And, I promise this will be my last battery post of 2013.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-14-2013, 3:06 PM Reply   
You have it right if you want it to work the way you described.

(i think)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-14-2013, 3:57 PM Reply   
I think you will have a better setup if you wire all loads to the C post of the switch. In this configuration, the alternator will charge which ever battery you have the switch turned to and the loads will only draw off which ever battery you have the switch turned to. When anchored, you can always have one battery held in reserve. When the switch is off, all loads are cut from the batteries. The exception is the auto bilge B+.