Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2014, 2:53 PM Reply   

Here is the most current pic... Rudder is in and I'm basically waiting till tomorrow to start cleaning it up more. Does the marine sealant really take 7 days to fully cure?
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-09-2014, 3:14 PM Reply   
Yes for a full cure, but you can use it after 24-48 hrs depending on the brand.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
3m 5200 is what I used
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-10-2014, 8:08 PM Reply   
We'll guys I took her out on the water this evening for the first time... I was for sure expecting a leak but to my surprise no noticeable leak... I started on it pretty easily and gradually went faster and harder and continually checked for leaks... Seemed to be fine. I guess only time will tell. I have it some hard turns at about 40+ mph and no problems what so ever... Turned with easily with one finger. However the PO replaced the thru hull drain that's under the v drive with a thru hull for ballast on a large shut off valve for pumping ballast into the rear bags. It leaked more than a few drops every 10 seconds so that will have to be addressed... Perfect pass worked great, the infinity tower speakers and pay we're great, not wet sounds or anything but they sounded clear. Everything that I know of seemed to workout. Thanks for all the help guys

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
Probably gonna find they are right on the backing too...not bashing...just educating
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
Just sold the boat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
What?? All that and you sold it.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2014, 5:13 PM Reply   
Yeah... For 16.5k. Can't turn down a 10k profit
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2014, 5:14 PM Reply   
Currently looking for another v drive under or around 10k same story needs a little work and or attention. Really want a Nautique 210
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-12-2014, 5:38 PM Reply   
LOL, that's awesome. Mr Boat Flipper. Just rode behind a G23 today. No other boat is adequate anymore.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
What you came across is very rare. Vdrives under 20K are tough to find. Unheard of around 10 or under..unless there is a hole in the bottom of the boat!!

I'm afraid that was probably a once in a lifetime for you. Making 10K after only a couple hundred bucks in fiberglass and your time. But hey, you never know. This is certainly the time of year to try and steal them.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-12-2014, 7:27 PM Reply   
So far this year I got a 2000 supra launch for 9500 and sold for 19,500, a 1997 Malibu vlx for 5700 and sold for 14,500, another 2000 centurion elite v drive for 8000 and sold for 16,500, a Sanger fx22 for 2750 and sold for 8000, and did about 5 I/O this year that I made at least 2k on each. I drive all over the country to by these boats at good deals when they pop up and every now and then get local I/Os if I can get them cheap enough. I got a project mastercraft xstar for sale for dirt cheap (4k) if anyone wants it... I'm not gonna have time to work on it this year with my other projects and school work.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-13-2014, 5:25 AM Reply   
Prime example of why you gotta be real careful looking at boats. Not sure if the OP disclosed that this was sunk and rudder port patched using weaker than standard method, but you gotta watch for this stuff as lots of people flip vehicles and just go quick and dirty to get it functional. At least this one is an obvious repair by looking at it so shame on the buyer if he missed it and has issues.

One thing I know about flipping any vehicle, but boats especially, is it is extremely difficult to make any money if you do quality work and use quality parts. Usually you end up having as much in it as average sale price or a bit over and most people don't want to pay for quality or are just oblivious to the difference between low and high quality work and parts.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-13-2014, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Prime example of why you gotta be real careful looking at boats. Not sure if the OP disclosed that this was sunk and rudder port patched using weaker than standard method, but you gotta watch for this stuff as lots of people flip vehicles and just go quick and dirty to get it functional. At least this one is an obvious repair by looking at it so shame on the buyer if he missed it and has issues.

One thing I know about flipping any vehicle, but boats especially, is it is extremely difficult to make any money if you do quality work and use quality parts. Usually you end up having as much in it as average sale price or a bit over and most people don't want to pay for quality or are just oblivious to the difference between low and high quality work and parts.
Bingo, not to mention that the interior looked smoked. Would hardly call $16.5k for that boat a good price, but that's me. Maybe these are in higher demand in the OPs area that I figure - at this time of year no less.

Anyway I generally agree with cadunkle above except the OP could have spent an additional $500 and made that patch better and more structurally sound. Good for the OP for cleaning $40grand plus buying and selling boats, that's great for someone his age - won't catch me buying any of them though
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-13-2014, 6:00 AM Reply   
I was completely upfront about the repair and open about it to the seller. Told him exactly what happened, and how it happened... He's from my area and I told him if something happened in the next year with that repair job I would make it right... Besides it won't really cost me anything anyways.
Old     (wakerider88)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-13-2014, 2:27 PM Reply   
you got pics of the xstar im interested in it
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-13-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
mastercraft xstar sell or trade $4000
http://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/4705383877.html
I already have the seats and engine pulled out.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-13-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
You have been a busy beaver! I bet there are some that are quite jealous of your buy/sell ability.

As far as your rudder repair went, as long as the area was the proper thickness and feathered/layered into good structure, you did it correctly. It would have been nicer to see a better picture of the gel coat work, or if that was it, to see a better gel repair; but that only adds beauty to the fix. Why some think you should have used wood in your repair is beyond me. Also, even if you need to fix it again or get a shop to do it, you are well ahead in the sale.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-13-2014, 6:54 PM Reply   
This is a better picture of what it looked like when I sold it. Not perfect but hey it's the bottom of the boat
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-14-2014, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespjackson95 View Post
mastercraft xstar sell or trade $4000
http://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/4705383877.html
I already have the seats and engine pulled out.
I tell you what, when I was looking for a boat the things that pissed me off was what you have in your ad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespjackson95 View Post
Centurion elite Mastercraft malibu supra tige nautique ski wakeboard perfect pass PerfectPass wakeboard wake board tower skate wake skate surf wakesurf inboard ballast fly high ronix liquid force hyperlite prostar tristar maristar xstar x-star x2 x45 x35 moomba boomerang centurion sea ray bayliner maxum mantaray 2001 cobalt center console yacht indmar ho saltare sunbird sunsport wakesetter wedge mb sports snowboard pontoon jetski jet ski glasstron direct drive vdrive v-drive mercury Jon boat crest liner chaparral craft cuddi
Malibu sunsetter vlx lsv Sanger bu fly high fat sack free glasstron chaparral mastercraft tige correct craft air nautique moomba centurion vlx lx direct v drive prostar open bow pro star euro F3 outback response sunsetter wakeboard ski waterski water sport competition tow boat gravity games response skier wake wakeskate fold ronix cwb liquid tower ronix trade corvette tahoe bayliner mastercraft tige correct craft air nautique moomba centurion vlx lx direct v drive prostar open bow pro star euro F3 outback response sunsetter wakeboard tower ronix trade wakeboard ski surf wakeskate waterskate waterski water sports tube tubing wake wave ballast pump system stereo competition gravity games tow boat corvette tahoe bayliner Tahoe, Maxum, SeaRay, Rinker, Bayliner, Glastron, Bluewater, Chaparral, Four Winns, bowrider Jetski, kawasaki, polaris, honda, three seater, tandum, tandam, tandom, two, VM, V/M, VM Custom Boat Trailers Bayliner, Ski Centurion, Ski Brendella, Four Winds, Sea Ray, Mastercraft, Chaparral, Blue Water, Malibu, Crownline, Reinell, Regal, Ski Sanger, Roseville, Citrus Heights, Upholstery , boat seats, boat repair malibu, MB, nautique, calabria, moomba, Supra, boat, wakeboard, wakesetter, X Star bank owned, repo, sale, cheap, Alum, Lund, Lowe, Alumaweld, North River, fishing, fish, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Reinell, Larson, 17', 18', 19', open bow, new boats, fun boat, fishing, fish n ski, repo, sale, bank owned, Bayliner, Glastron, Bluewater, Chaparral, Four Winns, bowrider boat tower wakebaord regal bimini ski rope
Though I searched for my boat for about a year, I never contacted anyone who had a bunch of irrelevant search terms in the ads and always flagged them, several times a week. Those people lost out on a sale to me, an eager buyer with cash in hadn adn willing to drive up to 600 miles each way for the right boat. It is spam, plain and simple, for those of us who know how to use a proper search string. I didn't mind as much only terms for inboard ski/wake boats were used but it was still annoying. The other thing that pisses me off and I flag are the idiots who post the same thing in every CL within a few hundred mile radius. I flag all those as well, given it is nothing but spam for those of us who use aggregators and false advertising for those who don't.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-14-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Yeah, spamming the search bugs me too. I frequently flag those posts.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-14-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
I would agree that that in general spammers are annoying. However, your out look is a bit one sided and doesn't consider every situation. I live/work in Minneapolis, but frequently am down in cental Iowa with my family to visit home. I also store my boat down at the family pole barn down there. That considered my boat is always moving back and forth between the two states. Thus, when i sold my prior mastercraft last year i had it listed in both minneapolis and des moines. Just food for thought before you go on a flagging rampage... not saying that many times its not justified though!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-14-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
He talking about putting words in your post to catch a search. Like when someone advertises a skateboard and puts wakeboard in the post.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-14-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Someone who wants a skateboard might not know they want a wakeboard until they see mine 😄
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-14-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Mastercraf_X5 View Post
I would agree that that in general spammers are annoying. However, your out look is a bit one sided and doesn't consider every situation. I live/work in Minneapolis, but frequently am down in cental Iowa with my family to visit home. I also store my boat down at the family pole barn down there. That considered my boat is always moving back and forth between the two states. Thus, when i sold my prior mastercraft last year i had it listed in both minneapolis and des moines. Just food for thought before you go on a flagging rampage... not saying that many times its not justified though!
I don't flag it if I only see the same add in two local CL... But when I see it in 5-10 all right next to each other I will flag every one of them. Usually these ones are posted multiple times, new listing for the same item every couple days. While your approach of listing in two areas is legitimate I'd probably still see it twice as I'd be searching in a 500+ mile radius unless I was in the market for something so common as to be a commodity, like a Taurus, where I could easily tighten that up to around 100 miles and have plenty to choose from.. Not a big deal though in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
He talking about putting words in your post to catch a search. Like when someone advertises a skateboard and puts wakeboard in the post.
But mostly this ^ is what I was referring to the the OPs CL ad. Look at all those unrelated keywords. It's a "Mastercraft Xstar inboard ski/wake boat", if even a few of those terms are present and I'm either looking for any inboard in a given price range or specifically a DD Xstar, I will find it quick and easy. But why is every other make of inboard listed there? Even worse are all the I/O and general beater boat terms in there, and everything else unrelated.

Other than getting constantly flagged for spam he may prevent potential buyers from seeing the ad. I exclude certain terms from searches... For example have you ever looked for a Malibu on CL? All you get are kayaks! So exclude anything containing kayak. Or if I'm looking for a Supra open bow or SNOB I will exclude terms like centurion, malibu, moomba, etc... If this clown is trying to sell a SNOB his spammy ad will not show up in my search. This stuff makes it difficult for both parties. I'm a bit of a CL ad snob because when I sell things I hate playing 101 questions with 101 people. When I put up an ad there usually aren't any questions to be asked aside from figuring a time to come inspect.