Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-12-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
This year for Christmas I want to get my Dad an ariel photograph of our ranch, but i'm not having any luck finding a place where I can get a hi-res picture that can be blown up. I want use it as a map for our deer stand locations, so each hunter can flag the stand they are hunting. Any ideas as to where I might find something like that? A few years ago I got a pilot to fly over our place and take pictures, but he never got one of the full property. Here are a couple he took. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
You might check and see if there is a local RC Club in your area. Many of these guys have the gear to get the job done. Or know someone who will. Depending on how you're using it springtime when everything is green is usually the best time to do aerial photography properties tend to look much nicer when the grass and trees are green but if you're using it as a deer hunting map maybe during deer season is your best time to take the photos.
If you can't find a RC guy to do it for you you could contact your local airport and see if there someone that could do it for you OR take you up and you can take the pic's yourself. I can't see a guy charging you more the $100-$200 to take you for a spin. + it would be fun to go for a ride so you could kill 2 birds with one stone. Fun + making a cool gift.
Another option would be for you to buy your own quad copter (check out the DJI copters) a total armature can operate one that will set you back $500-$600 and get a Go Pro or another HD cam and you can then do it yourself?
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       12-17-2013, 5:42 PM Reply   
I sent you a PM. I have a friend that can handle it for you.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-18-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
i've never used this site but i've looked around it before. i've never gotten a quote either.
http://www.mapmart.com/
Old     (overstreet31)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
www.mytopo.com
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-18-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
Thanks guys!
Grant you're right spring is the best time for ariel pics, I just thought maybe one of these maps would show the place good enough for what I needed. Turns out I'm probably going to wait till spring. I think it will turn out a lot better using an actual picture, but that mapmart site is pretty cool. I'm still trying to figure it out.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-18-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
Can I come visit with my son and hunt with you?

You can come visit us in San Diego it was 85 yesterday
Old     (overstreet31)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
forgot to mention... www.mytopo.com you can choose topo, aerial, or satellite imaging. Can also get various sized prints on different papers. I have a 5 ft by 8 ft of my deercamp on the camp wall that is printed on dry erase paper that allows for writing and erasing. Very easy to use to make and change location of deer stands, feeders, food plots, etc.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-18-2013, 10:20 AM Reply   
Hate- How old is your son? I've got a serious hog problem and a safe full of ARs. What kinda trade you wanna make?

Overstreet- That is exactly what I would like to do. We have something like a 4' x 8' table in our shop we all sit around, I figured I would get a map made that size and put it under the glass of the table. That way we can sit down and discuss stand locations, wind directions, travel patterns of animals, write on it and wipe it off. Any pics of yours?
Old     (overstreet31)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-18-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
nauti 210 - not at the moment but I will be going to the camp tomorrow and can post a pic of it then. It is an awesome map and the quality is second to none.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-18-2013, 11:02 AM Reply   
great, thank you!