Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gorfml)      Join Date: May 2012       05-13-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
Been out of the wake boarding scene for 10 years. Back in the day my friends and I were on the lake 3 times a week and took it pretty seriously. Now I got a big family and want to start again for fun with the kids and also with some old buds.

I was surprised how much boat prices have gone up in 10 years so I guess I ain't getting a new nautique . Anyways...what to get? Prolly need something larger than 21 that's family friendly but also makes an awesome wake. Any suggestions?
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-13-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
If your looking to get new or very close to new I would look into the 23ft mb's or Sangers even the 21fts are very spacious.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-13-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/BoatMarketplace/Home.aspx

go crazy
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-13-2012, 5:38 PM Reply   
Axis A22 (New/Newer)
Malibu 23 LSV (3-4 years old)
MB 21 or 23 Widebody (New/Newer)
Old     (Gorfml)      Join Date: May 2012       05-13-2012, 5:55 PM Reply   
Hehe I'm so old I haven't even heard of axis or mb. How's the quality of these boats compared to correct craft, Malibu master craft etc?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
Axis is made by Malibu and MB has PCM power plant.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-13-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
I have a Mastercraft X-Star for sale its a 2006.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ376802794
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-13-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
You said the magic words... "family friendly." IMHO, that means clean wake a slower speeds. Nother worse than trying to teach your kid to ride in and out of the wake, and it's all washed out... very intimidating for the little ones.

I used to read posts about Axis and the clean wakes at slow speeds. Honestly, I didn't believe them. Now that I have a Malibu VLX (similar wake characteristics as Axis), I see what they mean.

Iv'e had both MB and Malibu... the Bu has a much better wake a slow speeds. I towed my daughter yesterday for the first time at 18 mph and the wake was perfectly clean. I probably could have gone slower, but I was using Malibu's "beginner wakeboard" preset. On my MB I'd have to be at 20-21 mph before it cleaned up all the way. That 3-4 mph is a big difference for the kids.

Bu wake at 18mph (crappy cell phone pics).

Old    TN22            05-13-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
I would look at a loaded Moomba LSV if it was me, good clean wake at slow speeds and very family friendly boat. Not to mention you can get it completely loaded for under 55k
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-13-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
I was in the same spot you are at now and I went between MB and Sanger. Inreased my budget some in the end and went with a Sanger 237. Was real close to a MB but they did not have the boat I wanted to show my wife. Had 16 people in the boat last week so go big if you plan on having a big crew every weekend. Good luck. Lots of great choices.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2012, 10:30 PM Reply   
x2 what DBC said about his VLX. My Axis A22 is clean at 18mph (gps calibrated) and that is with a little bit of ballast in it. Have not done a "no ballast" test and probably won't because I have lead in her.

I assume you want new so:
Axis A22
MB 23 TWB (Although their 21' ers have good cabin size due to short bow and short sun pad)
supra (although you may have same clean-wake-at-slow-speeds issues as with MB as DBC said)
as for the other budget boats... calabria, supreme, sanger, moomba, I have only experienced moomba and for the same price I would go Axis or MB all day long

If you want a boat that is a few years old, it opens the possibilities to almost anything... maybe even a nautique, although a 230 for $55k would be older or beat up a bit, but a 210 may be possible.

10 years has increased prices significantly, but the boats are sign wider and nicer, so a 21' 10 years ago is noticeably smaller than a 21' 2012 wake boat.

good luck and have fun demoing all the boats....
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-14-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said. Demo demo demo.

I made the switch from Nautique to Axis, and I have been very pleased with the A22. You really do get a lot for your money with an Axis. That being said, there are a lot of choices out there in the $55k price range. Like others have mentioned, MB and Sanger also offer new models in your price range. I'm on the East coast, and no one I know owns either of those brands, so I'm not particularly familiar with them, but the interior of the MB's I've seen on line are very nice.

For me, it boiled down to (1) what boats were available in my area, which were nautique, mastercraft, supra, moomba, centurion, malibu and axis; (3) quality of wake; and (4) price. I'm fortunate enough to have great local dealers for all of those brands, so I limited my choice last year to those brands. There is an mb dealer in Knoxville, but I'm just not going to drive 2 hours each way towing a boat for service/warranty issues. Plus, I like to keep my money local, if possible, and support the shops that throw tournaments and do demos in my area. As for the wake, I had ridden, and knew that I liked the wakes behind the vlx, lsv, x1, xstar, and 210. I've got 2 kids and a crew of people that likes to ride, so I wanted at least 22ft, so that x1 and 210 were out. I liked the Xstar, but it really feels like a 21ft boat, and I had heard that mc was retiring the hull, so that boat was out. Between the lsv, vlx and A22, I liked the wake behind the A22 the best. In terms of price, the LSV and VLX were up there in the same ballpark as the 210 and XStar. At the end of the day, I felt like I got everything I needed with the A22 for a price that allowed me not to have to borrow any money. I liked that.

Now, all this being said, everyone's different. Obviously, there are plenty of people out there who want to spend the extra coin for a boat that has a nicer interior than an Axis, with touch screens, and a lot of nice complex vinyl. Hell, I used to buy some pretty darn expensive boats too. There's nothing wrong with wanting what you want, and, if you can afford it, buying it. Just demo demo demo, think hard about what you can afford, do some research on resale values, try to determine what you plan to use the boat for, how long you plan to keep it, what happens if you have an issue with the boat and it needs to be fixed, etc. etc.

Best of luck to you. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices that have been suggested so far.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-14-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Dude you have so many choices at the price point- check out the best dealers with the best service first that are close to you, then select your boat. The choices today are pretty awesome and there really aren't a lot of bad moves to make. all of the usual suspects are good as are some of the newer ones. About the only boat I would avoid is the EPIC- it's purpose built for professional-level riders.

Good luck- have fun!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-14-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
You said the magic words... "family friendly." IMHO, that means clean wake a slower speeds. Nother worse than trying to teach your kid to ride in and out of the wake, and it's all washed out... very intimidating for the little ones.

I used to read posts about Axis and the clean wakes at slow speeds. Honestly, I didn't believe them. Now that I have a Malibu VLX (similar wake characteristics as Axis), I see what they mean.

Iv'e had both MB and Malibu... the Bu has a much better wake a slow speeds. I towed my daughter yesterday for the first time at 18 mph and the wake was perfectly clean. I probably could have gone slower, but I was using Malibu's "beginner wakeboard" preset. On my MB I'd have to be at 20-21 mph before it cleaned up all the way. That 3-4 mph is a big difference for the kids.
Could not be more true, and it's the thing I miss the most about our 'bu. We were out this weekend too. @23 our MB's wake is money, but towing my wife at 19 (she's not too agro) with the tanks empty it was clean on one side and crumbly on the other.

Having done a week behind an xstar at the Boarding School with my son earlier this spring, I was a little worried about how the MB wake was going to compare. At the same length with two people in the boat (vs 6 in xstar), the MB wake is definitely a touch narrower and much lippier. I was really happy with our boat's wake after a week behind the industry standard. (<<<< I am an absolute crap beginner who is just getting 180s wake to wake both ways, so take my opinion forr what it's worth)
Old     (Gorfml)      Join Date: May 2012       05-14-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Thx guys. Definitely gonna check out the axis a22. What's th
Old     (Gorfml)      Join Date: May 2012       05-14-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Oops...what's the story with the Malibu Vride?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-14-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
The Vride is also a great option. It's the pre-09 VLX hull. I owned an '07 vlx and loved it. I find the wake has a bit thinner of a lip than the A22, but that hull surfs a bit better. The fit and finish of the Vride is very nice. I have never been partial to the swoop tower design, but that's just me. I think its a few k more than the A22 if comparably equipped.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-14-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
Is the '09 hull on the Vride worse than other years??
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-14-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
09 and up vride = 05-08 vlx hull
05-08 vride = 2000-04 vlx hull

09 vride hull should be money. 2010 saw introduction of the g3 tower, though, which IMHO is well worth the money over the illusion tower (if you want a forward swept tower design at all).
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-14-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
MB B52 in a 23ft hands down. Hear me out...

I've been fortunate enough to ride all the boats out there minus the new G23 and new Xstar. I ride my Super Air Team 2002 with 3000lbs in it so I obviuosly have high standards for wakes. My buddy got a 23ft (2011, which is when they started this new hull), and he doesn't ride much.

First to note the interior was ridiculously spacious and well put together in my opinion, it all seemed built to last and lots of storage. The ballast is all gravity filled so you never replace a pump and on the 2011 it has 1800lbs stock ballast and I think the 2012 is about 2300lbs.

The wake, I want a knee high and bigger wake whenever possible. We had three people in the boat and I filled the ballast plus a 650lb sac against the back seat and a 400 in the front, so nothin too crazy. The wake was massive with just that, a nice big snowboard kicker with an extra kick at the top. I ride 80' and it's fairly wide at 24mph, my favorite wake hands down. Just don't tell my 210 that hahaha.

I would get this over any new boat out there (other than the nautique g23, but it's $110k soooo no thanks). Oh and drove amazing weighted too
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-14-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I asked about the Vride bc a friend is selling his '09 and wasnt sure about the hull.

2009 Malibu VRide,Single Owner - Beautiful 2009 Malibu vRide purchased new in March 2010. 250 Hours on the LCR 320HP engine. This boat has been garaged 100% of the time, regularly maintenanced and never been in salt water. Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer with power brakes and swing tongue. Comes with Wedge, boat cover, custom matching orange and black bimini, tower, swivel wakeboard racks, double battery and flip up driver seat bolster. Massive stereo system composed of Rockford Fosgate internal speakers with added (4) Wet Sounds Pro 80 Tower speakers, (2)DB Drive 4x125 Amps, and (1)DB Drive 1x1100 Amp pushing a DB Drive 12" 1000w sub. The stereo is LOUD and CLEAN. Prop has been upgraded to ACME #1235 for more low end to support the extra ballast. Ballast is comprised of the stock 3 tank Malibu Launch ballast system upgraded with an additional 42 gallon tank on each side of the rear compartments; all four rear tanks are supplied/drained by reversible Jabsco ballast puppies controlled at the drivers console
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
I know that exact boat why is he selling???
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-14-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Don't forget Tige, you should be able to find a 22Ve (traditional V bow) or an RZ2 (pickle fork bow=bigger and more room) for that price range, maybe even find a 24Ve or RZ4. Do you research and homework and get what works best for you. Starting here is a good start!

Also, make sure that the dealer for youre brand is close by when you need service and check to see that the dealer in question is reputable. That can be as important as the brand of boat these days, as most boats are fairly comprable. If the dealer is bad and you need service but they can't get you in the door for 3 weeks, that could be a problem.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-14-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
I like that VRide for sure, and if you know him you will know how he took care of it. Like that fact on top. something to think about.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-14-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Another boat to consider is the new Moomba Mojo. Priced around what you want to spend, its a big deep boat. Its prettynew but the pics surfacing of the wake and wave are all very good. My buddy will have his in 2 weeks and we will post up a ton pf pics. This boat goes head to head very well with the A22, similar size, price and features. I persoanlly prefer the interior and materials/Vinyl/SS and layout inside the Mojo but that is just personal preference. The Axis has much better marketing and WW support I think and the wake is top notch, not a lot of people have rode the Mojo yet. Drive them all or at least sit in them all.

One other thing to consider is resale. I recently sold my Moomba and it was very easy to sell even after 4 years and 400 hours. I sold it for close to what I bought it for. When looking I noticed that the MB's were having a tough time selling even new at a close price to my used. That's not to knock MB, but they aren't as well known and easy to sell so this might be something to consider. The MB dealer here actually has to put "Moomba, Malibu, Mastercraft" in their ads to get people to read them so I think that is a bit of a sign but again nothing against the boats or the brand. I was very close to ordering an MB F24 but went another direction.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-14-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
I like that VRide for sure, and if you know him you will know how he took care of it. Like that fact on top. something to think about.
Im not buying his boat just wanted to find out about the hull as I know its been meticulously maintained.

Tampawake...he told me he was getting out of boating temporarily but not for good. I was hoping he was going to say bc he was buying a G23 lol
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-15-2012, 12:38 AM Reply   
that V-ride up there is the reason I bought my A22 without riding it with extra weight. A buddy had an 07 vlx (same v25 hull as the 09+ vride 21) and had it weighted perfectly. The Axis A22 needs a few hundred more pounds than the V25 hull but has almost the same wake, as far as I could tell. I test drove the A22 and it felt just like the bu, then I rode it stock ballast 900 + wedge, and it was considerably smaller than a bu with the 1250 stock plus ballast. However, I knew the hull was very similar, knew it is a malibu built boat, and knew what another couple thousand pounds would do to the axis... now that I have it and loaded it up, it will be hard to tell the difference between my buddies 07 vlx and my a22.

Almost went with a 2011 vride, except it was about 5K more than the A22 and did not have many "rider features" as the axis. If price and options would have been the same, I probably would have been a 2011 vride 21 owner right now cuz the wife loves that boat.
Old     (fluid)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-15-2012, 4:45 AM Reply   
I have a crystal clean 2010 Supra 24V Worlds for sale, i'll let it go for $55,000!!
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-25-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN22 View Post
I would look at a loaded Moomba LSV if it was me, good clean wake at slow speeds and very family friendly boat. Not to mention you can get it completely loaded for under 55k
I owned a Moomba LSV Mobius for 12 years, great boat. Never gave me any problems, started and dragged us around the lake with 3,000 lbs of ballast summer after summer. Finally sold it. Skiers Choice builds a great boat for half the price of more popular, sponsored rider, heavily marketed boats.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-26-2016, 5:53 AM Reply   
that 2010 worlds 24v would be a perfect boat. its hard to find a 24 ft boat for 55k. todd may have hit the nail on the head.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-26-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
holy thread revival batman
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-26-2016, 1:20 PM Reply   
no kidding. You can probably buy that boat for 30
Old     (jslipher)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-02-2016, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Been out of the wake boarding scene for 10 years. Back in the day my friends and I were on the lake 3 times a week and took it pretty seriously. Now I got a big family and want to start again for fun with the kids and also with some old buds.

I was surprised how much boat prices have gone up in 10 years so I guess I ain't getting a new nautique . Anyways...what to get? Prolly need something larger than 21 that's family friendly but also makes an awesome wake. Any suggestions?
I am selling a 2009 VLX that is under your price target. You should check it out:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Mal...ana-54666.aspx
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-03-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslipher View Post
I am selling a 2009 VLX that is under your price target. You should check it out:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Mal...ana-54666.aspx
I think the OP may have found a boat in the last 4 or so years of looking.
Old     (Mgigs7)      Join Date: Mar 2016       03-03-2016, 7:57 AM Reply   
I'm selling my boat. A little more than what you are looking for but a great boat.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-16-...ois-51635.aspx