Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
I'm almost done with the install, but I have a question. My swim platform (99 x star) flexes up and down about 3/4 of an inch when someone steps in the center of it. So, if I mount the two support rods to the swim platform, they too will go up and down about 3/4 of an inch, which will wiggle the FAE. I'm thinking this won't matter much as long as I check the hose clamps from time to time, but I wanted to get some other opinions. Of course, I'd love to hear from anyone with a trouble-free FAE mounted to a flexing swim platform . . . .
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       06-03-2014, 7:11 PM Reply   
my platform ('02 X30) doesn't really flex, but it does move up and down a bit when water pushes it up and down. no issues with the FAE. one of the exhaust rubber sleeves came off once but no big deal. after i reattached it, no problems since.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2014, 8:51 PM Reply   
2000 XStar and my platform has 0 flex to it.

Maybe order some teak pieces and reinforce it from the underside a bit. I have a little wiggle due to my platform brackets but as far as the teak flexing/bowing ......None. I would try and reinforce it. And seeing as how you're gonna be surfing or boarding with the FAE while reinforcing it you could benefit two ways You could also raise it a bit. I know on the 99's the platform sat real low like calf high when weighted.

If reinforcing it ain't your thing I bet the FAE helps give it little less flex. The mounts for it have flex hose so the FAE is not fully rigid so you won't have to worry. You should be good either way , but why not reinforce the deck sag while you have a reason.

Love my FAE

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-03-2014 at 8:54 PM.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
2000 xstar here with bendy swim platform. That has been putting me off an fae. My thoughts were to fix an angle bracket to the transom to stop it from bending. Alternatively can the fae supports not be direct mounted to the transom ?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-04-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
I've talked to Larry at FAE about this very issue. He says that they were likewise concerned about swim platform flex when they designed the system, but they've found it to not really be much of an issue. I guess the rubber couplings seem to handle the flex okay.

As far as alternative methods of mouting, if you have a fixed trim tab (where there's only turnbuckles to adjust it or no adjustment whatsoever) they've had successful installs using that as the support brace.

Here are some pictures they sent me:

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-05-2014, 8:16 PM Reply   
Thanks so much for your comments and pics guys. I really appreciate it. This forum is an amazing resource. Almost too amazing, as I often find myself hesitant to pull the trigger on something without running it by everyone here first. I raised the platform an inch and a half by putting Azek between my mounts and my platform, and incorporated an Azek support beam (which I stiffened with stainless steel angle iron, probably overkill) underneath the platform, which I mounted the FAE brackets to. It was dark when I finished but I'll post up some pics this weekend. Thanks again!!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-17-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Here it is fellas. I'm 97 percent sure it's not going anywhere. Who cares about the other 3 percent ....Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1403021288426.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  74.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1403021319803.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  75.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1403021340873.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  73.6 KB
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-17-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
Definitely overkill, but you know what's wrong with that? Nothing.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2014, 1:53 PM Reply   
Nice job
I am sure you are going to appreciate the raised platform. Enjoy the quiet !!!!!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-19-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I got to run it for the first time last night and everything is fine. I can't believe the reduction in engine noise. The first time I started it up, I kept the ignition key turned too long waiting for the familiar "vroom" and then realized that the motor was already running. I did notice a few subtle changes in the driving characteristics of my boat - it takes about 150 more RPMs to plane off, which I don't mind a bit, and stops a little quicker when you come off the throttle, which I like. All in all, I think it's great. Now, I'm thinking of taking the "quiet boat" theme to the next level by incorporating some sound deadening material underneath my back hatch like the car audio guys do in their vehicles. With the FAE plus some sound deadening material plus a few more Wetsounds upgrades I'm thinking of renaming my boat (which is currently stripped of all decals) "Quiet Riot" for laughs.