Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've been around here, but now that my kids are old enough I'm thinking it's time to get back on the wake, and to take them with me. So here's my question: What is your opinion of this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

When I first saw it it was under $50k for this 2008 40th Anniversary X-Star that is essentially new with only 30 hours on it. I'm thinking about bidding, but now that it's gone over $50k it's gone from "a steal" to "a deal" in my opinion. I'm thinking this won't be the last deal of its kind that I come across, especially with winter coming up. Then again, it's a dang X-Star, the price is good, and the loan is approved.

Also, I had a 2006 X2 before. I'd love it if those of you with experience with both could tell me what you think of the difference between the two boats. Trailering weight, fuel economy, size, and features are some of my primary questions.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

AUCTION ENDS JUST SIX HOURS FROM THE TIME OF THIS POST!

Last edited by 3domfighter; 09-30-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Edit to add the auction closing time.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
Also, any sellers or dealers out there who want to put forth a competing offer for a different boat, please feel free!
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-30-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
as you mention, it may just be a deal, but $55k for that boat is a very good deal. a friend owns a 2008 x-star and the wake is super solid.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Agreed. I may be overthinking this.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-30-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
All the "real" bidding will take place in the last 5 minutes probably. $52k is a steal on that boat. Steal. Its almost brand new. Either way, that is a nice boat!
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
Yeah, I blew it. When the bidding was at 48k I he offered to end the auction for $52k, but I hadn't obtained the loan yet and I didn't want to screw up his sale if I got denied. Look like if I still want the boat that's gonna cost me!
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
Is there a premium for the Anniversary Edition over the normal X-Stars?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
I love the 40th Anniversery boat but you may want to open your mind to X15 if you are going to consider newer/used Mastercrafts. The mastercraft is really only good for 2 things. Looking dead sexy(especially the 40th) and an amazing wakeboard wake(with an extra 2k in ballast). The boat isn't good for surfing, doesn't have that much room in it, etc.. The X15 will get you most of the Xstar wake, is better for surfing, probably slightly cheaper, can do better with the MCX engine, has way more room in cockpit, etc.. I really, really like the Xstar but it is more because of the wow factor and pure wakeboard wake potential. If you can get a good deal on the 40th I say go for it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3domfighter View Post
Is there a premium for the Anniversary Edition over the normal X-Stars?
I think there is but some of it might just be because they were generally completely loaded including crazy trailer, big engine, 4 tower speakers, etc..
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-30-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
That's a steal. If I had 52k laying around, you'd be competing with me. Hell, I'm even local to the seller. 60k-70k for that boat is still a great deal.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
The boat isn't good for surfing, doesn't have that much room in it, etc.. The X15 will get you most of the Xstar wake, is better for surfing, probably slightly cheaper, can do better with the MCX engine, has way more room in cockpit, etc.. I really, really like the Xstar but it is more because of the wow factor and pure wakeboard wake potential. If you can get a good deal on the 40th I say go for it.
Thanks for the input! Can you elaborate on the surfing aspect? I have read that the MCX engine isn't made to handle the weight and speed that is used for wakesurfing and has trouble, but I figured with the larger engine that problem would be solved. I'm 34 and the knees are going, so I'm more of a surfer now. I'd guess we'd use the boat 60% surf/40% board. We could make the X2 throw a beautiful wave, but I've never even been in an X-Star. I just assumed it would be as good as the X2 plus some.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaze08 View Post
That's a steal. If I had 52k laying around, you'd be competing with me. Hell, I'm even local to the seller. 60k-70k for that boat is still a great deal.
Haha! I was worried even posting it in case I might dredge up some competition, but a deal like this I figure already circulated to most of the current buyers, plus the market is what the market is, right? $60k seems to be about what the prevailing average sale price would be under normal circumstances.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-30-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
My guess is that in the next 4 hours, that boat will go for close to 60K...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the input! Can you elaborate on the surfing aspect? I have read that the MCX engine isn't made to handle the weight and speed that is used for wakesurfing and has trouble, but I figured with the larger engine that problem would be solved. I'm 34 and the knees are going, so I'm more of a surfer now. I'd guess we'd use the boat 60% surf/40% board. We could make the X2 throw a beautiful wave, but I've never even been in an X-Star. I just assumed it would be as good as the X2 plus some.
It has a very unique hull shape that doesn't lend itself well to surfing. You have to put a ton of weight in it and even then it isn't a great wave and is close to the platform. The cockpit on the Star is actually smaller then the X2. It just has a bigger sunpad and bigger bow. The MCX is OK in a star if you know what to expect. With the MCX and the pro tour setup or similar you will need to prop down a lot to where you will only be having a top speed or low to mid 30's. For your use I would definately suggest looking at the X15 and then add as big of sacks as possible to the rear(for surfing and boarding) as well as a bow integrated sack for under the bow seats.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-30-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
even if it does sell, don't be surprised if it falls through with the winning bidder, it often does. Reach out to the guy after the auction ends and ask him to contact you if the deal falls through...

IMO.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
even if it does sell, don't be surprised if it falls through with the winning bidder, it often does. Reach out to the guy after the auction ends and ask him to contact you if the deal falls through...

IMO.
Yeah, I thought about that, but the high bidder has over 2200 feedbacks at 100%. He obviously knows his way around eBay, and it would be taking the risk of losing this boat. Even at higher prices boats with such low hours are few and far between. I just don't know--these big decisions can get really emotional!
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
It has a very unique hull shape that doesn't lend itself well to surfing. You have to put a ton of weight in it and even then it isn't a great wave and is close to the platform. The cockpit on the Star is actually smaller then the X2. It just has a bigger sunpad and bigger bow. The MCX is OK in a star if you know what to expect. With the MCX and the pro tour setup or similar you will need to prop down a lot to where you will only be having a top speed or low to mid 30's. For your use I would definately suggest looking at the X15 and then add as big of sacks as possible to the rear(for surfing and boarding) as well as a bow integrated sack for under the bow seats.
Wow, that's really good to know in advance. Thanks again for chiming in.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
The surf wave on the star is fine, I ride mine 6-8' back the issue isn't that you ride close it's that the wave gets cut by the swim platform so the top is mushy. I lay two 500lbs bags on the port seats for surfing, I wouldn't call that a ton more like a half ton.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-30-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowslider76 View Post
The surf wave on the star is fine, I ride mine 6-8' back the issue isn't that you ride close it's that the wave gets cut by the swim platform so the top is mushy. I lay two 500lbs bags on the port seats for surfing, I wouldn't call that a ton more like a half ton.
"fine" is probably an adequate term.. I've ridden Jasons ^^ wave a few times - "fine" is appropriate. No one is going to give it some glowing review and it wont be pulling any surf contets - but its' fine.

if I was 60% surfing, 40% boarding - I'd think long and hard about what that ratio might be in 3-5 years from now..

There are better surf waves but there are no better wb wakes.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-30-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
BTW - that 40th is friggin ridiculously sexy..
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
BTW - that 40th is friggin ridiculously sexy..
I second that!
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
@polarbill - I checked out the X15 and the deal breaker there for me is the lack of pickle-fork. I had a Tige before the X2 and I loved the extra space and accessibility that the squared-off bow affords. I have to admit I also love the look.

$54k and counting....
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
Not sure if you'll be able to see this or not but here's a video of the surf wave.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2154131900188
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
@polarbill - I checked out the X15 and the deal breaker there for me is the lack of pickle-fork. I had a Tige before the X2 and I loved the extra space and accessibility that the squared-off bow affords. I have to admit I also love the look.

$54k and counting....
Yeah, if you are set on a picklefork there is no point in looking at the X15. The biggest difference is you get more space in the cockpit in the 15 and less in the nose then the xstar.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Here are a couple xstars not too far from you.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28230

Here is the old bone crusher.
http://www.norcalmastercraft.com/det...d-7428445.html

http://californiaskier.mastercraft.c...&sortDir=DESC&

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/2543522482.html
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
We have ours for sale. 2008 6.0 loaded 280 hours with a giant stereo. 50k. I'll even bring it to you.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowslider76 View Post
Not sure if you'll be able to see this or not but here's a video of the surf wave.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2154131900188
Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have permission to view the page. Well, I'm glad that there's some privacy left, but I'd like to see the video. I think I'll visit youtube. I should of thought of that. Thanks for the tip.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen View Post
We have ours for sale. 2008 6.0 loaded 280 hours with a giant stereo. 50k. I'll even bring it to you.
Can you send me pics immediately? 3domfighter@cox.net
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Thought I'd seen them all, but two of these were new to me. I'm pretty set on 2007+, and MCX is a dealbreaker. I meant to call on the one you called "bonecrusher" today. Looked like a deal, but I find it isn't a good sign when the hours aren't listed. 300+ hours is another dealbreaker. I'd really like something under 100, but if it has been well maintained I'm somewhat flexible. Thanks for the legwork. I was up til 4am searching and still missed a couple.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/2543522482.html

Giggety giggety giggety to that one as long as I can negotiate in a budget for a new wrap. I may abandon the auction for that. Prefer the new display for 2008--anyone know if that can be retrofitted?

Last edited by 3domfighter; 09-30-2011 at 2:37 PM. Reason: add link
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Josh, that one I said is bone crusher is the one Al is talking about. That is his old boat. I would jump on that in a heartbeat if I was set on an xstar.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Josh, that one I said is bone crusher is the one Al is talking about. That is his old boat. I would jump on that in a heartbeat if I was set on an xstar.
Good to know. Between Bone Crusher and that low-hour 2007 I'm seriously re-thinking flying to Indiana to tow that other one to SB, sexy as it may be. Man, I wish I found it earlier. I feel like I'm majorly under the gun here. T-minus one hour (give or take)

By the way, anyone out there looking for boat financing, I have been surprisingly impressed with BofA. They gave me a decision within an hour, I got 4.9% financing for 15 year w/ no prepayment penalty, they'll finance it with zero down even including the tax & licensing if I want to, and they said they can fund it within 24-48 hours.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
Just looked up BoneCrusher. The fact that I didn't know what it was right off the bat makes me feel old. I'm interested in the details of the available warranty and more pictures...allen, should I just call NorCal Mastercraft to ask about it?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-30-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
Sold for 56K.

Pretty decent deal if it all is as it seems.

30 hours is almost too few. Makes a guy wonder if he would take the time to winterize/maintain something that he only used for 10 hours per year.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2011, 10:12 PM Reply   
I think it was actually $55,050, but yeah, someone got a good deal. Last month the same model was bid up to $66,600 without hitting the reserve. $55,000 was my top dollar on this one since transport would have been a substantial additional cost. I don't regret missing it by only $50 because with the help of polarbill I found two right here in my backyard that are nearly as good a deal.

Strangely it seems like the X2 is holding its value better than the X-Star is. Just looking at asking prices, not sure what people are paying, but the ask for many X-Stars is less than the X2s of the same year. Odd.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-01-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
I assure you that X Star will not leave the owners hand for anything less than $68k That ebay listing is only a gauge for what ebayer are willing to bid on that auction seems like everyone looking for a great deal however real listings will have a buy it now price or a reserve
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-01-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I am going to have a mint low hour 40th X-Star w/ 8.1 big block available in the next week or so at our dealership. Contact me or keep an eye on our used site.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-02-2011, 7:39 PM Reply   
I think something is fishy with that listing.... that is really cheap for such a loaded 40th anniversary with the 6.0 and trailer.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Josh did you get my pictures I sent you?
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2011, 4:02 AM Reply   
Pretty sure the listing was real. He was too spotty with his email responses to be a scammer, and I spoke to the guy on the phone which scammers never do. He was low pressure and never pushed me for a deposit. I guess the high bidder hadn't secured financing yet so I got a call telling me he'd give it to me for $52k. I bought Allen's X-Star instead. He just dropped it off to me tonight and I can't wait to molest it all day tomorrow. Thanks man! Hope you had a mellow trip to Long Beach.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-06-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Nice Josh. Congrats. Post up some pics when you get her setup how you want and get her out on the water.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
You know I will! And thanks for all your advice. BTW, that 2012 X2 you posted is slick! The X25 or another X2 are both gorgeous, but I've been dreaming of an X-Star for the better part of a decade--it was time to make that dream a reality. I feel like I got a really good deal considering the over-the-top stereo that alone would retail more than most small automobiles. Three or four years from now I'll probably move on to the X25....
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
Here we go again: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...#ht_500wt_1182

Someone needs to figure out if this guy is for real or not. Doesn't anyone in Indiana or thereabouts want a screaming deal on an X-Star? You need to see it in person though because I'm now wondering if this is a scam. He basically talked me out of sending him a $5k deposit at one point, but on the other hand he says the boat is in Indiana, he had a Florida phone number listed in the original ad (which would just ring for about 30 seconds and then disconnect), and he called me from a Georgia number. I ended up buying a different boat, but it was partially because this guy was really slow at answeing his emails and wasn't answering my phone calls. I'm glad he didn't because I'm happy with what I got, but it was just strange. i couldn't help wondering if the fact that I asked for copies of the title and registration before I wired any money was the reason he stopped responding. Then again, maybe he's just a busy guy who's relocating from Indiana to Florida and is in Georgia on business. Someone ought to find out. 2008 40th Anniversary Edition X-Star with great options and 30 hours for $50k or so? Someone has to let me know if that's for real.
Old     (drodanojr)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-09-2011, 6:37 PM Reply   
I'm not completely sure but I'm thinking this is a scam. I had remembered seeing that this boat had been listed for sale more than a year ago. I found the original listing. I know that this boat sold because I remember the original owner talking about it on mastercraft team talk. The original owner of the boat is also the owner of the car dealer of the site it was listed on. I think I remember him saying that he gets a new Mastercraft every year, and that's why it had almost no hours. I find it hard to believe that someone has had this boat for that long and didn't put a single minute on it, and is willing to pretty much give it away. High $60's is more of the market I think this boat would go for. I'm at least hoping I'm right on that, as I have a saltwater series 40th x-star i've posted up on the classifieds here that i've got priced in that range.
Old     (drodanojr)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-09-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
I tried embedding the link but I guess I did it wrong. http://www.eliteautosllc.com/vehicle...de/view/id/172
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-09-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
You guys honestly couldn't figure out that was a scam? Damn. Well, if you didn't know, now you know. That listing is a scam. 0 feedback? Help shipping the boat to Europe or Australia? 30 hours on a 2008? Tens of thousands of $ under it's value? Seriously guys
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crawley View Post
You guys honestly couldn't figure out that was a scam? Damn. Well, if you didn't know, now you know. That listing is a scam. 0 feedback? Help shipping the boat to Europe or Australia? 30 hours on a 2008? Tens of thousands of $ under it's value? Seriously guys
I've bought six cars off of ebay and dozens of other big-ticket items. I've seen scams before. You are correct that some red flags exist with this listing, but there are also a lot of things that indicate the opposite. Particularly the fact that he was willing to speak on the phone and he was willing to show the boat before taking a deposit. I offered him $5,000 deposit to hold the boat for me while I get financed and he wrote back that his interest is to sell the boat, not make $5000. A scammer would have just said OK send it on over. Maybe this guy is more sophisticated than the average internet con artist and he's going for the full amount and putting more time and effort into it. I typically see the standard scam where they're just aiming for the deposit. The only way to know is for someone in the area to do what he offered for me to do, which is go see it before the end of the auction.

And you are incorrect in your opinion of its value. Its current fair market value is whatever a no reserve auction goes to, which last time was $55,050. The second-hand boat market is extremely soft right now. I saw at least 3 late model X-Stars with under 100 hours on them for $50k or less before I bought mine. It may be less than the NADA value, but that's the case with a lot of things these days, especially boats.
Old     (Brock)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-11-2011, 3:11 AM Reply   
I've been trying to get a hold of this guy also. I saw this boat listed a few weeks ago and tried to get a hold of the seller but I had no response. It was supposed to be listed locally but there was nothing I could find. Like you said, the phone # just rang and rang. When it was re-listed this week I emailed him and he replied back and gave me another phone number. It was conveniently out of service and the area code originates from the Mariana Islands. Can you say Scam!!! The pics also looked like some I had seen before from the dealer you spoke of earlier and I reported the listing to ebay. Not sure why ebay hasn't caught on to this.
Old     (h2oskier14)      Join Date: May 2009       11-19-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
I'm in the market right now for either a used X-Star or a new Axis A-22, let me know if you have any leads on either boat. Also I need the 400hp motor in the Axis.
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-23-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Check out the black & yellow X star for sale at action water sports.com